Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they come out with q3 deliveries above 30k (as I think will happen), curious what people thing the market reaction will be? That would be over twice q2, so I'm guessing at least a 15% move by week's end?

Deliveries above 30k for Q3?!

What?!

I love you man, but no way in a million years...

21-22k is realistic. 25k would be stretch

IF it's over 30k, I'll shave my head and post it here on this thread AND send you a $200 check for dinner at a nice restaurant of your choice

Good luck!

What?!

IF it's over 30k, I'll shave my head and post it here on this thread AND send you a $200 check for dinner at a nice restaurant of your choice

Good luck!
will that be over the screams of the shorts pulling their hair out with both hands, in a great miasma of blubbering
{i dont think 30K either and am in the 21-23k camp}

What?!

Good luck!

I'm holding you to that! I'll do the same if it's below 25k!

China Looks to Accelerate a Zero-Emissions Vehicle Target: ‘That Would Be a Big Event’
“This is being done for multiple reasons,” said McKerracher. “It’s not just for reduced oil imports or cleaner air in cities. There’s also a major industrial policy angle to this. China is trying to build a cluster of domestic automakers capable of exporting to the world and leapfrogging established brands.”

Chinese leaders are aiming to steal a lead on the electric-vehicle markets of the future.

If they come out with q3 deliveries above 30k (as I think will happen), curious what people thing the market reaction will be? That would be over twice q2, so I'm guessing at least a 15% move by week's end?

Fred will shave his head and I will retire!
To reach 30k they would have to deliver EVERY vehicle they produced in the quarter and completely empty the pipeline.

I will give you credit. When you dream you dream big.

My guess is you are more likely to shave your head then Fred.

To me personally, THIS is the question. I believe Tesla can make great Model 3 and people will buy it, but I'm not sure that Tesla can make a profit with it.
What possible reason can you have for believing that? Reasoning by analogy rather than first principles?

We know that their pack cost will be under $114 per kWh. In addition to the pack much does it cost to build an EV?

But >25,000 deliveries Q3 will create a short term New Year's Eve celebration in the stock price. If I'm not too greedy I'll unload my shorter options next week as I don't see the run sustained unless there are catalysts. The two that would do it would be positive news on Tesla energy and announcing Model Y.
Please no!

Accelerating the M3 caused enough of a hit to the SP! Working on two cars at the same time would be bad enough. But the 3 and the Y. With or without FWD's? With would be a disaster for the SP, and without would probably be bad as well.

What?!

Good luck!

I'm holding you to that! I'll do the same if it's below 25k!

You guys have guts but now we have a deadband between 25-30K where nobody's head gets shaved!!

You guys have guts but now we have a deadband between 25-30K where nobody's head gets shaved!!

Yeah... I noticed that. So...

I AM improving my bet!!! I'll fill the gap!

I WILL shave my head and send Tanner a check for $200 if Q3 deliveries are over 25k! BOOM! Drop mic and walk off...

Thanks Tanner. I'd LOVE to lose this bet!

Fred will shave his head and I will retire!
To reach 30k they would have to deliver EVERY vehicle they produced in the quarter and completely empty the pipeline.

I will give you credit. When you dream you dream big.

My guess is you are more likely to shave your head then Fred.

Okay I'm at risk of losing my hair so maybe you guys can tell me where my logic is failing. In the last conf call they guided for 2.2k production a week by end of q3, they finished q2 at about 2k. With 13 weeks that puts the low end at 26k and the high end at maybe 27.5k? I think it's fair to assume that since they had a huge push for deliveries they got the in transit % back toward q4. It seems like this is pretty much coming down to what % in transits is reasonable?
Yeah... I noticed that. So...

I AM improving my bet!!! I'll fill the gap!

I WILL shave my head and send Tanner a check for $200 if Q3 deliveries are over 25k! BOOM! Drop mic and walk off...

Thanks Tanner. I'd LOVE to lose this bet!

This is getting way too fun!

Haha this is great, except Fred will be bald and swimming in money, wheras tander may be bald and homeless.
(Okay I'm sure <25k won't have that effect on your wealth) I think you'll both get to keep your hair for another day!
I guess the good thing is regardless of who wins Tesla is going to have it's best quarter ever.

Elon's estimate was a 25% GM for Model 3.

$20B in revenues and $5B in gross profit.

Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk sees the vehicle generating ~$20 billion in revenue with 25% gross margin (TSLA)

Thanks for digging that up. I really gotta read Electrek more often. Do note that Elon's estimate of 25% GM was after full production of 500,000 vehicles which he estimates by the end of the decade. So maybe by 2021, or five years from now, it'll get there. Unless things change, like they realize they need to make 1,000,000 cars a year.

If they do what they've done at all other product launches, ship highly optioned cars first, that will help mitigate early low margin numbers.

I suspect the market really isn't going to care too much about the margins, they will be much more focused on demand and ability to deliver quickly. Many people think 500,000 Model 3s in a year is a pie in the sky demand figure. If that number turns out to be accurate, margins won't matter. I keep going back to Amazon as an example. They had near zero margins for many, many years, all while gobbling up market share, raising equity, and turning themselves into a retail monopoly (not yet, but you can see a path there) AND creating whole new industries out of thin air (they dominate in the huge cloud processing space, and watch out for Twitch).

Tesla is very similar. Tesla Energy is poised to dominate in storage - we are finally seeing real progress here with the latest two Powerpack installations, and the Gigafactory isn't even producing yet. And obviously Elon has a plan for SolarCity.

Status
Not open for further replies.