Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature vs. GP nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jumpstarting? Is that even relevant with this car ??? If the 12v dies, do all the systems run off the 12v? How does the 12v get its charge from larger battery pack when running, is there an alternator of some kind? I've always wanted to know this. (mods, feel free to move this to another thread if it goes too far off topic)

Dunno. Here's a pic with the panel removed. The red cover on the post shows the pos battery connection, but the battery is elsewhere. Please ignore Signature gaps and bugs.

Nose battery connections 004 sm.JPG

Dunno. Here's a pic with the panel removed. The red cover on the post shows the pos battery connection, but the battery is elsewhere. Please ignore Signature gaps and bugs.

View attachment 12584

Did you remove the panel yourself? I'm thinking that maybe that the all of the pieces of the nose cone snap into place as this piece does. If so, it will make installation of a number of things much easier. What do you think?

Did you remove the panel yourself? I'm thinking that maybe that the all of the pieces of the nose cone snap into place as this piece does. If so, it will make installation of a number of things much easier. What do you think?

Yes, using a very dull butter knife. It just pops out with no effort. You can see where the clips seat.

I think they did it for simplicity and cost (duh). I would think the whole nose would snap out and off easily. It gives access to things like frunk latch, wiring, etc. One piece is a lot cheaper than 3-5 pieces.

hey, little thought for threads like this: i find it incredibly helpful to know the prod seq # and vin (if avail) when discussing differing aspects of delivered models, for tracking production changes.. would be great if those of you who don't have your prod # and vin in your signature or member dets (on the left with avatar) could include such in your posts.. esp those with pics.

thanks!

Well, we compared mine with another local model S that had been delivered about 2 weeks earlier, and the nose cone is the same. So it appears the dividing line might be production vs. sig.

Here is a comparison between the "old" nose, from one of Tesla's studio shots,
Old Model S Nose.png

and the "new" nose on my (as yet undelivered) Canadian Signature (VIN S02001):
Ruby Nose.jpeg

In addition to being aesthetically cleaner, the new nose should be aerodynamically cleaner, in a crucial spot-- the first part of the car to touch the wind.

Yes, using a very dull butter knife. It just pops out with no effort. You can see where the clips seat.

I think they did it for simplicity and cost (duh). I would think the whole nose would snap out and off easily. It gives access to things like frunk latch, wiring, etc. One piece is a lot cheaper than 3-5 pieces.

Thanks. Great to know. This means installation of the Passport radar detector and Blinder laser jammers will be much easier. I'm also thinking my EZPass transponder can attached under one of the upper nose cone plastic pieces.

Tesla has played with a number of different designs - I just noticed that the Tesla home page has a different nose cone than either the Signature or GP nose cone.

View attachment 12384

It might be that this picture explains the reason for the change to the new nosecone. If Tesla had originally intended to have a grill for the two upper pieces but then later discovered that the extra ventilation was not needed then switched to solid pieces for more aerodynamics. Then finally they switched to the current one piece for simplicity and even greater aerodynamics.

Courtesy of Tesla service, here's an exploded view of the nose cone parts. If someone with the car (mine won't be delivered until April or May, otherwise I'd do it now) can pry off the large lower piece and photograph what's behind it, that would be a great help for all of use who are wondering if we can install a toll transponder in the space behind the nose cone.

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.09.28 AM.png

the new one piece front cone looks more "burgler" proff - the one where you simply snap out a litle piece of plastic with a simple tool seams not safe - specifically if this gives you acess to shorten/discornect the 12 volt system and open the frunk latch.
if someone needs access to the frunk, nothing will prevent them from gain access in less than 1 min. ....I do hope the frunk is equiped with some sort of alarm censor (I might be to worryed, so please ignore my posting)
Models S is a fast performance car, I guess some young poeple would like to take it for a quick spin, better make it damm difficult for them to get into it.

the new one piece front cone looks more "burgler" proff - the one where you simply snap out a litle piece of plastic with a simple tool seams not safe - specifically if this gives you acess to shorten/discornect the 12 volt system and open the frunk latch.
if someone needs access to the frunk, nothing will prevent them from gain access in less than 1 min. ....I do hope the frunk is equiped with some sort of alarm censor (I might be to worryed, so please ignore my posting)
Models S is a fast performance car, I guess some young poeple would like to take it for a quick spin, better make it damm difficult for them to get into it.

I think entries without the Fob will set off all kinds of fireworks.