Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compare Model X and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
Someone started a thread on Facebook about the differences between a new MX and a MY. This is my response.

I did some research and found that detailed comparisons are plentiful, but none seem complete. Tesla's has a bare-bones comparison. https://www.tesla.com/compare Yes, the MX costs almost twice the Model Y with a $48,000 difference. Other independent comparisons miss important features entirely.

Just off the top of my head (having owned two Model Xs,) the new 2023 version (still HW3) has heated and cooled seats front and rear, an entertainment console in the rear that controls heating and cooling as well as (a new feature) the front seat position to expedite exit as well as the ability to play videos. The MX now uses a heat pump for all of its AC needs but I suspect that's also in the MY. The MX also has heated wiper spray (never used it), two screens for the driver (a must-have AFAIAC), more towing capacity, more range, more acceleration, all electric doors (very convenient), adjustable suspension (useful for deep snow or rough roads), more interior headroom and shoulder space, a larger (better designed) front console that now supports dual inductive phone chargers, and far (far) more compartment space that includes a large space just behind the rear seats (that's made available if you don't have a third row of seats). I also have found there are two USB-C ports hidden in the console that can be accessed to add to play your music connection. The Sentry Mode USB-A has moved to inside the locked glove compartment for better security and the MX comes with the recommended (and pre-formatted) memory stick. The MX also can park the mirrors based on lock state or a specific location (like when approaching your garage). The MX includes the HomeLink system so you can program your garage door so it opens as you arrive and closes as you leave. I think this is an added-cost feature on the MY. The 2023 MX still uses an array of ultrasonic sensors to assist when parking. I don't know if the 2023 MX still uses radar. I think the new MX includes the HEPA filter--the 2017 model that was an extra-cost option.

Frankly, my new 2023 MX has had very few issues so far (especially in comparison to my 2017 MX which spent far too much time in the shop. I will also note that the MX does not come with a key fob, which I find to be an essential feature so I bought one. I also did not buy FSD for the new MX and don't plan to until I hear reports that it's dramatically improved and the price drops s i g n i f i c a n t l y.

Yes, $98,000 is a lot to pay for a car, but I think I got what I paid for. Remember, especially for those who drive more, the savings in gas is a nice plus. Here in the Seattle area, we're paying (at the discount stations) about $5.00 a gallon or about $90 a fill-up. Since the cost of power here is about $.12/kilowatt, I'm really saving money. And yes, the MY is more energy efficient as it's lighter and I suspect it has a smaller battery.

The Model Y came a close second when I made my decision. If I could get into it more easily, I might have bought one.

Reactions: Yelobird and X Fan