Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its 35k. But once there's TCO involved the real cost is much less.

Exactly. The TCO would make it comparable to a $25-27k car. I was just thinking that the other day, we just turned 24k on the odom and I calculated we spent $770 in electricity, $35 inspection, $36 registration, $1100 insurance. $6 washer fluid, $250 car washing.

The only thing that was cheaper with the Bimmer we traded was insurance by $240 and we didn't wash it quite as much.

... Or they could just lower the cost of the 85kWh car and get rid of the 60kWh version altogether. Either way, it will be good for demand.).

get rid of models to increase demand? This may wok for companies with product line bloat, but that is not tesla. Getting rid of the 60 would be a silly idea, sillier than getting rid of the 40 was. At least shelving the 40 could have made sense short term.

get rid of models to increase demand? This may wok for companies with product line bloat, but that is not tesla. Getting rid of the 60 would be a silly idea, sillier than getting rid of the 40 was. At least shelving the 40 could have made sense short term.

IMO, the starting price of the Model S will never go down. The value proposition, however, will increase over time as new options are added and as technology advances. Tesla packed a whole lot of technology into certain areas of the car like battery management, however they didn't spend much developing some of the "luxury" options that come standard in that car class. Going forward, Tesla will add options to make the Model S outshine every car in every conceivable metric... we are already seeing this take place. I think the 60 is passable compared to the 40, but still semi-hobbled and will be phased out; in poor weather conditions it doesn't get amazing mileage. Tesla should work towards 300 miles on a single charge, in any condition, as the baseline.

Now speaking about short term movements. I wasn't convinced that they would show anything other than the D on Oct. 9th, and that seems to be the dual motor; the "something else" I was thinking would be the driver assist mods already in the wild. As I read more of people's posts I'm doubting myself and starting to think that Elon will do something big. Do we have confirmation that owners have been invited from Europe? And can we peg some estimates on how many people have been invited? Model 3 reveal would be huge, and it almost makes sense for it to happen. And the more I think back to the last earnings call, Elon just seemed so confident and bullish.

If there is no gap up on Monday, I might do some shopping for some Oct. way otm calls like AlMc!

How do people feel the price action will differ based on these three scenarios?
1) Model X Beta reveal
2) Model 3 design reveal
3) Only the D, and the "something else" is not significant

IMO, the starting price of the Model S will never go down. The value proposition, however, will increase over time as new options are added and as technology advances. Tesla packed a whole lot of technology into certain areas of the car like battery management, however they didn't spend much developing some of the "luxury" options that come standard in that car class. Going forward, Tesla will add options to make the Model S outshine every car in every conceivable metric... we are already seeing this take place. I think the 60 is passable compared to the 40, but still semi-hobbled and will be phased out; in poor weather conditions it doesn't get amazing mileage. Tesla should work towards 300 miles on a single charge, in any condition, as the baseline.

Now speaking about short term movements. I wasn't convinced that they would show anything other than the D on Oct. 9th, and that seems to be the dual motor; the "something else" I was thinking would be the driver assist mods already in the wild. As I read more of people's posts I'm doubting myself and starting to think that Elon will do something big. Do we have confirmation that owners have been invited from Europe? And can we peg some estimates on how many people have been invited? Model 3 reveal would be huge, and it almost makes sense for it to happen. And the more I think back to the last earnings call, Elon just seemed so confident and bullish.

If there is no gap up on Monday, I might do some shopping for some Oct. way otm calls like AlMc!

How do people feel the price action will differ based on these three scenarios?
1) Model X Beta reveal
2) Model 3 design reveal
3) Only the D, and the "something else" is not significant

Here is my scenario (subject to change on a whim as my investment strategies are based more on dumb luck than anything else)

1. X reveal: we see $275 before Q3ER, then depending on ER/CC stock goes up/down from there
2. Mod 3 design reveal: we see $295 before ER, then as ER/CC as above
3. S AWD/'so so something else': We see $260-265 before Oct 9th, then drop back to $250, then ER/CC as above

Since like many here I am heavy on the stock/call/LEAP side right now I am actually considering protective puts; looking at expiry last two week of October.

I'm glad we're having some thoughtful discussion about the challenge of pressing toward greater affordability at a time when Tesla will announce a major upgrade that can easily enhance both ASP and GM. The resistance to reducing base price seems mostly to do with concern about it's impact on GM. Secondarily, there is concern about being too supply constrained at the moment to do this. If the economics are there for a more affordable Model S, then to some extent the timing and capacity issue will take care of itself. That is, if the return is good enough, then Tesla increases investments to accelerate roll out of additional capacity.

We should also keep in mind that the experience gained by pressing into what appears to be a lower margin product is worth an awful lot. It will challenge Tesla to find even more manufacturing and product design efficiencies faster than it might otherwise. So what appears to be low margin now may become a more comfortable margin with experience and may also improve margins in product variants that already enjoy a high margin. The wisdom of the experience curve effect is that an organization should always be challenging to itself to gain experience with higher volume even at the cost of lower margin.

So I'd like to address the GM issue more directly, and we can have the timing and capacity discussion as a follow up. I'd like to use a simple mathematical model for pricing. I know that when I introduce mathematics, I will lose some readers. But I believe the mathematics lends insight that is well worth the effort to gain, and I will try to keep this accessible at a high school algebra level. I believe that if we better understand the pricing options, we will not fear lower margins on the base model and welcome it as a way to expand the the addressable market of the Model S or any other product line.

Let's develop a pricing model based on two margins: a base margin and an upgrade margin. To be concrete, let's assume that the base model (with no options) is priced with a 20% margin, and that all upgrades and options are incrementally priced at a 50% margin. Mathematically, this implies the following:

Base.Cost = (1 - 0.20) * Base.Price
Cost - Base.Cost = (1 - 0.50) * (Price - Base.Price)

This leads to a simple equation relating cost to price:

Cost = (1 - 0.50/0.80)*Base.Cost + 0.50 * Price
= 0.375 * Base.Cost + 0.50 * Price

This is a linear relationship, so the same formula applies to averages. In particular, the average cost of goods sold is given by the following:

ACGS = 0.375 * Base.Cost + 0.50 * ASP

From this, the GM is derived,

GM = (ASP - ACGS) / ASP
= 0.50 - 0.372 * Base.Cost / ASP

So under this pricing regime, any activity that decreases the ratio of Base.Cost to ASP will drive up gross margin. Adding a Dual Motor option is a great example of how to drive up ASP with minimal impact Base.Cost. The result of which will be increased GM. But it should also be appreciated that a strategy to lower Base.Cost (along with all the prices changes this pricing regime assumes) will also drive up GM while increasing volume. Both are valid and worthwhile ways to go advance Tesla's capabilities.

So let us assume that for the moment, ASP is $100,000 and Base.Cost (S60 with no options) is $50,000. (If anyone has better numbers, do share.) Under the above pricing model, Tesla would price the S60 starting at $62,500 (= 50,000/.80) and the GM would be 31.25% (= 0.50 - 0.375*50/100).

Now we see that having a rich option set is really valuable and compatible with driving down the price of the base version. Consider pricing the S60 at $62,500. Anyone who would have bought that anyway at $71,000 now feels pretty good about loading it up with the options they value the most. So maybe they want the D for $10,000, Supercharger access for $2000, leather seats, pano roof, etc. At the end of the day, they drive away with a car they really like for a price of, say, $75,000. The cost of this car is $56,250, netting $18,750 or 25%. Now tell me that's not a good deal for both the customer and for Tesla. Of course, there will be a few buyers who will only buy a completely stripped down model. Fair enough, they are delighted to get an S60 for $62,500 which cost Tesla $50,000 to build, netting $12,500 or 20%. Such a buyer would have never bought at $71,000 anyway to this is an incremental sale. The point I'd like to drive home is that a rich option set can motivate both a higher selling price and a higher margin per customer. Now that Tesla has the D, I think the option set is rich enough to make this all work.

One final issue I'd like to address is this idea that Tesla will never lower the price of the Model S. This is an ambiguous objective. One needs to have a specific measure of price in mind. Some have suggested that the base price should never come down, but that over times more features should be made standard to make the a more attractive offer. That could work, but really this is changing the meaning of the base version over time. Suppose you made the D standard on the S60 and sold it for $71,000. Sure that would be an attractive price, but how is this any better than offer the D as an option for $10,000 and setting the price base price for the S60 at $62,500? Loading a car up standard with features that customers do not uniformly value is not the most efficient way to find the best value at the best price for each unique customer. One customer really wants dual motors while another wants Supercharger access and leather seats. So let each customer pay for what makes them most happy, and Tesla's build-to-order manufacturing model supports this. So as an alternative, I would recommend that when we discuss the principle of never reducing the price of the Model S that we think specifically about the average selling price, not the base price. Clearly, Tesla can continue to drive up the ASP of the Model S over time. It just has to keep adding features, options and other enhancements that attract a higher ASP. Meanwhile, this objective of never decreasing the ASP is completely compatible with expanding affordability too. I think we really do want offer both more Wow! and more Affordable! within the Model S line. Affordability really comes down to paying a premium for only those things you value the most and paying very little for those things you value the least. Delivering a rich option set is key to both Wow! and Affordable! If Tesla can do that--and I believe it can--the ASP never needs to come down and growth in unit sales never needs to stagnate.

Loading a car up standard with features that customers do not uniformly value is not the most efficient way to find the best value at the best price for each unique customer. One customer really wants dual motors while another wants Supercharger access and leather seats. So let each customer pay for what makes them most happy, and Tesla's build-to-order manufacturing model supports this.

First you need not forget that Tesla is about doing things differently; disruption, innovation, etc... You're wanting/trying to turn them into every other car mfg out there. I'm never fooled by another mfgs 'base' price. I know that I'm getting nothing, but an engine/motor and 4 wheels. So in that regard, base price means nothing to me and does not draw me in no matter how low it appears to be at first glance, there's no way I'm walking off the lot paying that price and that annoys the crap out of me. It feels dirty in the same way people felt it was dirty when Tesla originally came out with their 'leasing cost' calculator.

When someone sees the base price of a Model S, it appears Tesla wants them to know that there getting some goodies in there and that as time passes more goodies will be added, increasing value. That may not be the most mathematical way to do business and increase the bottom line, but Elon and Tesla have never been about the bottom line, first and foremost. Bottom line only exists to get to the end goal.

It doesn't appear as if 'D' will be a standard feature on the S. It will be on the X because that makes sense. Tesla appears to be quite intelligently deciding which features become the new standard and which ones don't, adding value to the S to a wider market each and every month. Elon made a statement a while back when asked why the S didn't have certain features (typically expected in that segment) and he said (paraphrased) that at some point they just had to stop engineering and just make the car or they'd never see it to market. It seems to me that Tesla is mostly adding features that they felt the car should have had all along and adding a few others to be that innovative, disruptive company. Here's a product with a significant purchase price that typically loses chunks of value as soon as you drive it out the door, and Tesla has found a way to slow that depreciation. That has significant value. If they can do that with the Model 3 (obviously to a lesser degree because it won't have the same amount or kind of features - per Elon), that makes the Model 3 that much more affordable and desirable.

Now tell me that's not a good deal for both the customer and for Tesla.

I still don't see how stimulating demand a bit by giving up gross margin a good deal for Tesla at a time when they will still be supply constrained for probably more than 18 months forward. Getting a high GM on the Model S and X is crucial for a fast ramp up in production of their higher end models as well as the Model 3.

