Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like this rise due to apple rumour.

The rumor is that Apple more or less thought about buying out tesla a year ago. Obviously the plan either didn't work out or won't happen anytime soon so whether the rumor is true or not, does it really matter? Or do we think people are reading into it more? It looks like that is more or less the only thing the people on stocktwits are talking about so it does bother me a little bit as well...

The rumor is that Apple more or less thought about buying out tesla a year ago. Obviously the plan either didn't work out or won't happen anytime soon so whether the rumor is true or not, does it really matter? Or do we think people are reading into it more? It looks like that is more or less the only thing the people on stocktwits are talking about so it does bother me a little bit as well...

i think this rumor scares a lot of shorts out, hence the rise in price...they know that there is a pretty high floor in the TSLA stock price if AAPL has or is considered/ing buying them. This ends the shorts dreams of TSLA going down well below 100 that many of them so vehemently thought would eventually happen.

i think this rumor scares a lot of shorts out, hence the rise in price...they know that there is a pretty high floor in the TSLA stock price if AAPL has or is considered/ing buying them. This ends the shorts dreams of TSLA going down well below 100 that many of them so vehemently thought would eventually happen.

In that case let it raise the stock price!

I am not sure how much can be read into the trading in Frankfurt, since it is low volume (7,645). Having said that, the price in Frankfurt hit 150.30 euros ($205.91).

I feel that steady push up after the Detroit Auto show announcement is partly because of the orderly exit of smart shorts. I think that we might be on a verge of panic covering by the short sellers as they discover that light at the end of the tunnel is just a white paint splashed over bedrock.

Yeah, honestly I don't think the apple rumors are bad At all. It gives more credibility to the stock price by reaffirming the future growth that could (read 'will') happen. People see the meteoric rise that Apple went through and if Apple is associating with Tesla that fairy tale becomes a little bit more realistic. Shorts don't want to be in the path of that train. "If Apple can see its potential the so should you," sorta thing; it brings strength by association.

AIMc: which chart? Post it.

Theshadows: RSI is a reversal indicator. Play with the time period untilthe 70/30 or the 80/20 level consistently indicates good enough # of points when reversal happens. What constitutes reversal depends on each person cause each person plays different time frames. ex, I do monthlies while most of the people on this forum do weeklies.

This chart, posted earlier

- - - Updated - - -

Theshadows: RSI is a reversal indicator. Play with the time period untilthe 70/30 or the 80/20 level consistently indicates good enough # of points when reversal happens. What constitutes reversal depends on each person cause each person plays different time frames. ex, I do monthlies while most of the people on this forum do weeklies.

here it is. It is the attachment

This chart, posted earlier

- - - Updated - - -

here it is. It is the attachment

Not very confident of the rsi wilder with 14 days as a top reversal indicator. It is however a solid one when tesla bottomed. Especially since it bumped into the red line, which looks like ema 200. I remember that the fibs 50% was also touched that day. 3 Strong TA signals that came true. But rsi @ 14days is a pretty bad indicator of tsla topping out as can be seen previously.

Not very confident of the rsi wilder with 14 days as a top reversal indicator. It is however a solid one when tesla bottomed. Especially since it bumped into the red line, which looks like ema 200. I remember that the fibs 50% was also touched that day. 3 Strong TA signals that came true. But rsi @ 14days is a pretty bad indicator of tsla topping out as can be seen previously.

Thanks. I am not a 'chartist' but I am trying to learn more to see if it supports or does not support my conjectures.

Q3 ER vs. Q4 ER
The similarities are numerous between the lead-in to Tesla's 3rd Quarter earnings report vs. it's 4th Quarter earnings report. In both cases, the stock was trading in the 190s, close to its ATH. In both cases, expectations were high regarding the contents of the report. How will the market behave when the news comes out on Wednesday? Will we see a drop in share prices because those expectations weren't met or will we see Tesla climb higher? Here are some thoughts:

The negative:
* Tesla has already released 4Q deliveries of 6,900 vehicles, which has already been factored into the stock price. Savy investors likely have seen this level of output favoring Tesla's achieving a 25% Gross Margin and factored that in, too. GM would need to exceed 25% for the reaction to be positive.
* Elon has a tendency to underpromise and overdeliver. If expected performance for 2014 is understated too much, investors will be disappointed.
* We saw a big drop in stock price right after 3Q results. Those results were rather respectable, too. Many investors are spring-loaded to the "sell" position if 4Q results and guidance doesn't show something very positive.
* Model X could reduce Model S demand during 2014 in some markets as buyers wait for the SUV offering rather than buying the sedan.

The positive:
* It's all about 2014 guidance and Tesla looks like demand and production ability should allow a sizable increase in production.
* Much has improved at the company in one quarter. Output is up, Gross Margin is likely up as well, Model X is closer to release.
* China, China, China. Suddenly we see a market that could rival North America open up for 2014. If guidance accurately reflects this potential, and if Tesla is able to ratchet up production to better match the demand, investor reaction will be positive.
* Superchargers are now more widespread than in Q3. More superchargers equates to more potential buyers regarding Tesla as a long-range vehicle, not just a city or commuter car. Coast to coast record run by the two Teslas this past month showed this car is reliable for long-distance driving in bad weather.
* Potential of big announcements: Gigafactory or hint that highway safety board will give green light soon.
* No major fire issue: The downturn from Q3 results was hit hard by the Tennessee fire shortly afterwards, which prompted a highway safety investigation. We've gone through a quarter without any repeats of such incidents. The Toronto garage fire did not involve the big battery or the charging system. If there is an issue with Tesla S that caused the Toronto garage fire, it should not be a big deal to fix.

My prediction? Volatility!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.