Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked by the new Roadster rolling out of the Tesla Semi!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd have to admit, I've seen so many vids of people crashing supercars that are much much slower.
I think this car should be limited to 0-60 in 3 seconds or so when it isn't on a track.
Imagine you have to park this car into a small parking spot, it will be mission impossible, any gentle touch will push your car 5 meters to the front in a split of a second.
It should at least have an option to drive much much much slower.
At this moment any 16 year old with a drivers license could basically jump in legally.

The current legal laws simply aren't ready for cars like this.
I know for a fact that in the Netherlands any 1 year old is allowed to sit on the back of a motor, as long as he carries a helmet it's legal to do so. In reality somehow putting a helmet on a 1 year old baby will pretty much already break it's neck because the helmet alone is already too heavy.

any gentle touch will push your car 5 meters to the front in a split of a second.

I don't see why. That doesn't happen in the current P-models. I see folk saying they use Creep because it makes parking easier, so there is that too ... but I'm a Brit and we don't typically use Creep, so its off on my car and I can inch forward, using throttle pedal, very very easily.

At this moment any 16 year old with a drivers license could basically jump in legally.

Yeah, any 16 year old with a $quarter-mill

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak
I don't see why. That doesn't happen in the current P-models. I see folk saying they use Creep because it makes parking easier, so there is that too ... but I'm a Brit and we don't typically use Creep, so its off on my car and I can inch forward, using throttle pedal, very very easily.

Yeah, any 16 year old with a $quarter-mill
I never drove any Tesla before TBH, I'm just a fanboy atm, but the numbers amaze me and I'm confident there are quite some grannies out there that will get a heart attack as soon as I drive 0-60 in 2 seconds while she doesn't expect it.

No, not the 16 year old itself, but daddy might have. There have been 18 year olds crashing Tesla's into houses already.

there are quite some grannies out there that will get a heart attack as soon as I drive 0-60 in 2 seconds while she doesn't expect it

That problem, albeit less severe, exists now. I've had passengers, fully aware I was stopped in order to demo a launch, screaming "Stop" ... obscenities are common too! But even when I hop out onto a roundabout, because with Tesla I can take-that-gap, then usually my passenger is not expecting it, and they are definitely not happy ... plus all the contents of the cabin wind up in the trunk! I have Performance mode turned off for normal driving for that reason (car is still plenty quick enough ...)

There have been 18 year olds crashing Tesla's into houses already

Sure, But that's not a problem limited to Tesla. If Daddy has a Supercar and the kids take it for a joy ride then to my mind that's an issue with the way the kids were raised. My kids, at the least, know better than to behave like that :)

That problem, albeit less severe, exists now. I've had passengers, fully aware I was stopped in order to demo a launch, screaming "Stop" ... obscenities are common too! But even when I hop out onto a roundabout, because with Tesla I can take-that-gap, then usually my passenger is not expecting it, and they are definitely not happy ... plus all the contents of the cabin wind up in the trunk! I have Performance mode turned off for normal driving for that reason (car is still plenty quick enough ...)

Sure, But that's not a problem limited to Tesla. If Daddy has a Supercar and the kids take it for a joy ride then to my mind that's an issue with the way the kids were raised. My kids, at the least, know better than to behave like that :)
This sounds to me like giving a kid some candy and tell them not to eat it... Ofcourse 99% of the kids listen, but that 1% can still crash into quite some houses. And it's not just kids, I genuinly think the governments should require special drivers licenses for cars that can do 0-60 in less then 4 seconds or can drive over 150 miles an hour.

I'm questioning whether the 200kWh is in there NOW.

They're not going to design the car twice. That's just silly. And that is what it would require. There is literally no reason to expect this to be less than a 200kWh pack. 200kWh fits fine, is not overly heavy (bit over 1 tonne), not overly voluminous (0,4m³), they're not going to reengineer the vehicle, and they need the power.

It is a 200kWh pack.

They're not going to design the car twice. That's just silly. And that is what it would require. There is literally no reason to expect this to be less than a 200kWh pack. 200kWh fits fine, is not overly heavy (bit over 1 tonne), not overly voluminous (0,4m³), they're not going to reengineer the vehicle, and they need the power.

It is a 200kWh pack.
They made the car. They made space for a pack. A decent mechanic can shove any cells in there for a prototype.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
The pack is made out of modules, 8 of them per pack.
They need not be put into one flat pack. I bet roadsters pack looks more like bolt's pack i.e. multiple heights:
leaf-battery.jpg

No reason? Yes, reason - to get 0-60 in 1,9 seconds, obviously :)

This pack does not have to fit in the wheelbase. It was designed for a large pack, so they're not going to constrain themselves like that.
1.9 can probably be achieved with less than 200kWh (even using Tesla's rather slow discharge cells), certainly if the car is kept much lighter than a Model S. And to make a car that's not terrible with such a big capacity pack may require some advances in cell or packaging technology.

For a car weighing 4400 pounds to reach 60 in 1.9s, it has to output 389 kW on average during those 1.9 s.
Because power increases proportionally with speed, that means at 0 mph the output power is 0, and at 60 it will be 780kW.
780 kW can easily come out of 200kWh pack, but not out of 100kWh one.

The writing is on the wall . that is 200kWh multi-layer battery pack. No frunk, very little (if any) trunk. Awful rear seating (position and headroom). Yes, one could pull those tricks with M3 but the result would suck, only children could seat in the back, the price would be * 2, efficiency much lower etc. Bad product.

No reason? Yes, reason - to get 0-60 in 1,9 seconds, obviously :)

They don't need a 200kWh pack to get 0-60 in1.9 seconds, as I've explained previously.

This pack does not have to fit in the wheelbase. It was designed for a large pack, so they're not going to constrain themselves like that.

Extending the pack beyond the wheelbase is asking for serious pack intrusion during collisions, really bad idea. No serious OEM is putting cells outside of the wheelbase. Considering Tesla's history with combustion events I doubt they would do so.