Krugerrand, the MS has a price spread between 70 and 130k. That is not a car which comes with everything standard. The way tesla is different is by letting customers pick and choose their own cars, and splitting up options instead of just offering 3-4 packages. Jhm's suggestion doesn't turn them into other car mfgs at all.

Krugerrand, the MS has a price spread between 70 and 130k. That is not a car which comes with everything standard. The way tesla is different is by letting customers pick and choose their own cars, and splitting up options instead of just offering 3-4 packages. Jhm's suggestion doesn't turn them into other car mfgs at all.

Except that he wants Tesla to lower the base price and all the 'free' extras that Model S owners have enjoyed receiving over the last two years to be priced as options instead of being free. That is turning Tesla into other manufacturers.

I still don't see how stimulating demand a bit by giving up gross margin a good deal for Tesla at a time when they will still be supply constrained for probably more than 18 months forward. Getting a high GM on the Model S and X is crucial for a fast ramp up in production of their higher end models as well as the Model 3.

That's a good question. For me, it's a question of how quickly we want to ramp up production in the near-term and how many vehicles do we want to sell in the long-run.

First the near-term, it looks like Tesla will enter 2015 at 50k/year run rate (1000/wk) and exit 2015 at a 100k/year run rate (2000/wk). One risk of ramping up so quickly is that capacity might outpace demand. I happen to think that is not a big risk. So why not ramp up to a 150k to 200k per year run rate by the end of 2015? Of course, there may be other constraints that kick in at this rate, but I think for many of us we might start wondering if there is sufficient demand to get to 200k/year by end of 2015. If you want to try to grow like that, it may be prudent to adjust your pricing earlier than later. If you cut prices after raising capacity above demand, it looks weak. If you smartly trim prices before you ramp up capacity on noble grounds that you want to put more EVs within reach of more car buyers, it looks bold and forward looking. There is a strategic commitment that happens when you must scale up your capacity to meet the aggressiveness of your pricing plan. So that's next year. Do we want to end 2015 at a 150k run rate or better?

Second, in the long-run, we have concerns about the ultimate demand for the Model S. I think many people see the Model S as maxing out with demand at 100k to 200k per year. In fact, I see people making the assumption within their cash flow models that unit sales for both Models S and X combined will level out once the Model 3 is introduced. Part of the thinking here seems to be that the Model 3 will be so attractive that it will take sales away from Models S/X. If this happens, I would argue that part of the fault would be a lack of affordability in the Models S and X. Think about someone how wants to spend about $75k on a Tesla. Their choice could be to buy a totally optioned out Model 3 at say $65, or a very stripped down S60. So if they go for the Model 3, then Tesla misses out on $10k in revenue. But under my pricing proposal, they could actually get an nicely optioned S60 for $75k. Whether they go for the S or the 3, the customer is given a better set of choices and will be happier either way. So if Tesla makes progress on the affordability of both the Models S and X, I think these models can stand there own when the Model 3 is introduced. Moreover, I think they could continue to grow unit sales through the end of the decade, perhaps hitting as much as 500k/year in 2020 for Models S and X combined. Does this take anything away from the Model 3? I don't think so. To the contrary, if Models X and S can reach 500k/year by 2020, this will create tremendous backing to accelerate the ramp up for Model 3 and whatever is to follow. So instead of ramping Model 3 to 300k to 400k per year by 2020, maybe we could be looking at 600k to 1000k per year by that time.

I would also point out to people working on cash flow models for Tesla that, if you assume that Model S/X unit sales max out with the introduction of the Model 3 and that the margin on the Model 3 is substantially lower than Model S/X, then you have a serious drop off in the y/y growth of gross profit as the Model is rolled out. This kind of drop in earnings growth could undermine high P/E ratios. So if Models S and X plateau too quickly this could be a real crisis for the stock price. If you want the stock price to grow past the introduction of Model 3, then you really hope Models S and X can continue to increase unit sales without compromising ASP or GM. So my hope is that Tesla will embrace the affordability challenge for the Model S when the Model X rolls out and later work on affordability of Model X as the Model 3 is rolled out. I think this is more sustainable path.

