Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Angst

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some loose thoughts, stream of consciousness...

Oddly enough, you pretty much perfectly encapsulated my thoughts on the topic. OMG.

I think you make some good points, but I never understood this one. There were always going to be 1,200 Signature cars, and the Canada / US market has always been pretty close to interchangeable anyway. I'm pretty sure at least one US Sig ended up registered in Canada. Are you saying that just the Canadians should have received cars with > 1,000 VINs?

Yes, there's a fellow by the name of Harry who lives in Eastern Canada and has an American Sig. He has dual citizenship and both a Canadian and US address. He picked up his car in the US in the fall, and immediately drove it to Canada. He really was, to my knowledge, the first Canadian owner. (I still claim bragging rights for the first delivery in Canada, though!)

1. It's not 1,200 Signature cars. It's something like 2,500 worldwide, IIRC. So "always" doesn't apply since it's incorrect.

Yes, I suppose that's true. I was thinking of the initial markets for the car.

2. They advertised "first 1,000" on all of the U.S. facing web pages. There was no mention of North America or Canada. I had little-to-no awareness of the "Canadian 200" until relatively late (after my finalization IIRC).

The Canadian facing page said the same thing about the first 200 Canadian deliveries, also with no reference to other markets. If the Sigs had been delivered simultaneously, which is what I was led to believe would happen early on, it is possible that the first 1,200 VINs could have been interspersed between the two markets and some of the US Sig buyers could have ended up with a >1,000 VIN while Canadian buyers could have gotten a <1,000 VIN.

The "1,200 North America" thing only surfaced later after some quiet conversations were had between customers and Tesla representatives.

I think what happened is that they didn't get 200 takers in Canada. They didn't get me because of the extra costs associated with the stupid import duty.

Look, I get that what transpired was not to your liking, and that's cool. I suppose I was just going on a different set of expectations when it came to the Sig program.

How many people got their Signature after production cars in their state? They obviously had shipping issues to places like Hawaii and early production customers in California were allowed to pick up their car while other Sigs were in transit.
If you had a low production number and signed up for the Signature then you had to know the bump in the line wasn't going to be significant (meaning more than a few months).

With the new pricing there shouldn't be any angst. Even Signature pricing looks like a real bargain.

Just priced a comparable non-perf Red to my Signature; price delta for my Signature is now $1000, and that got me the Sig Red and White interior (which I Love!) and delivery in December 2012, with a VIN under 1000. I'm pretty darn happy now, and I was one of the original "sig angst" posters.

With the new pricing there shouldn't be any angst.
-2 for skimming the forum too lightly ;)

Not compared to low VIN GP...
Apples and oranges.
How so? Compare it to a similarly equipped car THEN, not what it would cost a year later.

And yes, I grow weary of people making a non-new assertion that has already been discussed in some depth. But so be it.

Also, regarding AnOutsider's post his "year" is generous. It's around 14 months for those (like me) that finalized in June of 2012. There were many Sigs finalizing before me as well.

Wow....That was a long read to catch up on this issue...22 pages....I want to thank all the sig owners (I am being earnest..no joke) for putting down the 40K on a company that could have gone belly up. I admit, I would not have done it.

Before reading this thread I was reading one about the anger the P18,000+ people were experiencing because the cost of their options were going up.

While I know your angst is not completely gone, I hope that things look a little better today than in April 2013 when this thread was started.

I debated long and hard about a SigX. There may be some value in it, like the SigS (exclusive color for exterior/interior...private invite to Gen III ramp up/launch). However, thanks to you all and TSLA I think it wiser for us all to put that 35K in the stock.

Anyone know how many SigX reservations there are?

How many people got their Signature after production cars in their state? They obviously had shipping issues to places like Hawaii and early production customers in California were allowed to pick up their car while other Sigs were in transit.

If you had a low production number and signed up for the Signature then you had to know the bump in the line wasn't going to be significant (meaning more than a few months).

How so? Getting a low sig should have meant months before a low P, no? And yes, I was one of the sigs to get theirs after Ps

How so? Getting a low sig should have meant months before a low P, no? And yes, I was one of the sigs to get theirs after Ps

I know you are a few others had significant delivery delays but I don't think it was on the order or dozens or hundreds of people.

That's what I was trying to say, I have a very low Sig and got mine at the very end of September so no more than 2 months before some production cars. I wasn't expecting anything more. If you had a late Sig then you really shouldn't have expected any significant delay before production cars started being delivered.

This is already a long thread but again, this was a voluntary program. Tesla could have been more clear on the benefits but they did deliver the Signature ordered even if the gap in delivery wasn't to everyone's liking. I would expect the same for the Model X so if getting an exclusive car and being the only one to have it for a very long period of time before any production cars get delivered is what you want then signing up for the Sig might not be the way to go. Getting a Signature is not worth it for everyone and each person needs to make their own decision to avoid the angst some people still feel to this day about voluntarily paying more for a car for some small benefits and differences.

I knew I was getting the Sig red paint (I did), more leather on the inside (I did) and my car early in the production run (I did) with minimal badging. I also knew I was paying more for this car than a production car before I finalized so no surprises there. Maybe it wasn't worth it but I wasn't forced to get a Signature model and don't think anyone else was. I wanted a early car and I got it. I could easily have kept my low production slot but decided to get a Signature.

Last edited: