Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Stack diff - AP (TACC & AutoSteer) vs FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I am not going to subscribe FSD after free trial. I tested AP today locally.

On highway, AutoSteer is ok for me, I actually prefer I have full control when to switch lane. So I don't need FSD.

On suburban local road, AP is much worse than FSD. It won't bother me much as I seldom use AP anyway up to this point.

I am a little surprised that it seems to me AP has totally different software stack or code base vs FSD 12.3.x. I am not sure why Tesla does this. This makes transition from AP to FSD (or vice versa) a potential safety issues.

In my view, AP shall just be FSD without auto on/off ramp, auto merge, and auto traffic light. AP shall use exactly same code base. Plus under AP, wiper was triggered under cloudy sky w/o any rain drop. I don't have such wiper behavior under FSD 12.3.x

Basic AP is not meant for use on suburban local roads. It’s not surprising that basic AP and FSD use different stacks, since people are going to use one or the other, but not both. Maybe someday they’ll use the same code. Even FSD uses different code on the highway than it uses on city streets (for now).

I don’t think the auto wiper behavior is part of AP, so the difference you saw was probably coincidence.

As I am not going to subscribe FSD after free trial. I tested AP today locally.

On highway, AutoSteer is ok for me, I actually prefer I have full control when to switch lane. So I don't need FSD.

On suburban local road, AP is much worse than FSD. It won't bother me much as I seldom use AP anyway up to this point.

I am a little surprised that it seems to me AP has totally different software stack or code base vs FSD 12.3.x. I am not sure why Tesla does this. This makes transition from AP to FSD (or vice versa) a potential safety issues.

In my view, AP shall just be FSD without auto on/off ramp, auto merge, and auto traffic light. AP shall use exactly same code base. Plus under AP, wiper was triggered under cloudy sky w/o any rain drop. I don't have such wiper behavior under FSD 12.3.x

Here's my understanding: AP is an older codebase, more mature but as pointed out above only to be used for freeway driving. (Disregard people doing stupid AP tricks for their YouTube channels or whatever.) FSD is newer (with the "end to end neural nets" architecture), less mature but seemingly rapidly evolving. There's been an intent on Tesla's part to switch to the FSD stack for all driving assist regardless of what feature set is enabled on your car, but it clearly hasn't happened yet on any customer vehicles, so you do get this weird transition.

When using FSD there is an option for "minimal speed-based lane changes" that I have found helpful...it allows/forces you to have more control over lane changing. Unfortunately, Tesla. has implemented this control "for the current drive", meaning it resets when you turn off the car (maybe put it in park?). IMHO, it'd be much more useful and frankly less confusing if that option were sticky like all the other options on the Autopilot settings screen.

Bruce.

Reactions: Marty3SR+
I thought folks have 3 choices of TACC, AutoSteer, and FSD if one subscribes fsd or bought FSD outright. I am in free trial, I have all 3 options.
Correct, but my point was that people who have FSD are probably not going to switch between FSD and Autosteer very often, so they're not going to notice the differences between FSD and non-FSD Autosteer. Even if they do switch, the Autosteer they have is the one from EAP with Auto Lane Change, not the basic AP version without it.

When using FSD there is an option for "minimal speed-based lane changes" that I have found helpful...it allows/forces you to have more control over lane changing. Unfortunately, Tesla. has implemented this control "for the current drive", meaning it resets when you turn off the car (maybe put it in park?). IMHO, it'd be much more useful and frankly less confusing if that option were sticky like all the other options on the Autopilot settings screen.
Totally agree, not sure why Tesla decided to do it that way. I've noticed that when using the new auto speed offset option, the minimal lane change option doesn't do much, and the car will change lanes to get around slower traffic. It should still help on the highway, but even there, sometimes the car thinks a lane change is required to stay on the route when it really isn't.