Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In looks, the i3 is Worst in Class. Even if the i3 were the best thing, I would not drive it.

I have an i3, not here to defend it in any way lol. I leased it for 2 years (would never buy one) because I wanted EV and can't justify 100k for a tesla with our driving habits. Looks is subjective of course, I think the Leaf is by far the ugliest EV. The one thing about the i3 is it is different looking and it gets noticed in my small town. It has allowed me to talk to people about EV's which isn't a bad thing. I drove the egolf and the i3 back to back, I'll take the funky looks of the i3 over the anesthetizing driving experience of the egolf. I haven't driven a leaf but i'm guessing that one will put you to sleep as well.

Teslas Schrader Moving Back To Sonnenbatterie | CleanTechnica
He leaves his Tesla position having seen regional registrations for the Model S surpass those of the BMW 7 Series and Porsche Panamera for the first time in March 2015.

The first quarter 2015 saw 373 Model S electric sedans sold in Austria and Germany (294). Those sales represent a sharp rise compared to 183 registrations in Germany in 2013. As of June 2015, Germany has over 1,700 Model S registrations.

The day after the Oppenheimer and Morgan Stanley upgrade there was an upgrade from Stifel from hold to buy with PT of $400 that I did not catch, maybe someone already mentioned (link)

Stifel is recommending a "buy" from the very beginning.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla to increase the value of components from China this year.

Attachments

• TSLA_ANR_Stifel.bmp
    379.8 KB · Views: 581
  • TSLA_CN.bmp
    379.8 KB · Views: 571
BMW is ahead here. It's self-driving capabilities that customers can actually enjoy are better than what Tesla so far demonstrated. Yet Tesla sells like hotcakes, but the i3 doesn't. Therefore I don't agree that the current self-driving capabilities for a Tesla/i3 is a strong driver of sales either way (positive or negative). What the i3 misses is a unique selling proposition. There is no single feature in the i3 where it is best-in-class.

There is zero chance that shared mobility services will employ ICE based vehicles - they will be based on EVs. So core technology is electric propulsion system. No company can claim to be "ahead" without leadership in the core technology.

BMW i3 was crippled, I believe, from the very beginning by the way BMW defined the mission for the design team, which seemed to be *not* to compete with their 3 Series lineup. As far as this mission is concerned, the design team hit the ball out of the park. I can't see anybody considering BMW 3 Series going out and buying i3.

Tesla design team, on other hand, is absolutely focused on taking out BMW 3-series with the upcoming Model 3 - this is all out effort - no hostages to be taken.

As a result, instead of selling in the quantities similar to BMW 3-Series, i3 can't even beat the sales of Model S, a car comparable in cost to the BMW 6 and 7 Series!

So talking about BMW leadership here is simply ludicrous. The common argument seem to be that BMW and other German engineering powerhouses will blow the newcomer Tesla out of the water, as soon as they decide/choose to, but the problem is that they are basically years behind, and do not show any signs of catching up (press-releases about their EV prototypes aside).

Last edited:
I Use StockTracker app to check price and news on TSLA. Today, there was an article entitled "why to hold cash and sell Tesla short"
I was curious, expected seeking alpha nonsense and clicked on it. No article, just the word "false"
weird clickbait? Or funny joke? Whatever...

Read that yesterday. The guy has a disclaimer that he is indeed Short Tesla his PT was $202 based on "fundamental" assumptions. Total airhead though as he doesn't quite understand the market.

On November 6th, Baron funds have their annual investment conference in New York City.

If you look at the agenda here: Agenda 2015 - Baron Funds - Mutual Funds - Baron Funds - Mutual Funds

At 10:30am there is a 'surprise' speaker - 'Electrifying' Chairman and CEO.

Not much doubt that Elon will be speaking there. Ron Baron has been a vocal proponent of Tesla and some of his investment funds own shares in Tesla. The Baron conference is quite a big production with a lot of well off people and investment community members attending. Should give Elon an opportunity to reach a very nice demographic directly.

Last edited:
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/b...tors-batteries-proposed-for-austin-solar.html

In late 2014, Austin Energy announced the community solar project would be built for customers unable to install solar panels at their homes but seeking access to solar-generated power. It was initially scheduled to be completed this summer but City Council didn’t approve the project until March. It’s now slated to be completed in summer 2016 and become the first community solar project in Texas.

Porsche Unveils Prototype Battery-Driven Sports Car - WSJ

Tesla proved with its Model S that there is a niche market for battery-driven luxury vehicles, even if global demand for electric vehicles has trailed the hype. As recently as March, Mr. Müller appeared reluctant to move forward with the project. But Tesla’s continued success and regulatory pressure to cut carbon dioxide emissions forced the company to enter the field.

“We have great respect for Tesla,” Mr. Müller said. “They are the only one who have brought an electric vehicle on the market that you have to take seriously.”

Tesla wasn’t immediately available for comment.

