Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, thanks for this info on the preconditioning. If the car learns your pattern, and you turn preconditioning off for some reason.... will preconditioning have to "relearn" or will it carry on where it was just before you turned it off? In other words, once it has your "pattern" can you "pause" it?

Guys, thanks for this info on the preconditioning. If the car learns your pattern, and you turn preconditioning off for some reason.... will preconditioning have to "relearn" or will it carry on where it was just before you turned it off? In other words, once it has your "pattern" can you "pause" it?

I've wondered that too... my schedule was not normal this last week while it learned... so I'll have to see if it readjusts or I'll have to dis-/re-enable.

I am excited for this feature, since I have had to remember nearly every afternoon to turn on the ac before leaving my office for lunch or end of day. Even after 21 months I still forget sometimes, and every time I'm so annoyed with myself.

I just got the update a few days ago, so looking forward to it working soon! I just wish I could tell it to ignore it until a certain time. I leave the house at 6am nearly every day, no need for heat or ac most days.

When it's colder, I preheat longer. Anyone know if it adjusts for temperature? My assumption is that it doesn't, it just figures out your normal leaving time and then starts preconditioning about 15 minutes before.

Got 6.1 installed last night. It will be interesting to see if it ever deems my schedule "regular" enough. It would be helpful in my opinion to have a prompt through the app "do you wish to condition?". I tend to like the manual choices....

Got 6.1 installed last night. It will be interesting to see if it ever deems my schedule "regular" enough. It would be helpful in my opinion to have a prompt through the app "do you wish to condition?". I tend to like the manual choices....

Might be best to turn it off then (it's on option) if you find it not working for you. You can do both. You can choose it turn it on if it hasn't done it for you already in the morning.

Data point: Received update on Thursday and turned on pre-conditioning that night. Then yesterday (Saturday, around 2pm) car's climate system came on while car was in garage and wouldn't turn-off (no rhyme or reason relative to my work schedule). Tried locking/unlocking cycles, plugging in and disconnecting plug and even turning off pre-conditioning, but climate remained on (I purposely did not turn off climate on the main screen in order to try to understand what was going on). Ultimately what seemed to work was to keep pre-conditioning turned off, put car in Drive momentarily and then back in park, exiting car and then locking it. Seems turning off pre-conditioning alone didn't do anything, but cycling car to full on and off again was enough.

Looks like the algorithms need a bit more refinement, but expect that will happen as the feature matures (i.e. more data comes in).

Mine seemed to learn something and started doing the preconditioning thing (only way I've found to notice is when you get in the car and its already warm when you didnt trigger by app). I was surprised it learned anything since i'm all over the place on times. I really wish they'd let you control it a little more directly or at least tell you what they think they learned.

Mine seemed to learn something and started doing the preconditioning thing (only way I've found to notice is when you get in the car and its already warm when you didnt trigger by app). I was surprised it learned anything since i'm all over the place on times. I really wish they'd let you control it a little more directly or at least tell you what they think they learned.
You can control it directly-- don't turn on smart precondition and use the app to set the temp when you want to.

In the release notes is says

With this release, Smart Preconditioning will automatically get the cabin climate ready for you, based on the last set temperature and your driving schedule. Model S will observe your driving schedule and when it’s confident in identifying a pattern, it will start Smart Preconditioning when you are charging, at home, or at work.

I have noticed that my car starts preconditioning even when it is not plugged in. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad but its doing the opposite of whats in the release notes.

In the release notes is says

With this release, Smart Preconditioning will automatically get the cabin climate ready for you, based on the last set temperature and your driving schedule. Model S will observe your driving schedule and when it’s confident in identifying a pattern, it will start Smart Preconditioning when you are charging, at home, or at work.

I have noticed that my car starts preconditioning even when it is not plugged in. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad but its doing the opposite of whats in the release notes.

You haven't read this thread, have you? :tongue:

Well I got the fw update on Saturday, turned on preconditioning and then out of the blue when I was letting the dog out at half past midnight yesterday discovered the car was heating. e-mail Tesla and they're pulling the logs to see if it's the preconditioning going wanco in the middle of the night (seriously, where did it think I was going to go?)

Well I got the fw update on Saturday, turned on preconditioning and then out of the blue when I was letting the dog out at half past midnight yesterday discovered the car was heating. e-mail Tesla and they're pulling the logs to see if it's the preconditioning going wanco in the middle of the night (seriously, where did it think I was going to go?)
Has your wife been sneaking out to see her boyfriend at midnight? ;-)