Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not poetry, ANYTHING but poetry...

Seriously, nice to see there is still a sense of humor on the short-term thread, makes these dips less harrowing.
I would like to hear from someone with an 8-ball on when this dip will rip in the other direction.

Yep. Like the humor.

My view is Elon needs to provide some positive updates on production (overall and MX). This will help the short-term view

examples:

1). We are ramping Q4 production. Last week we produced 1400 cars. Our best week ever

2). We are working closely with suppliers (windows and seats). We are confident they can meet our production needs in Q4. He's talked publicly before about these suppliers so an update would be great

Recent price action has me worried/not worried and some may consider me a perma-bull, but here's my justification as to why I'd be a buyer in the short term (especially now).

Fundamentally, the share price action doesn't make sense as we are simply drawing conclusions with little evidence as to what kind of production issues Tesla is running into. None of which is confirmed. I'm not worried because if there is a delay in X deliveries, Tesla can offset with Model S deliveries which got a demand bump.

Technically speaking, we're in oversold territory however way you slice it. In addition, we're also looking at a period of time where money managers want to pump up their results for the year to offset their losers. Why not book profits on Tesla that has a high % gain to make your reports look better. This is also around the time where people are evaluated and bonuses are based on performance (a little selfishness going on here). Volume seems to be above average as well.

Sentimentally we are on the downturn. It's important to not mix up the feelings you have when seeing your account go negative versus what the people are saying on things such as sqwak box and the press. It's kind of a negative feedback loop because you'll run into the trap of selling late and buying too early. Look at your time horizon. The next play is going to be really earnings and keeping track of FY15 and more importantly preliminary 2016 guidance.

Tesla is in the growth stage of the company curve. They've added a model line, a new line of business, are expanding staff rapidly, and laying down the infrastructure that will be the foundation for the next phase of long term growth. Tillburg, Gigafactory, etc.

I brought it up before and I'll bring it up again. The secondary pricing at $242, the underwriters are not stupid and neither are their clients. This temporary SP depression is exactly that: temporary. There's a reason why that offer got filled.

Moderator Interjection
Let's keep the discussion primarily focused on short-term price movements. There are other sub-forums in which to discuss distances between SuperChargers and other, non-market-related issues.

Moderator Interjection
Let's keep the discussion primarily focused on short-term price movements. There are other sub-forums in which to discuss distances between SuperChargers and other, non-market-related issues.

What is the situation with SuperCharger threads right now? They're all buried within individual regional sub-forums right? Can there please be another GLOBAL SpC thread in the investors, or at least Tesla Motors, section? I think this was discussed before and it was decided that breaking the thread into regional ones was preferred, but maybe people shoudl have a say on if they like the change. I for one miss that thread.

Recent price action has me worried/not worried and some may consider me a perma-bull, but here's my justification as to why I'd be a buyer in the short term (especially now).

Fundamentally, the share price action doesn't make sense as we are simply drawing conclusions with little evidence as to what kind of production issues Tesla is running into. None of which is confirmed. I'm not worried because if there is a delay in X deliveries, Tesla can offset with Model S deliveries which got a demand bump.

Technically speaking, we're in oversold territory however way you slice it. In addition, we're also looking at a period of time where money managers want to pump up their results for the year to offset their losers. Why not book profits on Tesla that has a high % gain to make your reports look better. This is also around the time where people are evaluated and bonuses are based on performance (a little selfishness going on here). Volume seems to be above average as well.

Sentimentally we are on the downturn. It's important to not mix up the feelings you have when seeing your account go negative versus what the people are saying on things such as sqwak box and the press. It's kind of a negative feedback loop because you'll run into the trap of selling late and buying too early. Look at your time horizon. The next play is going to be really earnings and keeping track of FY15 and more importantly preliminary 2016 guidance.

Tesla is in the growth stage of the company curve. They've added a model line, a new line of business, are expanding staff rapidly, and laying down the infrastructure that will be the foundation for the next phase of long term growth. Tillburg, Gigafactory, etc.

I brought it up before and I'll bring it up again. The secondary pricing at $242, the underwriters are not stupid and neither are their clients. This temporary SP depression is exactly that: temporary. There's a reason why that offer got filled.

+1!

Yep. Like the humor.

My view is Elon needs to provide some positive updates on production (overall and MX). This will help the short-term view

examples:

1). We are ramping Q4 production. Last week we produced 1400 cars. Our best week ever

2). We are working closely with suppliers (windows and seats). We are confident they can meet our production needs in Q4. He's talked publicly before about these suppliers so an update would be great

Elon is generally good at debunking wrong information as soon as possible. With respect to MX production issues, and I see that along with meeting Q4 numbers + 2015 numbers, as the real problem. I am afraid Elon may not have a precise answer now and when he does, there are more chances he revises down the projection.

I know plenty of people that can afford 10, but aren't even thinking about getting one (other than listening to me tell them how great they are).

