Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent dig, 32no! Didn't Elon say during the ER that MX beta will be ready couple months after the alpha, and alpha was ready a week after the ER? If true this means that MX beta should be ready in the first or second week of October.

Last edited:
Excellent dig, 32no! Didn't Elon say during the ER that MX beta will be ready couple months after the alpha, and alpha was ready a week after the ER? If true this means that MX beta should be ready in the first or second week of October.

Musk said within three months, but I still think it will be in October, maybe late October.
"So it's really a very advanced alpha car that we're producing through the X. And we'll move to beta within three months. So it's a real fast alpha to beta. And you can expect to see production cost, not in customer hands but kind of on the road, doing test and validation in Q1 next year. We'll have quite a few of those."

Musk also said that Model X will ramp to 400 cars/week in 3 months vs. 6 months for the S.
"Model S had a long production slope, starting off very slowly and then taking kind of six months to reach the 400 unit per week level. In the case of the X, I mean we're going to try to move to sort of several hundred units a week within three months of production."

Also, during the recent interview with Fox, Musk said that Model X production will be 15k-20k. Even with the faster ramp, (~2500 units in first quarter of production at average 200 cars/week, ~7500 in the second quarter of production at average 600 cars/week, and that still leaves 5000 cars even at an extremely fast ramp speed) Tesla will have to start delivering the very first day of Q2 at the latest in order to get to that number.

He's not selling 9% of his shares AFAI, this is normal options vesting.

Tesla Motors - Statement of Changes of Beneficial Ownership

OK, I read it carefully this time, and I almost understand it. I see the "derivative shares" being disposed of (that's the options), followed by the same number of "non-derivative shares" (common stock) being acquired. I would interpret that as exercising the options (which were nearing expiration). Following the tables, there's an explanation showing the conditions under which the options are vested. It says vesting completed in 2010, so I didn't quite see it the way you did. Am I still missing something, or was your explanation just a little imprecise?

Next time my sources give me info like this, I'll have to actually read it :) Source has been sent to bed without TV :wink:

Thanks 32no for a much detailed information. I would say this time around, Tesla would want as much less time possible between beta release and production start as they manage investors expectations on a quarterly bases. If there is a big gap between, many may jump to get X and Tesla may face model s slump for a very short period.

Thanks 32no for a much detailed information. I would say this time around, Tesla would want as much less time possible between beta release and production start as they manage investors expectations on a quarterly bases. If there is a big gap between, many may jump to get X and Tesla may face model s slump for a very short period.

...unless there is Model S AWD reveal sometime within the gap.

The WSJ article recently talked about Elon quoting significant product news in the works and that Tesla is not working on anything beyond Model X and 3rd gen vehicle. This could be Model S AWD. Complete speculation on my part.

pGo,
I'm going to speculate that there's something bigger than Model S AWD in the works. Elon has taken on a veil of secrecy on this particular project, and I just don't see Model S AWD requiring this level of hush hush. Besides, we've already been told that Model S AWD is coming. That said, I agree that introducing Model S AWD during the possible lull time between Model X reveal and Model X production would be a great move for Tesla to make.

One user who picked up his car today is reporting that they are working 7 days a week to get out as many cars as possible until the end of the quarter:

benemac on Model S delivery update said:

[...] Don't give up hope. We hear they're all working 7 days a week. Might be the reason why our production was 4 days, but who knows if the dashboard was updated properly. They're trying to deliver as many cars as they can before Sept 30th. [...]

Model S delivery update

How often is institutional ownership information updated? Does anyone know where I can find a chart that shows changes in institutional ownership on a weekly/monthly basis? Just realized institutional ownership is at an all time low. Solar City is down to 35 percent, and Tesla is down to 55 percent.

Last edited:
One user who picked up his car today is reporting that they are working 7 days a week to get out as many cars as possible until the end of the quarter:

Model S delivery update

One small data point: My neighbor purchased a Cobra in California and had it shipped here (Delaware). On the transport were 7 other cars: all model Ss headed for Devon for delivery.

How often is institutional ownership information updated? Does anyone know where I can find a chart that shows changes in institutional ownership on a weekly/monthly basis? Just realized institutional ownership is at an all time low. Solar City is down to 35 percent, and Tesla is down to 55 percent.

Morningstar is a good source however, I don't think you will find an ownership change on a weekly basis. It will be difficult for monthly basis.

http://investors.morningstar.com/ow...SLA&region=usa&culture=en-US&ownerCountry=USA

I think the bottomline is, as Elon hinted, we'll meet Q3 guidance. It would be nice to see some beating because the expectation is set low IMO, so it won't be a surprise to see that. Met with Q3 guidance plus huge (13K+) Q4 guidance in early Nov., so we should expect a end of year rally given the marco market is stable.

So this seems confirmed - next question:
Is this a good thing (many cars delivered, beating expectations)
or a bad thing (they are way behind and trying everything to make it)?!

BTW: What is NDEW? Not what google tells me...

Status
Not open for further replies.