Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a lot of volume over the last couple of minutes. Looks like the big guns are being saved for the end.

Well, let's see...
3:51pm 100 shares
3:53pm 200 shares
3:55pm 100 shares
3:57pm 3493 shares
3:59pm 100 shares
4:00pm 45,588 shares

Maybe someone familiar with how the market works can give some insight in what all is included in the final minute's calculations. I suspect it is far more than just straight trading.

Last edited:
Well, I hope so because I would like to buy some more cheap stock :) Its eventually going to go up, so every buying opportunity is a good thing for longs.

If we could keep it right here until, say, the end of the first trading day of 2017 so I can get my 2017 IRA contribution in, that'd be....

l3fQg5KqDwny04gus.gif

Then, feel free to take off.

Reactions: GBleck
Well, let's see...
3:51pm 100 shares
3:53pm 200 shares
3:55pm 100 shares
3:57pm 3493 shares
3:59pm 100 shares
4:00pm 45,588 shares

Maybe someone familiar with how the market works can give some insight in what all is included in the final minute's calculations. I suspect it is far more than just straight trading.
Volume is heavy on the close. There's really nothing new about this. You can see this almost everyday. Part of the reason is there's an "on the close" for time in force, just like good till cancel, on the open, immediate or kill, etc. Also many traders want to place their orders near the close so that they see the whole day's action to confirm what they suspect.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
that is not what i'm saying... i'm saying $198 is significant... and to be specific, I'm saying a low drama pin at $198 followed by a big jump in about 4 hours to $203 to $205 would not be a surprise... and were you just watching the stock thinking "oh man... this things about to break out?"... because I wasn't... as I said, there are mild squeezes occurring creating short term bear hammers... just like what just happened.

Yeah, it's exactly what you said. Let me quote you:

it's just a pattern I noticed that I expect will either end at some point, but is creating mild short squeezes. if $198 gets heavily broken and it doesn't recover to it, I think this suggests whatever is causing this pattern is ending... or there could be another dramatic upswing this afternoon in the range of $203 to $205... where it then continues.

Your clarification says nothing new. You have no idea if it's going up or down. If the pattern you believe you see is ending or continuing. And hey, there's no shame in that because nobody here has been able to predict the SP direction with any accuracy for months.

But let's run with your $198. Define : if $198 gets heavily broken. It that 50 cents, or 2 bucks? Put a number to it. And what happens to the SP if $198 is broken by 42 cents right at the end of the day and there aren't 4 minutes let alone 4 hours of trading time remaining for the day? Are you call the mild squeeze bear hammer pattern done? Or are you going to hedge your prediction with another it might still go up in early trading tomorrow?

And no, I wasn't just watching the stock thinking "oh man... this things about to break out. I was watching the stock price to see how much your new short position was working for you.

• Disagree
Reactions: Irishjugg
Fairly laughable WSJ article:
Tesla Could Lose Lead in Electric Cars to Big Automakers

With the hard-hitting conclusion:

"Tesla’s early lead in the luxury market is impressive. But experienced manufacturers from the auto industry’s existing hubs are mastering the new technology. They seem more likely to carry the electric torch into a more affordable era."

Volume is heavy on the close. There's really nothing new about this. You can see this almost everyday. Part of the reason is there's an "on the close" for time in force, just like good till cancel, on the open, immediate or kill, etc. Also many traders want to place their orders near the close so that they see the whole day's action to confirm what they suspect.

Fallenone and brian45011, thanks for the info. Looks like the "on the close" orders typically get executed at a price somewhat close to the previous minute's price. In the case of TSLA today, the price inched up from 3:59 to 4:00pm. Seems that this is all the more reason why someone who is trying to drive the stock price up or down sees value in making their move in the final half hour of the day.

• Informative
Reactions: Subhuman
The biggest takeaway I got was just how much Trump relied on Peter Thiel, I knew Thiel was a supporter but I did not know that Trump held him in as high regard as he seems too. Which is great since he founded PayPal with Elon and they are friends.

After you just said I think it's a mistake to try and read too much into that short video clip. LOL!

I disagree with it being a mistake to 'read' the short video clip. There's a lot being given away at that table and a lot that's not. How much is too much to read into it is something that I would debate. I do agree with your assessment of the relationship between Trump and Peter Thiel. Trump is quite enamored with Thiel.

GM plans on having self driving privately owned bolts on the road in early 2017? Color me skeptical...

yep
GM delays Super Cruise rollout

"In a statement to Automotive News, GM confirmed that the so-called Super Cruise technology will debut on the CT6 large sedan sometime during 2017. That would be at least several months later than the fall 2016 on-sale date that GM CEO Mary Barra cited when she announced the plans in September 2014."

Fairly laughable WSJ article:
Tesla Could Lose Lead in Electric Cars to Big Automakers

With the hard-hitting conclusion:

"Tesla’s early lead in the luxury market is impressive. But experienced manufacturers from the auto industry’s existing hubs are mastering the new technology. They seem more likely to carry the electric torch into a more affordable era."

Everytime I hear this, I ask, "where's the giga-battery factory they'll need to do this?" There's not only no factory, or means of producing mega output numbers of batteries, but no talk of plans for one either. Until there is one, there is no possibility of overtaking Tesla. Period.

Everytime I hear this, I ask, "where's the giga-battery factory they'll need to do this?" There's not only no factory, or means of producing mega output numbers of batteries, but no talk of plans for one either. Until there is one, there is no possibility of overtaking Tesla. Period.
Exactly. I think traditional analysts are used to traditional ways of thinking - if more of something is needed, a third party supplier will simply increase production to meet demand right? Nope. In this case, MASSIVE, obvious scaling is required to produce electric cars in volume. The kind of scaling that takes years, a huge footprint (or many smaller footprints) and billions of dollars. We don't see this anywhere but Tesla and not only that, we haven't heard any concrete plans to do this from anyone else.

Why is this so hard to understand for the media and others?

Exactly. I think traditional analysts are used to traditional ways of thinking - if more of something is needed, a third party supplier will simply increase production to meet demand right? Nope. In this case, MASSIVE, obvious scaling is required to produce electric cars in volume. The kind of scaling that takes years, a huge footprint (or many smaller footprints) and billions of dollars. We don't see this anywhere but Tesla and not only that, we haven't heard any concrete plans to do this from anyone else.

Why is this so hard to understand for the media and others?

After 2016 I've decided most in the media were at the bottom of their high school class but had enough money to get into some easy college somewhere, but in any case completely devoid of rudimentary analytical skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.