So do I think that S60 needs to get an affordability upgrade right now? No, not really. I think the announcement of the D could be a great opportunity to slip this in and be offset by the ASP and GM gains that the D will afford. The next opportunity is see is when the Model X is introduced, particularly if the focus is on high-end versions of Model X. Here again the attention will be on the high-end new thing and will offset impact on ASP and GM. Another opportunity may come when significant auto-pilot technology is released. If Tesla waits too long, waits until unit growth of the Model S has stagnated, then it could be more of an embarrassment to cut prices or add standard features. So that is why I would prefer to do this when something new and bold is introduced. Another factor is this idea of never decreasing the price of the Model S, by which I mean the ASP. If you let the ASP run up too high too fast, then you leave yourself little room to the upside. You risk having to make cuts to ASP just to keep sales volume up. So expanding affordability on the way up builds in some robustness to never having to pull back ASP. So I'd like to see ASP capped to about $100,000, wherein you enhance affordability only as much as is needed to keep ASP at about $100,000. Under my theoretical pricing plan, that would also hold GM to at least 30% and increase it as the Base.Cost comes down due to efficiency. There are many ways to enhance affordability. FWIW, I'd like to see the S60 upgraded to a 70 kWh pack once a cheaper battery pack becomes available. In fact, if an S70 plus Supercharger access were offered today at $71,000, I would personally find that pretty compelling, maybe that's just me. However, I don't think this is really in the cards until the Gigafactory is pumping out product. Until then, I think modest price reductions on the S60 is the way to enhance affordability.

I guess another issue around enhancing affordability in advance of Model 3 is that there is significant demand waiting in the wings for the Model 3. If some of that demand in waiting can be induced to buy sooner, that could be a good thing. For example, a 20% margin ($12,500) on a $62,500 S60 in 2015 may be worth more to Tesla than a 15% margin ($7,500) on a $50,000 Model 3 in 2018. And such a customer may even elect to buy a Model 3 in 2018 as a second vehicle. So if it makes sense to build out capacity to sell that Model 3 in 2018 for a $7500 margin, doesn't it make sense to build out the capacity to sell the S60 at a reduced cost to make $12,500 margin in 2015? The question should be how do we tap into demand for the Model 3 before the Model 3 is available. This is analogous to the current situation with the Model X. There are 20,000 reservations for the Model X just waiting to buy. Some fraction of those reservation holders are mostly waiting for AWD. So by introducing the Dual Motor option now on the Model S, some fraction of demand waiting for the Model X will be induced to buy a Model S with D on average a year before they would otherwise get a Model X. IMO, it's just not good enough to say to a customer in waiting, "Look, you're just going to have to wait x number of years for the product for you." No, the response should be more like, "What can we offer you today that would come closest to satisfying your needs?" So the Model S plus D is a really good step toward satisfying the needs today of future Model X buyers. Will it satisfy all Model X reservation holders? No, but it is the right thing to do. It will satisfy some demand in waiting and generate needed cash flow to propel the company forward. So I'll leave us all with this challenge in mind, what can Tesla do within the next 12 months to tap into the demand in waiting for the Model 3?

jhm: Why does TM have to tap into the demand for the model E when it appears they can not make the cars fast enough to satisfy demand for their current product(s)? I can see if they were demand constrained and needed new avenues for sales/revenues.

An aside: TM is already above the 1000k/week run rate and on the way to exiting this year over 1,500/wk. My source for this is NOT published but from someone who took a factory tour a couple weeks ago when they ramped up for end of Q3 deliveries.

For me, it's a question of how quickly we want to ramp up production in the near-term and how many vehicles do we want to sell in the long-run.

jhm, you make a good case for Tesla to lower margin/price in favor to increased volume of sales. I think it could be a smart move in the long-term (3-7 years), but I'm not sure about the short-term (ie., next 1-2 years).

