Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature vs. GP nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a couple comparison shots I just took at the service center

2012-12-12 13.14.01.jpg

2012-12-12 13.14.21.jpg

Do people think it might be possible to hold the front license plate holder onto the car with very strong magnets behind the nosecone?

I would rather not drill into my car
Most plates are aluminium, and the holder is plastic. Even if you did rig something like that up, it would probably move and scratch the nosecone.

Actually I think heavy-duty Velcro with sticky backs would work very well. I've attached the rear plate on my Volt that way (don't ask why) and it works like a charm.
Look into the type of Velcro used to secure things like the headliner on boats. It is extraordinarily heavy duty. I have used it to secure things like a timber clock I made on a lathe to a vertical varnished timber wall and it does not budge unless I remove it (with slight difficulty) to change batteries. This could be the solution to mounting number plates without drilling and without causing permanent damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, will someone who's taken delivery please remove the nose cone and video or photography it all, and hopefully show what's behind the nose cone. Should not be hard to do, especially for a car guy.
Please do this! Even if a description of removal would be good. Anyone had any aftermarket stuff installed here? Parking sensors? Radar detectors?

Yes, will someone who's taken delivery please remove the nose cone and video or photography it all, and hopefully show what's behind the nose cone. Should not be hard to do, especially for a car guy.

I posted another topic in which I had pictures of the removal of the small section with the charging posts, but I did not look to take apart the entire nose cone.

I posted another topic in which I had pictures of the removal of the small section with the charging posts, but I did not look to take apart the entire nose cone.
Thanks, but your pictures were of the nose cone on the signature versions, which have a two-pieice nose cone. The production versions now being delivered have a single-piece nose cone. That's the one we like to see removed. I hope I'm not going to have to wait until my car is delivered in the spring:)

Last edited:
I am going to try taking it apart this weekend. If I am successful, I will post a video. If I am unsuccessful, I will be meeting my Ranger for the first time.

Thanks!!! Many of us are very grateful for your making this attempt. I'm very eager to learn about the results.

My guess is that it releases from the bottom. I'd use a stiff credit card there to pry the bottom loose. Then it probably slips out of the top.

Last edited: