Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any engineers know if it would make sense to use liquid metal, instead of aluminum for a significant portion of the Model X?

I think cost would make it prohibitive. It's also more appropriate for cast parts that need a very smooth and hard finish, not stamped parts, as I understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

Fit of the falcon doors (horizontal trim & top lines) doesn't look quite right....at least I would not be happy if that were my Model X.

Correct. Rear door trim does not line up.

NextEra Commits to Hawaiis Clean Power Goal, Local Management - Bloomberg Business

NextEra has faced mounting state opposition to its $2.63 billion takeover of Hawaiian Electric. In July, Hawaii Governor David Ige, a Democrat, said he was against the deal as proposed because it failed to align with the state’s goal of 100 percent renewable power. Earlier this month, Hawaii’s consumer advocate added to the opposition, saying the deal wasn’t in the public’s interest.

Had a wonderful dinner tonight with my 79 year old father. Succeeded in getting him to come out for dinner with my brother, all the wives and my children. He's confined to a wheelchair and among other maladies he has advanced Parkinson's. But he has occasional days of lucidity and today was one of them.

He surprised me by not only knowing about Musk and the Model S but also understanding what I was into with TSLA. "You better hang on tight when you're riding a rocket. Might go to the moon, might fall out of the sky. Just keep putting in the same amount at the same interval. Don't be scared. Supposed to go up and down. If the story didn't change, your reason for owning didn't either. Be patient."

That's my advice from a senile old man living out his final days on the Great Lakes. Keep dollar cost averaging, and hold on tight.

Sounds like a prophet with that kind of prose. Nice!

Looks like a well backed China based start-up company is going to try and challenge Tesla. It includes former Tesla employees. I say good, but may be a short term negative on the stock.

"The sportscar is expected to debut in 2016. It will be designed to produce more than 1,000 horsepower and accelerate from 0 to 100 kilometers an hour (62 miles per hour) within 3 seconds, Liu said. A range of high-performance family cars will follow."

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/31/hillhouse-tencent-build-leach-led-team-at-nextev-china-tesla-rival.html

Touching and insightful story, thanks for sharing. All the best to your dad.

Had a wonderful dinner tonight with my 79 year old father. Succeeded in getting him to come out for dinner with my brother, all the wives and my children. He's confined to a wheelchair and among other maladies he has advanced Parkinson's. But he has occasional days of lucidity and today was one of them.

He surprised me by not only knowing about Musk and the Model S but also understanding what I was into with TSLA. "You better hang on tight when you're riding a rocket. Might go to the moon, might fall out of the sky. Just keep putting in the same amount at the same interval. Don't be scared. Supposed to go up and down. If the story didn't change, your reason for owning didn't either. Be patient."

That's my advice from a senile old man living out his final days on the Great Lakes. Keep dollar cost averaging, and hold on tight.

- - - Updated - - -

TSLA down 4% in Germany as of this morning, following NASDAQ.

Any engineers know if it would make sense to use liquid metal, instead of aluminum for a significant portion of the Model X? This would explain why the Model X would only use 30% of the same parts as the Model S.

BMG's (bulk metallic glasses) like the ones Liquid Metal produces aren't meant to be for panel, but I could see them being used as for certain structural parts. However, the cost would be enormous, not to mention that it's probably not possible to produce big sheets for structural parts which need to be stamped. Production method is difficult for BMG's on larger scale.

The configurator was expected soon, so it will only cause the price to move if it showed investors something different than they anticipated.

With a stated 3.2 0-60 time and an all in price of 142,750$ I would say that is a bit of a surprise to me. That means it is hands down the quickest SUV/CUV/whatever on the market, and the price is only 750$ more than a maxed out Model S.

It's also interesting to me that the configuration "spy shots" and any commentary is no where but on TMC that I can tell. Nothing from analysis or "journalists". Nothing I could see on stock twits. Not sure what's taking so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.