Tesla has already given their management team a decently large stock incentive plan that requires Tesla to hit 30% gross margin for 4 consecutive quarters. Realistically they have a limited window to achieve this before Model 3 production starts and gross margin take a huge hit. I would say the window they have is from Q2 2015 to Q4 2016 or so. If Tesla decided to lower the price of the S60 that would increase demand for the S60 (something they don't need right now) and lower gross margin for the S60 as well (something that would hit their gross margin). They also have an agreement with Panasonic for a certain number of battery cells over the next 3-4 years, and it might be difficult to increase production of cells even more so quickly (ie., panasonic would need probably at least a year advance notice and a whole new agreement with Tesla to upwardly increase production further).

I do like the idea of expanding the market and demand for the Model S by providing a more affordable entry point. However, I think for the reasons I listed that this is something that won't be very likely in the next few years but something Tesla could consider longer term.

Except that he wants Tesla to lower the base price and all the 'free' extras that Model S owners have enjoyed receiving over the last two years to be priced as options instead of being free. That is turning Tesla into other manufacturers.

Oh, I'm sorry if you got the impression that I don't like standard features. That is not my intent. My simple model was for illustration purposes only. In principle, when bundle several features into a package, the package as a whole is priced and in my model would be grossed up by 50% for the incremental portion over the base price. If Tesla can in fact produce features cheaper by bundling them, this makes good sense. It may be more expensive to provide some features as stand alone options than to bundle them. Moreover, it can be more convenient to the customer not to be overwhelmed with too many options.

For example, let's look at the difference between the S60 and S85. Basically, you're getting incremental 25kWh plus Supercharger access. Let's suppose $2000 is already a 50% mark up of the cost of the Supercharge access (I suspect its more). And let's also suppose that Tesla's cost per kWh is $250. So a 50% mark up on the battery is $12,500. So according to my model, the S85 should be $14,500 more than the S60. Current pricing places this difference at $10,000. So it looks like you're getting free stuff. To me, it just looks like the S60 is over priced. If you price the S60 $14,500 below the S85, you get to $66,500. At that price, I think S60 could get some real attention. Additionally, after the $7500 federal tax break, you're looking at the attractive net price of $59,000. But let's follow through what my toy pricing model would imply: S60 at $62,500 and S85 at $77,000.

So I wonder how people would react if unveiling the D and another thing turns out to be Dual Motor option for $10,000 and we're lowering the S60 to $62,500, S85 to $77,000, and by the way the P85D goes 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. I think orders would explode and the uptake of D would be huge, 50% or more. Heck, they might even have to launch a new auto factory just to keep up. Ah, we can dream!

jhm: Why does TM have to tap into the demand for the model E when it appears they can not make the cars fast enough to satisfy demand for their current product(s)? I can see if they were demand constrained and needed new avenues for sales/revenues.

An aside: TM is already above the 1000k/week run rate and on the way to exiting this year over 1,500/wk. My source for this is NOT published but from someone who took a factory tour a couple weeks ago when they ramped up for end of Q3 deliveries.

That is very interesting info, AlMc...

I also have a very reliable unpublished information that TM was planning to take operation of their body-in-white assembly line to a 7/24 schedule for the next 6 months, i.e. until the time the new body-in-white line is put into operation to match the capacity of the new final assembly line (2500 cars/week).

My take on this is that current capacity of the body-in-white line is 400 cars/shift/week, while final assembly line can produce 1250 cars/shift/week (2500 cars/week with two shift operation). So if TM can operate body-in-in white area say 3 shifts Mon through Friday, and then 2 shifts Sat, Sun, or 19 shifts per week - the resulting production will be 19 x 80 = 1520 cars/week.

I am not sure what is production of other major areas at the plant, such as drivetrains and battery packs, but combining your information with mine, I am fairly confident that TM probably made appropriate plans to meet this 1500 car/week production goal.

That is very interesting info, AlMc...

