Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my take on the channel. The channel is about 25 points wide and moves about 25 points per month or approximately one point per day. Currently it is 175 on the low end and 200 on the high side. This last dip (the fire sale), fits nicely with 5/8, 7/16 and 10/3 daily closes to draw the lower line. I find this to be truly amazing! It has maintained a steep slope channel for 5 months! This is a 300/year pace! Tsla is incredible. Elon is a Genius!! Do you think Elon could be managing to the channel? Warns us near the top and provides positive input near the bottom? Earnings call is one month away so the channel will be around 200 - 225 at that time. It would be nice to be near the low end of the channel so a 10% pop would take us right up to the top of the channel.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements

Kevin,
Any ideas on what a good time to sell those Oct $180s and $190s I mentioned a few pages back?
Not sure!

- - - Updated - - -

I mean I am too focus on my play and hard to give a different thought. You see I am selling Oct2 $190 call, but that is for hedging purpose.
My oct2 $180 call is doing great, continue from last week's $170.

Last edited:
Kevin,
Any ideas on what a good time to sell those Oct $180s and $190s I mentioned a few pages back?

Knowing when to sell your options (especially OTM options like you have) is the hardest part of options trading. Nobody can tell you when the best time to sell is.

When you buy an option, you have to have a strategy in mind and especially an exit strategy. Then you have to stay disciplined and stick to your strategy no matter what. If you bought options without an exit strategy then chances are that you will lose money. You might get lucky this time, but you have to have a plan to be successful over the long run.

They upgraded from $160 to $210 (look 2 pages back for the post)

- - - Updated - - -

Knowing when to sell your options (especially OTM options like you have) is the hardest part of options trading. Nobody can tell you when the best time to sell is.

When you buy an option, you have to have a strategy in mind and especially an exit strategy. Then you have to stay disciplined and stick to your strategy no matter what. If you bought options without an exit strategy then chances are that you will lose money. You might get lucky this time, but you have to have a plan to be successful over the long run.
I'm afraid of being too greedy, but in the past whenever I have sold, its always been too early. I have achieved a much calmer state of mind by selling but as a result missed out on huge sums of money so trying to get to that good balance..

Well I'm happy with my delayed constructs :) I bought a Oct 11th 175 call when Tesla was around $169 and today sold for a few cents higher price the Oct 11th 185 call so risk free up to 1k. Also bought some November $190 calls during the dip and sold already one $200 for a delayed construct that is above what I paid for the $190, now riding other one to see if I can make it a $190-$205 risk free spread). This makes for three call spreads that have zero risk and at least $1000 return each, which for a $30k portfolio is pretty nice :D

I'm afraid of being too greedy, but in the past whenever I have sold, its always been too early. I have achieved a much calmer state of mind by selling but as a result missed out on huge sums of money so trying to get to that good balance..

That is why I hedged. Like Mario's "delayed constructs", I have both Oct2 $180 and $185. By selling Oct2 $190, I am close to risk free why keeping for upside. The ideal sweet spot is $190 by Friday. However I don't really care that much as I have no control over. I just feel comfortable that it will stay in or above $180s range.

They upgraded from $160 to $210 (look 2 pages back for the post)

- - - Updated - - -

You should be doing the same strategy that Kevin and Mario (which I do all the time) are doing here. Delayed construct spreads to lock in some profit (and/or reduce capital at risk) and still leave room for more profit potential.

I *really* feel like buying some November calls today to capitalize on earnings run-up over next month, as I don't own any yet, planning to sell if in or near the money post-earnings for a respectable but not astronomical profit. What do you guys think about this strategy? :)

I *really* feel like buying some November calls today to capitalize on earnings run-up over next month, as I don't own any yet, planning to sell if in or near the money post-earnings for a respectable but not astronomical profit. What do you guys think about this strategy? :)

If you are disciplined then buy some way deep OTM Nov. or Dec. call options and sell them immediately before earnings announcement (or hedge them with higher strike calls). Say if you buy some $225s for $5 (or even higher strike price for very cheap), you might see them trading at $10 on the day of earnings if TSLA continues its steady climb to $200. You can then sell them before earnings to make your "respectable but not astronomical profit."

In order for this to work TSLA has to continue going up into earnings; otherwise you risk losing it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.