Last edited:
Honestly, I do love that all these Tesla competitors are to be revealed at IAA in Frankfurt soon.
Let the corresponding companies show off their concept cars and ideas for the future years.
Let them position first.
Then, about one week later on Tuesday there is no trade fair but a reality show planned in California at Tesla Motors.
The cars on stage there will not only look great, but they will be driven home by their new owners, that's a huge difference!
... and I know for sure that Tesla Motors was able to keep some amazing features as a secret during the last weeks.
After the Model X Founders deliveries nobody will talk about Tesla competition, everybody will talk about Tesla Motors Model X.
This is the calm before the storm.

Last edited:
1) If Apple can produce a vehicle better than the Model S, that never needs to be charged or filled up, the Apple Car will destroy the entire automobile industry, not just Tesla.

2) Entering the automobile industry as a stand alone manufacturer would expose Apple to an incalculable amount of risk.

3) Tesla is more than an automobile manufacturer. If Apple kills Tesla, Apple will also be killing Tesla's goal of producing a modern clean grid, that can withstand almost anything. Would it be wise for Apple to try to do this?

4) By 2020, Tesla will be selling 1 million vehicles annually. To compete with a $30,000 Tesla that includes every feature 99% of people could ever need, Apple would need to do a number of things that are probably not possible.

5) Lawsuits, Antitrust, state and PR backlash against Apple.

6) It would take years for Apple to get the necessary permits.

7) It would make a lot more sense for Apple to invest billions into Tesla and other companies, and to
share the advanced technology Apple is probably working on. This would be a much better business and PR move.

Interesting thought about things Nikola Teslas technology that will probably be released in the coming years.

DailyTech - Tesla-Inspired Metamaterial Converts 900 MHz Microwaves to Power

1) If Apple can produce a vehicle better than the Model S, that never needs to be charged or filled up, the Apple Car will destroy the entire automobile industry, not just Tesla.

2) Entering the automobile industry as a stand alone manufacturer would expose Apple to an incalculable amount of risk.

3) Tesla is more than an automobile manufacturer. If Apple kills Tesla, Apple will also be killing Tesla's goal of producing a modern clean grid, that can withstand almost anything. Would it be wise for Apple to try to do this?

4) By 2020, Tesla will be selling 1 million vehicles annually. To compete with a $30,000 Tesla that includes every feature 99% of people could ever need, Apple would need to do a number of things that are probably not possible.

5) Lawsuits, Antitrust, state and PR backlash against Apple.

6) It would take years for Apple to get the necessary permits.

7) It would make a lot more sense for Apple to invest billions into Tesla and other companies, and to
share the advanced technology Apple is probably working on. This would be a much better business and PR move.

Interesting thought about things Nikola Teslas technology that will probably be released in the coming years.

DailyTech - Tesla-Inspired Metamaterial Converts 900 MHz Microwaves to Power

Yeah right, and apple tv is around the corner.

Apple could have bought netflix two years ago for $5 billion and did not ,
and made it part of iTunes, what a mistake that was.

Apple does not even manufacture its own phone, let alone consider building a car.

Pure vaporware.

Tesla Factory Tour 2015 - YouTube

This was posted to Reddit, 17:50 mark is his mention of the X. Highly secretive to be sure...
Thanks! I really enjoyed that video!
How can Apple possibly kill Tesla? Even if they could kill off Tesla's car business (which I believe is impossible), Tesla would still thrive with their Energy Storage products.

Last edited:
There is zero chance that shared mobility services will employ ICE based vehicles - they will be based on EVs. So core technology is electric propulsion system. No company can claim to be "ahead" without leadership in the core technology.

Seems to be a misunderstanding. When you talk about self-driving prior, I understood it to be a reference to autopilot and so on (in which BMW leads Tesla), not to shared mobility services (in which Uber or even Zipcar lead Tesla). I also do not share your opinion that leadership in EV drivetrain technology is going to be the deciding factor for shared mobility services.

Yeah right, and apple tv is around the corner.

Apple could have bought netflix two years ago for $5 billion and did not ,
and made it part of iTunes, what a mistake that was.

Apple does not even manufacture its own phone, let alone consider building a car.

Pure vaporware.

Apple invests in building products that are better than what is currently available, with performance and functionality that improves over time. (Battery Life, Charging Time, Performance, introduction of state of the art sensors, etc.).

Apple has partners that build most of the components that go into Apple products. Apple has suppliers from many countries. Apple consolidates and saves industries. Apple does not kill industries. Apple invests its cash where it matters, and focuses on features and that produce tangible value for people. Apple has enough sales volume and cash to invest billions in developing and deploying state of the art technology, and still make a crazy amount of profit from its devices.

It would make a lot more sense for Apple to invest $40 billion into Tesla, in multiple ways. This would guarantee Tesla will be very successful, allow Apple to profit significantly from Tesla's success (and put its cash to work), and wouldn't expose Apple to the risk to would be taking on we're Apple to try to become a standalone automobile manufacturer.

There are only a handful of ways to sensibly invest $300 billion. Injecting capital into suppliers to save companies that lack the necessary supply chain and cash, would be a very interesting and probably very good way for Apple to invest its cash, and to yield very significant returns on its investments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.