I also have a very reliable unpublished information that TM was planning to take operation of their body-in-white assembly line to a 7/24 schedule for the next 6 months, i.e. until the time the new body-in-white line is put into operation to match the capacity of the new final assembly line (2500 cars/week).

My take on this is that current capacity of the body-in-white line is 400 cars/shift/week, while final assembly line can produce 1250 cars/shift/week (2500 cars/week with two shift operation). So if TM can operate body-in-in white area say 3 shifts Mon through Friday, and then 2 shifts Sat, Sun, or 19 shifts per week - the resulting production will be 19 x 80 = 1520 cars/week.

I am not sure what is production of other major areas at the plant, such as drivetrains and battery packs, but combining your information with mine, I am fairly confident that TM probably made appropriate plans to meet this 1500 car/week production goal.

Run rate at/above 1,000K/week now: Also, even if anyone's sources are incorrect, TM needs to deliver 13,000 cars this quarter to make guidance. Unless they are able to empty the existing pipeline, they must produce at least 13,000 cars, or 1,000/wk at a minimum. Yes, I realize one could argue they have to average 1,000/wk but they have holidays to contend with so I believe (hope) that the run rate is at 1K/week now, and will be closer to 1,500/wk leaving the quarter.

I could be wrong and have been wrong before ( ex: Q3 2013 when I was trying to correlate VIN assignments with production numbers) so do not place $$$ bets on these assertions which I feel are good but may turn out to be over optimistic.

I personally know someone too whom took a factory tour last week and he told me their run rate was 1000/wk.

So now we have three unrelated sources that have confirmed 1000/wk (possibly +) before Q4 started. That's 11k for the quarter if they take the holidays off. IIRC they take off the first two weeks in January which will give them a full 13 weeks.

I love hearing they are on their way to 1500/wk by year end. I think the interesting is question is not why, but how. The "why" is to delight customers and to accelerate cash flow. The "how" may very well be to ramp production to 1500/wk by end of 2014 and to 3000/wk by end of 2015 and to reduce the price on the S60 by $4000 by mid 2015.

The basic question is how to make the Model S more attractive and available to customers waiting for the Model 3.

* How about a free Model 3 reservation with the purchase of a new Model S? Yes, and this is how you get a reservation before reservations go online.

* How about a special Model S lease that favorably terminates when you elect to buy or lease a new Model 3 or any other Tesla vehicle? I'd think a lot of folks would just keep their Model S or upgrade. No worries either way.

* How about an Tesla affinity savings accounts in a bank that pays 4% interest as Tesla Reward Dollars redeemable on Tesla products and services? The balance is lent to Tesla at 25 bps to fund expansion, and the balances qualify as deposits for vehicle orders and reservations. Money may be deposited or withdrawn at any time like a traditional bank savings account. So this is a variation on crowd sourcing to provide cheap financing to Tesla and develop customer loyalty. Partnering with a bank provides more transactional options than an ordinary customer deposit and FDIC insurance. Customer gets reward interest worth more than is commonly available in any bank savings account. Tesla is not exposed to paying the 4% reward interest until a product is purchase, so cash flow is quite nice. Bank also covers liquidity risk to Tesla. Bank earns a 25 pbs servicing fee and has opportunities to build relationship with customer, perhaps extending to providing the loan on the customer's Tesla purchase. Bank is not exposed to interest rate risk or non-operating balance liquidity coverage requirements. Everybody wins. (Yes, I work in banking.)

So let's brainstorm folks. There's got to be more ways to tap into Model 3 demand in waiting.

jhm: You have great posts and ideas. My basic question is: Why do we have to make a car (model S, and in the future, the modelX) more attractive to potential model 3 purchasers when TM can not, in the near term, (1-2 years), make them fast enough to supply worldwide demand? TM has not needed to advertise and is trying to get people to buy the S instead of having a long wait for an X.

Your points/ideas are great, if TM was demand constrained, or near being demand constrained.

Status
Not open for further replies.