Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Final hour has been rough lately for the overall market. I expect it'll settle back to $247.50 (Max pain)

Let me take care of that for you by jinxing it.

Say, that is a nice rally happening from $246 to $249 in the last hour.

You're welcome...

And hey, what's all this talk about regen and inverter efficiency doing in the short-term TSLA discussion? Should be where a lot more interested readers will see it (not hidden in a stock investments page) -
Model S: Battery Charging

You're welcome...

And hey, what's all this talk about regen and inverter efficiency doing in the short-term TSLA discussion? Should be where a lot more interested readers will see it (not hidden in a stock investments page) -
Model S: Battery Charging

Youre right... That IS a nice rally from 246 to 249...

This could be pretty big.
It reads as LAPD "loaned" a model S, not "leased"... Sounds to me like Tesla gave them a car to play with... Me no like the lost $130K in revenues :(.

Tesla is making way more cars then they can sell, so they are giving them out to police officers for free! $TSLA is surely going to go to $20! #DemandProblem #BearArgument

I think it's great. Is there any doubt this car is going to be loved by the LAPD? None, zip, zero. That 'loan' of a car has HUGE potential for future revenue.
I don't think that the LAPD will become big buyers of the MX and MS. But they will definitely be big buyers of the M3 and M3-X (and LA will be one city of many!). In the meantime the publicity could be a substantial help.

You're welcome...

Green now! Above $250. Ending the week with a little boom :smile:

Time for a sweet victory lap over the jinx and sp over $250

[/QUOTE]

My expectation is that there will be an insatiable flood of demand for Tesla cars from institution fleet managers, business fleet managers, Gov fleet managers, taxis, etc. The Model S is too expensive for this market segment at the current price point.

This demand floodgate will start opening as the Tesla cars price goes down. Tesla brand fits this segment requirements in respect to performance, running costs, public perception (green), etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
My expectation is that there will be an insatiable flood of demand for Tesla cars from institution fleet managers, business fleet managers, Gov fleet managers, taxis, etc. The Model S is too expensive for this market segment at the current price point.

If only people crunched the numbers, they'd realize that the Model S would be more economical, too. Hardcore Uber drivers realize that Tesla is one of the cheapest cars they can own for the job if they're pushing 20-30k+ miles a year.

If only people crunched the numbers, they'd realize that the Model S would be more economical, too. Hardcore Uber drivers realize that Tesla is one of the cheapest cars they can own for the job if they're pushing 20-30k+ miles a year.[/COLOR]

As long as they don't do PIT maneuvers often or cause any sort of body damage, they'll be ok. But, I suspect police cars suffer a lot more punishment than the average daily driver so my guess is they'll incur higher costs and longer downtimes than the average Model S driver.

Them 21" rims don't help either.

It reads as LAPD "loaned" a model S, not "leased"... Sounds to me like Tesla gave them a car to play with... Me no like the lost $130K in revenues :(.

Tesla is making way more cars then they can sell, so they are giving them out to police officers for free! $TSLA is surely going to go to $20! #DemandProblem #BearArgument

Not play with with but Tested.

If it passes LAPD's technical requirements then the bean counters crunch the numbers.

Then mega fleet sales.

As long as they don't do PIT maneuvers often or cause any sort of body damage, they'll be ok. But, I suspect police cars suffer a lot more punishment than the average daily driver so my guess is they'll incur higher costs and longer downtimes than the average Model S driver.

Them 21" rims don't help either.

Model S insurance quote v. my Leaf insurance is $1200 more a year. For a vehicle driving 20-30k a year and also idles quite often, especially one that requires being in tip-top shape for performance at any given time, that's just a drop in the bucket.

Tesla becomes more and more affordable the more its driven/used compared to an ICE in the $25-35k range. Insurance is a fixed number.

Police vehicles have a number of functions anyways, there are plenty of police cars that will rarely see heavy action that'd put the rims in danger.

Model S insurance quote v. my Leaf insurance is $1200 more a year. For a vehicle driving 20-30k a year and also idles quite often, especially one that requires being in tip-top shape for performance at any given time, that's just a drop in the bucket.

Tesla becomes more and more affordable the more its driven/used compared to an ICE in the $25-35k range. Insurance is a fixed number.

Police vehicles have a number of functions anyways, there are plenty of police cars that will rarely see heavy action that'd put the rims in danger.

Those "plenty of police cars" are very few. Especially marked vehicles like the one pictured. Even regular Model S owners see 21" rim damage. It's not rare. The reason you don't see police cars with low-profile tires is to avoid the high cost of wear and tear to both rims and tires that occur on most marked cars. They simply don't wear "high heels" on their cars. Can you imagine them replacing those expensive tires every 10K miles or so with the occasional cracked rim?

The police would pay a higher insurance premium on their cars due to the nature of their job, but they usually insure a large number of cars to get a discount. A fleet of Model S vehicles would definitely raise that cost due to the high cost of repair for Model S, although it's quite possible the police will forego doing any repairs to dings and such. Many police fleets cycle their cars after 4 to 5 years or ~100K miles which erodes the savings further.

Many police fleets cycle their cars after 4 to 5 years or ~100K miles which erodes the savings further.

And that is done because those vehicles are ICEs and not EVs that can very easily go 300k+ miles without any substantial repairs. An ICE will save you money by dropping it after 100k miles, but an EV still has just as little maintenance as at the 20k mile mark. See the taxi Leafs that are at 100k+ miles and still running strong, or regular consumers pushing high mileage on the Model S (out of warranty) and still seeing little to no repair cost versus an ICE at the same level of wear.

It's all about Total Cost of Ownership, not about upfront costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.