I have a neighbor that drives from Savannah, GA (actually 20 miles west of Savannah off I-16) to Charlotte, NC (King's Mountain west of Charlotte actually). I sort of had her thinking she might want one. So, she asked me what she would have to do on her regular trips to Charlotte as far as charging (keeping in mind that she drives between 78-82mph). I had already sold her on the fact that she would never again have to stop at a gas station for her local driving. She was in love with that. So, I checked out her route. She drives from her home to I-95 which is about 25 miles. She then goes north on I-95 to I-26, to I-77 to Charlotte. Basically, she would have to stop at both the Santee Charger and the Charlotte charger. The Santee stop would be about 20 minutes, but the Charlotte charge would need to be a full charge. Keep in mind, she makes this drive both ways the same day. Also, keep in mind that the Santee charger is about 10 miles north of where she normally gets off at I-26. So, not only does she have a 20 minute charge there, but she also has a 20 minute detour. The supercharger in Charlotte is also not on her route. It is a 20 minute detour away. So, there's another 40 minutes (plus at least 40 minutes to charge). The charge at Santee ultimately costs her 40 minutes x 2 (80 minutes). And the Charlotte charge costs her 80 minutes (20 detour time +40 charge time +20 detour time).

So, if she drives a Tesla on these trips, her day will be longer by AT LEAST 2 hours and 40 minutes (minus the 10 minutes it takes her to fill her gas tank now). She looked at me and said, "you're out of your mind."

It's not a question of money - sorry to say.

I wish to respond to this post, but not in this thread. It doesn't belong in short term trading. Once it is moved I will respond.

Yup, I think my Jan. 16 $280 calls are toast.
Yikes (Current price 280.00 3.95)! I'm in a similar situation. About 70% of my options are Jan 16, a mostly 230's and 240's with a couple of 250's and 260's. I think if by the early Jan announcement, they can hit 50k, with even as few as 3-4 weeks of 1,200-1,600 MX (not likely?), that would be a big help.

I might be forced to make a decision if there is a small pre-er spike or a small post-er spike.

Yep, Tesla Energy is a huge part of making sure that the gigafactory stays busy once various portions of it are completed...

Looking at the profit margins associated with Tesla Energy vs. Tesla vehicles, however, I think we will see Tesla Energy on the low side until the gigafactory is running at top form and significant economies of scale are present...

In other words, it's a matter of not only demand for the gigafactory cells but also for creating demand for cells that can yield suitable profit early on.

Lets keep in mind Tesla has said at least 30% cost reduction for the GF in 2017 and 50% by 2020.

It’s not really clear how much the firm is paying per kWh of power in a Li-Ion pack, but it’s likely that its costs are lower than other players in the market...

...but we won’t know how much Tesla is paying until Elon Musk and whoever replaces Deepak Ahuja as the firm’s CFO decide to tell us. Given the secrets the firm keeps, we might be waiting a long long time.

Elon Musk (Chairman and CEO):The gross margin revenue [for stationary storage] obviously is going to change with time. When it's low volume, made in three months, it will be relatively low margin. Once we get to Gigafactory up and running and high-volume, get the economies of scale working, this is just a guess right now, but maybe it's somewhere around 20%. This is not like -- it's like we don't have enough information to say exactly what that would be, but probably 20% is a reasonable guess.
It was obvious to me that EM was trying to answer the question, without revealing their pack costs. But I mistakenly jumped to the conclusion that he was lying. They have been producing similar car packs for years, how could he not know? And how does he get from a "relatively low margin" now to "somewhere around 20%" with the GF, when by the 2017 the GF is going to reduce pack prices by at least 30%?

I now think he was telling the truth, and referring to the cost of the enclosure. They are different than, and more complex than than the car packs, and they undoubtedly plan to set up an optimized assembly line, when they move to the GF. So if we assume that they could make a total profit of "around 20%" just by building those products, on an optimized assembly line in Fremont (without including the other GF related price reductions), if they maintain their current prices by 2017 they would have margins, of "around" 50%.

If you disagree with that assumption, can you think of a reason (I can't) that doesn't require EM to have lied?

Yikes (Current price 280.00 3.95)! I'm in a similar situation. About 70% of my options are Jan 16, a mostly 230's and 240's with a couple of 250's and 260's. I think if by the early Jan announcement, they can hit 50k, with even as few as 3-4 weeks of 1,200-1,600 MX (not likely?), that would be a big help.

I bit the bullet today and sold my remaining Dec15 190 calls and then bought a somewhat smaller number of Jan17 180s in order to derisk the short term. Would be delighted if I am wrong to do this, but the current environment allows for such trades in a reasonably efficient fashion.

Edit:
This was a rather painless decision. I swapped better performance in the event of a quick recovery for a safer position that allows substantial profits during 2016 as Tesla turns cash positive and the Model X ramps up. So far I have always found ways to profit from dips over the long run, and my strategy is now in place. Deep in the money calls fare better than OTM calls when surprises happen, but holding deep ITM calls too long on a downswing can eventually bite you if you're stubborn about holding onto them.

Keep your eyes open. Dips are both painful events and great opportunities to position for future profits.

Last edited:
To re-inject some short term trading in this, the short term TSLA price thread, I bought some Oct 16 240 calls today for under $1. I think the sell off this week on no news what-so-ever is overdone. Totally spectulative though.

My core long holding of shares and '16 options remains untouched.

Yep. Like the humor.

examples:

Fred, Do you know this for a fact? Is there a link/did I miss something? This would be welcome news. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.