Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So tell me about a model 3 without EAP. What will it still do.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the nagging EAP isn't really worth much to me. If I'm going to keep my hands on the wheel and stay alert I might as well drive the car myself (which is not exactly a chore with this car, btw). It's just as easy to use the "dumb" cruise control and just adjust the speed with the scroll wheel as traffic slows down or speeds up. It's also not difficult to stay centered within a traffic lane.

I'd be happy to give Tesla $10K for FSD or something very close but $5-7K for EAP in its current form is kinda crazy.

...If I'm going to keep my hands on the wheel and stay alert I might as well drive the car myself...

I've been using AP2 for 2 years and about 32,000 miles between my X and 3 and it's been very helpful despite the requirement of hands-on and attentiveness especially there have been times that I've been distracted by deep thinking, daydreaming, talking, playing with navigation/ media player apps...

It's good cooperation between human and machine.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I've been using AP2 for 2 years and about 32,000 miles between my X and 3 and it's been very helpful despite the requirement of hands-on and attentiveness especially there have been times that I've been distracted by deep thinking, daydreaming, talking, playing with navigation/ media player apps...

It's good cooperation between human and machine.
I think it makes people feel enabled to pay less attention and do all that other stuff you just mentioned because they figure the car is paying attention for them (which it is, 99% of the time).

There's also stuff like pot holes and road debris that the EAP does nothing to actively avoid and you won't see unless you're paying close attention.

I agree with you that if you're going to be daydreaming or doing other stuff while driving then EAP is much safer, but if you're actually paying attention like you should be then it really doesn't add much value. The fact is, if you do crash while using EAP then you're going to be liable, not Tesla.

I have a P3D and my wife has LR RWD. Both with EAP. If I were to do it all over again, it would be this exact setup. The extra $5k was absolutely worth every dollar. We save on speeding tickets (you definitely get the desire to push it but with AP, you just let it do its thing) and we save on stress. Nothing like getting home after a 20-mile each way commute and still having mental energy.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
EAP shines in dense urban highways/freeways during RUSH HOUR. If that's your daily commute - do yourself and your sanity a favor and pay the 5K. Trust me ;)

With all the free'd brain cells, you can practice learning a new language or salsa moves in your head!

$5K is a lot of money. Specially if the car is in the mid-40's to start with. That said, I'm glad I got EAP.

5k over 5yrs = 1000/365 = less than a cup of coffee a day. Less waste, less dependence on caffeine (sugar and milk - both terrible for you). And it offers so many safety features. One accident avoided = cost of the package. It's like winter tires, why wouldn't you pay for it?

5k over 5yrs = 1000/365 = less than a cup of coffee a day. Less waste, less dependence on caffeine (sugar and milk - both terrible for you). And it offers so many safety features. One accident avoided = cost of the package. It's like winter tires, why wouldn't you pay for it?
Milk is terrible for you? Might want to tell all those babies humans have raised for the past few million years...

• Disagree
Reactions: JBT66
No, Yes, No, No

Not sure why everyone is writing multiple paragraphs, you asked simple questions, these are the answers.
Maybe because they don't feel that just the answer, especially wrong ones really answer the question.
Plus the simple fact that it you read the question, it asked for elaboration.

: still maintain a selectable distance to the car in front?
No, this is a function of Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) one of those items explicitly listed.
: still apply the brakes aggressively when something is in front?
Only emergency braking, the type that you never want to test.
: lane control of any sort?
You will not have anything controlling the steering wheel, but you will have the wheel shake when crossing lane inadvertently
: how about backing hazards.
You will have the close hazard lines. I don't think that a crossing vehicle in the back is actually warned right now anyway.

I have the 2018 Leaf with ProPilot, EAP provides the same functionality as ProPilot, but does it a LOT better. Whereas the Leaf will tend to turn on and off driving down most roads that aren't Interstates, the Tesla stay own the entire way. The Tesla autopilot does a great job of driving the car now. It's not perfect yet, but hopefully that isn't far off. It will now see a curve and slow down to a speed that is comfortable for the curve. At a full stop, like a traffic light, if behind a car, it handles everything, unlike Nissan where you have to re-enable most of the time.

Like the Nissan, the intelligent cruise control (TACC) is probably one of the best things that can dramatically reduce driving workload. Works awesome in rush hour stop and go traffic.

My recommendation, get it now, roll it into the loan, it's cheaper and doesn't hurt as bad when in a loan.

To me, the advantage of EAP is much more than AWD or the Performance model.

Well, first of all, it's mostly useful on freeways. If most of your driving is around town then it's value to you is less. Also, you can justify $5000 a zillion ways including milk, but that is a lot of money specially if you factor in future value if you invest it somewhere.

Reactions: fiatlux
My commute is pretty much all surface streets that I can’t use it on so I didn’t get it. However I really wish I had TACC. My wife’s much cheaper Ford Explorer has it.
I was already pushing my budget with a AWD LR but if I could do it again I might have gone with a MR with EAP as I REALLY want FSD some day.
If you can afford it I’d go for it.

My commute is pretty much all surface streets that I can’t use it on so I didn’t get it. However I really wish I had TACC. My wife’s much cheaper Ford Explorer has it.
I was already pushing my budget with a AWD LR but if I could do it again I might have gone with a MR with EAP as I REALLY want FSD some day.
If you can afford it I’d go for it.

You don't want TACC for surface streets. And when you have it, you lose the basic cruise control which actually IS functional on surface streets.