Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What an amazing run!

I'm still on vacation in Europe and did a check this afternoon (morning in NYC) and saw how well behaved TSLA has been. I had to sell a bit of my position going into earnings but holding strong the rest.

Will buy some options tomorrow perhaps...

This has been magical.
Nice to see you're still alive! Yeah, it's been crazy. I have to keep changing my game plan as the stock has been blowing away my expectations, just like the car did when I first drove it.

Nice to see you're still alive! Yeah, it's been crazy. I have to keep changing my game plan as the stock has been blowing away my expectations, just like the car did when I first drove it.

Yeah it's been crazy. Put here with so many obligations and a different timezone and just no ability to keep track of things! I know I'm in the black for the earnings call and felt I needed to take some off the table here and then let the rest just go on. Crazy vacation, crazy stock movements - no time to really do options.

Hope everyone here is making some cash and enjoying this bull!

Well I bought 5 contracts for August 9th $110 puts to protect my long term stock, they where .58 this morning, down to .48 currently.
Personally I hope they go to zero and I lose the ~$300 paid for them, I don't want the stock to drop, but I view it as cheap insurance in case it does.

Dear TSLA stock,

I see you just broke another ATH at $142.85. While I am very much appreciating the paper gains I have thanks to you, the 2Q13 earnings report is not until Wednesday after close and you are tempting me to sell some additional holdings. Please leave some overhead room the next couple days for a nice run after the report. k thanks.

Very Respectfully,
TSLA investor/speculator

Well I bought 5 contracts for August 9th $110 puts to protect my long term stock, they where .58 this morning, down to .48 currently.
Personally I hope they go to zero and I lose the ~$300 paid for them, I don't want the stock to drop, but I view it as cheap insurance in case it does.

Smart move. Insurance, especially after the gains we've had in the LAST FEW MONTHS(!!!!) is smart.

I see green after Wednesday but if not, some protection is nice.

New all-time intraday high, $142.85.

I'm concerned that we sped by the 130s too quickly. Only spent 5 days with closing in the 130s (compared to 13 days closing in the 120s, 6 days closing in the 110s, 16 days closing in the 100s, 13 days closing in the 90s).

Dear TSLA stock,

I see you just broke another ATH at $142.85. While I am very much appreciating the paper gains I have thanks to you, the 2Q13 earnings report is not until Wednesday after close and you are tempting me to sell some additional holdings. Please leave some overhead room the next couple days for a nice run after the report. k thanks.

Very Respectfully,
TSLA investor/speculator

Don't be a weak long!

New all-time intraday high, $142.85.

I'm concerned that we sped by the 130s too quickly. Only spent 5 days with closing in the 130s (compared to 13 days closing in the 120s, 6 days closing in the 110s, 16 days closing in the 100s, 13 days closing in the 90s).

Concerned? Why? It's all just numbers. Sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. Sometimes they go up or down in a hurry, sometimes slowly.

How many days did TSLA spend in the 20's? 30's? 40's? 50's? 60's? 70's? 80's? Is any of that statistical data relevant to how much time the stock spent in 130's?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't be a weak long!

How long must one hold a stock to be considered a long? Or do you get to hold that label simply because you've betting with the company rather than against it?

Don't be a weak long!

Yeah, I know. It's funny because I've been teetertottoring between buying more and selling (with an intent to buy back in ;) )...So right now I'm just not doing anything ;)

If TSLA Tuesday happens tomorrow as I'm thinking it might I'm definitely loading up, no questions asked. If it doesn't I'm thinking of selling my DEC calls and rolling them out to March calls. I'm actually really tempted to buy some DITM March calls on margin (with a few additional short term puts just in case things really don't go well). I may not make as much % wise on those calls as short term calls but margin helps leverage and if things don't go well the puts will soften the blow. I would also expect them to turn green again before March.

Part of me says I don't need to be risky anymore as I made enough to get my Model S but the other part of me says that a Model X would be really nice to own in addition to the Model S ;) Ahh! new ATH again...$143.43

Concerned? Why? It's all just numbers. Sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. Sometimes they go up or down in a hurry, sometimes slowly.
How many days did TSLA spend in the 20's? 30's? 40's? 50's? 60's? 70's? 80's? Is any of that statistical data relevant to how much time the stock spent in 130's?

It won't matter if Q2 earnings are blowout and we explode up to 160s and beyond.

But otherwise, it could matter how many days we spent in the 130s because the more days we spend in the 130s means there could be more resistance at those levels when/if the stock falls and provides a stronger floor for the stock. However, when the stock zooms past certain price points there's a greater chance it can revisit those price points in the future.

It won't matter if Q2 earnings are blowout and we explode up to 160s and beyond.

But otherwise, it could matter how many days we spent in the 130s because the more days we spend in the 130s means there could be more resistance at those levels when/if the stock falls and provides a stronger floor for the stock. However, when the stock zooms past certain price points there's a greater chance it can revisit those price points in the future.

I would argue "area under the voluma curve" in the 130-140 interval is more imporant than number of days in that interval, otherwise agree with your reasoning. Moving very fast through an interval enhances volatility as we could quickly fall through that intervall again on the way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.