Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature vs. GP nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a photo of the new, small transponder. Looks like it will be easier to install behind the nose cone

7643824712_1be6e7a5f8_z.jpg

A question just occurred to me as I was looking at photos of the front license plate brackets. When the front plate bracket is installed, does it drill only into the nosecone itself, or does it fasten through the nosecone and into structure behind?

I was thinking about the need to remove the entire 2nd generation nosecone to get to the battery jump points. It would be a shame to have to remove the plate bracket to do this.

A question just occurred to me as I was looking at photos of the front license plate brackets. When the front plate bracket is installed, does it drill only into the nosecone itself, or does it fasten through the nosecone and into structure behind?

I was thinking about the need to remove the entire 2nd generation nosecone to get to the battery jump points. It would be a shame to have to remove the plate bracket to do this.

Just the nosecone. In fact, you're told to be very careful not to ram the drill through and into other materials. Standard center-push expanding body clips are used to hold the plate holder to the cone.

Just installed S cal transponder behind the new nosecone. Cone pops off fairly easy. you pry it off in an upper corner just under the chrome. On my first try I mistakenly removed the top trim. See the white speed clips.

8406384085_04b3fd9564_b.jpg

Pry inside the chrome oval or pull out the bottom of the large nosecone piece.

8406385023_581b0e5174_b.jpg

I placed my transponder on the flat metal. It didn't fit well anywhere else. I moved the Velcro to the other side of the transponder.
Here is the whole removed nosecone and my helper!

8406385355_50c8fb1510_b.jpg

My zip tied license plate is behind the rag.

Just installed S cal transponder behind the new nosecone. Cone pops off fairly easy. you pry it off in an upper corner just under the chrome. On my first try I mistakenly removed the top trim. See the white speed clips.

Pry inside the chrome oval or pull out the bottom of the large nosecone piece.

I placed my transponder on the flat metal. It didn't fit well anywhere else. I moved the Velcro to the other side of the transponder.
Here is the whole removed nosecone and my helper!

My zip tied license plate is behind the rag.

Have you tested to see if it works there yet?