Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a feature I probably won't enable. A buddy of mine has a Nest thermostat at his cottage, and it tried to "learn" his pattern based on random visits and ended up turning the heat up and down all during the week while he was away. He has now disabled that feature on his Nest and I would be worried about the same thing happening in the car. A fixed schedule you can program yourself would be better, IMHO. (VisibleTesla can enable this for now).

I've had preconditioning on for 2 days now. I know some people say it takes 4 or 5 days for the car to learn a pattern, but I'm betting my car is smarter :tongue:.

Since this is a beta release of preconditioning, I expect the car to charge at weird times. I can see in a future release that there will be a toggle switch for "preconditioning while on battery" . That way, it won't use your battery power when you need the range.

I turned on preconditioning yesterday afternoon (had 6.1 for 2 1/2 days) and my car was warming this morning when I checked the app to turn it on. Which means it learned my Monday with preconditioning off and took just 1 day to learn the time? From what others have reported I hope that is the only time it chooses to warm itself... but my weekday schedule is pretty regular

I'm going to guess that as soon as 6.1 hits the car.. it starts logging departure times based on knowing your home and work locations (saved as Nav favorites). Thus the learning time doesn't start from enabling pre-conditioning, but rather from when you get 6.1

Since activating this feature Friday night, I have been to work one full day, which was yesterday.
Today when I went to go for lunch and heat up the car, this was on the app :
IMG_0067.PNG

So after one day, it decided to assume I would leave at the same time. Works well for me since I generally do leave at the same time.:biggrin:

This is a feature I probably won't enable. A buddy of mine has a Nest thermostat at his cottage, and it tried to "learn" his pattern based on random visits and ended up turning the heat up and down all during the week while he was away. He has now disabled that feature on his Nest and I would be worried about the same thing happening in the car. A fixed schedule you can program yourself would be better, IMHO. (VisibleTesla can enable this for now).

My nest works great, I think for the car though it would be best to manually set the schedule.

Question: Does preconditioning learning and analysis happen purely in the car, or does some or all of it occur on Tesla's servers (in the cloud)?

In any case, it would be nice to have the ability to see what it has learned in the app and override it, tweak it or put it on hold when you know you're going to be away. I would hate to have this be an unintended source of vampire drain if you're leaving the car at work during a trip or at an airport parking lot... obviously can turn it off but it would be nice to have a one-stop 'hibernation mode' switch for when you're parking the car long term without shore power, with instructions to turn back on at a specific date and time.

FWIW, I installed 6.1 on Friday night. I had a calendar event at my work address on Monday starting at 0800, and when I went out to the car at 7:30 it was warming. Don't know if there's an interaction with the calendar, but perhaps there is?

FWIW, I installed 6.1 on Friday night. I had a calendar event at my work address on Monday starting at 0800, and when I went out to the car at 7:30 it was warming. Don't know if there's an interaction with the calendar, but perhaps there is?

I didn't see any notes saying that it references the calendar to decide when to start warming, but it would be a great feature if it did. And your post seems to indicate that it might be doing that. So as long as my calendar is up to date, my car will be warm.

My Tesla turned on the pre-conditioning feature last week in the evening - around 10 pm. It seemed random, and I only caught it because I happened to be in the garage at that time. Since we had been only driving the car the previous few days in the afternoons - this didn't make much sense. I turned off the AC manually through the Tesla app., and it hasn't repeated since AFAIK.

Re: Nest programming - I have a 1st gen Nest with latest software revision - and if Auto Away feature is set - it will override all existing programs once there is a period of time when there is no movement sensed. So it always works whenever we leave the house for a period of time. In fact, I notice that Auto Away is invoked even during the days I am home working in my study. The Thermostat recovers the moment I walk into the hallway to the kitchen when it senses movement.

While I'm a tad more trusting that the AI can eventually adapt and learn my schedule, I tend to agree that having a manually programmable option based upon location would be nice too. 4 days a week I could lock in my departure time from home and work. It might still turn on on holidays and when I'm on vacation those days at home, but otherwise would be very unlikely to come on (assuming it uses location awareness even in manual mode). Additionally, I have at least one other day per week where I would program in a location (my second work location) to turn on as well. This is a beta features, so I hold out hope that it will be a bit more mature in the next iteration.

My nest works great, I think for the car though it would be best to manually set the schedule.

The problem with my buddy's Nest is that it is at his cottage and his visits are not of a regular pattern. He may go up for a weekend, skip a couple of weeks, take a couple of weekdays away from work and so forth. The Nest built some sort of schedule based on this randomness and ended up costing him more because of the heat going up and down all week long while he wasn't even there. I think it would work great at a home which is occupied full time by people on a predictable schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

Re: Nest programming - I have a 1st gen Nest with latest software revision - and if Auto Away feature is set - it will override all existing programs once there is a period of time when there is no movement sensed.

Yep, but it still came on in anticipation of someone showing up before it realized no one was there and shut back down. Still wasted his propane.

The problem with my buddy's Nest is that it is at his cottage and his visits are not of a regular pattern. He may go up for a weekend, skip a couple of weeks, take a couple of weekdays away from work and so forth. The Nest built some sort of schedule based on this randomness and ended up costing him more because of the heat going up and down all week long while he wasn't even there. I think it would work great at a home which is occupied full time by people on a predictable schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, but it still came on in anticipation of someone showing up before it realized no one was there and shut back down. Still wasted his propane.

Sorry to prolong this OT issue - but if the Nest in the cabin is accessible off the net, then its easy to simply turn it OFF from the app. (Just like switching OFF a manual thermostat). And then turn it back ON when driving up to the cabin.

Has your wife been sneaking out to see her boyfriend at midnight? ;-)

Haha, seriously doubt that ;) Today again the car was smart preconditioning at 00:10, I turned it off and discovered it had resumed around 00:30. So I turned it off again and reported the incidents to Tesla for investigation as I'm 100% sure the car's not been driven at such hours since 6.1 or actually even before that to make it get any ideas that this is when I drive. Unless it has a serious issue of timezones ;)

Got 6.1 installed last night. It will be interesting to see if it ever deems my schedule "regular" enough. It would be helpful in my opinion to have a prompt through the app "do you wish to condition?". I tend to like the manual choices....
I like this option - there are times when I would like to just hit a button that says "No". Doesn't sound hard to add it to the Notification list in the app.

I had preconditioning turned on for the last few days. The first time I noticed it was working was a few minutes ago when I was in the garage. Not a typical time for me to be driving. The car was heating itself and the green light flashing. I turned everything off and unplugged the cable. Here's what I think is going on. The car will always keep the temperature at your last setting if it's plugged in, plus learn your work routine. This seems like a huge energy waster, and money waster especially with time of use plans. I thought it would just switch on for ten minutes before I leave for work and come home. Not a huge deal, and hopefully made more flexible. Pretty cool feature for those of us who are predictable though (raises hand).

Haha, seriously doubt that ;) Today again the car was smart preconditioning at 00:10, I turned it off and discovered it had resumed around 00:30. So I turned it off again and reported the incidents to Tesla for investigation as I'm 100% sure the car's not been driven at such hours since 6.1 or actually even before that to make it get any ideas that this is when I drive. Unless it has a serious issue of timezones ;)

yea, mine appears to be turning on at odd times as well. I think the logic needs a lot of work. It was on, appropriately, at 2:40pm today as I left my office. It was on, twice, inappropriately this afternoon when I went out to the car for unscheduled non-routine trips. Not plugged in any of those times.