Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: Orbcomm OG2, July 14, 2014 (finally!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've resisted using this before, but in light of the latest delay, I can't stop myself this time.

picard-facepalm2.jpg

Actually I love that they are scrubbing due to weather; we want them to recover the first stage and tow it into port and show that all the non firing engines could potentially be reused after a real soft landing!!!

As Elon stated 75% of the cost is in the first stage....

I do realize that they have launch pressure do to backed up payloads; but I do like what they are doing with their 30% reserve.

Isn't the next launch attempt sometime today? Or no?
Apparently no.

Spaceflight Now -- Falcon 9 launch for Orbcomm slips to first week of July

MONDAY, JUNE 23, 2014
SpaceX and Orbcomm have announced they have pushed back the launch until at least the first week of July to resolve the issue that caused yesterday's scrub."SpaceX is taking a closer look at a potential issue identified while conducting pre-flight checkouts during yesterday's countdown," SpaceX said in a statement. "SpaceX will stand down Tuesday while our engineering teams evaluate further, which will also allow the Range to move forward with previously scheduled maintenance. We are currently targeting the first week of July and will work with the Range to confirm the next available launch opportunities."
SpaceX has not disclosed any information on the problem, but sources said the issue was with the Falcon 9 launcher.

*in a stoner voice* Just take out the sats, put in a stuffed Wile E. Coyote, and send it on it's way. Clear a path and light the fuse. We with you, man!

On that same ridiculous note, I just have to say that having a stuffed Wile Coyote either blow up on a real rocket or placed in orbit around the Earth would be strangely satisfying to me.

Well...it's the first week of July. Anyone still following this?

I checked the OG2 website and it says this:

<quote>We are now targeting Monday, July 14th with Tuesday July 15th as a back-up for launch of ORBCOMM's OG2 Mission 1 pending approval from the Air Force Range</quote>

So...alrighty then. See ya in a couple more weeks. lol

Well...it's the first week of July. Anyone still following this?

I checked the OG2 website and it says this:

<quote>We are now targeting Monday, July 14th with Tuesday July 15th as a back-up for launch of ORBCOMM's OG2 Mission 1 pending approval from the Air Force Range</quote>

So...alrighty then. See ya in a couple more weeks. lol

The reason for the latest delay (from first-of-July to mid-July) is that the Air Force Range out at Cape Canaveral had a two-week downtime scheduled for this summer, which was originally supposed to be in June but was delayed / pushed back with the earlier SpaceX launch attempts. So they are taking the downtime now, and SpaceX/ORBCOMM have to wait until they are back and operational before trying to launch again.

(DST posts moved to their own thread: Daylight Saving Time)

Static Fire scheduled for today the 11th -- unsure of time or even if that is published any more. The launch window opens on Monday the 14th at 9:21 AM EDT, ~2.5-hour window, and the next possible date would be Wednesday the 16th. (All from the NSF forums)

Last edited:
*sigh* and the launch has been postponed to the end of the launch window, which seems to indicate that there is some trouble, wouldn't be surprised if it's aborted and shifted to day after tomorrow. Only info so far from OG2 launch website:
  • Our schedule for this morning’s OG2 Mission 1 launch has been pushed to 11:44 am ET today, Monday, July 14. Additional updates will be posted shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, official SpaceX update seems to indicate it was a ground system that caused the delay and has been cleared now. So the launch is going to happen at the new time. As I will be in a cinema by then, then I'll not be able to see it ... would be nice if someone recorded it and uploaded it to youtube unless the new live streaming service by youtube means that it'll automatically get a youtube posting as well.

Launch Update

The ORBCOMM OG2 launch is currently targeted for liftoff on Monday, July 14, 2014 at 11:44am ET. A live launch webcast will begin here at approximately 11:25am EDT. Out of an abundance of caution, the team took some extra time this morning to look at a potential ground systems issue; we have resolved any concern there and are moving forward with the countdown with a new T-0 of 11:44am.