Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gruber Roadster shocks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was going to do the InoKinetic nitrons a while back but never got around to it. Recently got the mailer from Gruber on their new inTrax Roadster shocks. Just curious if anyone here tried them? Any feedback?

I found a local shop that's familiar with the Roadster, but still runs the risk of them not properly keeping the car plugged in and bricking it. Just want to assess my risk vs reward.

thoughts?

I am not a "shocks person" either, so I can't say much about how they work. The standard shocks on the sport model have these external reservoir cylinders on the front. So regarding your second question, here you can see how these standard shocks are mounted:
DSC_0912.JPG

DSC_0913.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses
Thanks, very clear.

Now, if one orders the Gruber set intending to install them on a 1.5 or 2.0, are the clamps provided, and are there mounting holes already present in the frame? Or do we need to find our own and drill holes?

thanks for bringing up the reservoir. I didn't even think about that. I guess mine is a 2.0 sport, the bracket should already be there for an easy swap.
Thanks for the input on the Nitrons. This makes swapping the shocks more enticing.
I know these just came out, but I was hoping someone here that had help with testing these during development or went with these to chime in about their experiences...

thanks for bringing up the reservoir. I didn't even think about that. I guess mine is a 2.0 sport, the bracket should already be there for an easy swap.
Thanks for the input on the Nitrons. This makes swapping the shocks more enticing.
I know these just came out, but I was hoping someone here that had help with testing these during development or went with these to chime in about their experiences...
I’ve not ridden in a car with Gruber shocks. They look legit.

For years, Nitrons were about the only new option for aftermarket roadster shocks. Recently, I’ve ridden in a car with medlock and Sons’, @CM_007, Penske shocks and they were a big improvement over my OEM sport setup. Penske shocks has a premium for their “race ready” pedigreed and I would paid for them when I’m ready to replace mine. I know others on TMC have the Penske installed.
I think Jamison‘s shop near you have Carl’s Penske shocks.

I knew these shocks were coming out because they tried to go behind my back and contacted my supplier multiple times to sell directly to them and not buy through me.

A few months later a local customer of ours sold their car to a person in Florida, and that person sent his car to another place where they told me the shocks leaked after 250 miles and must be replaced. Per the text messages and emails I was forwarded by the car's owner, our shocks were removed and sent to a suspension shop and put on a dyno to be evaluated; I suspect they did this to get our spring rates and valving data, all things I paid a lot of money to get right. What a surprise there is now a shock offered for less. The retail of these is $1100 less than my cost. After pushing back on the hard upsell of the need for new shocks because they were leaking, it was disclosed to the client the shocks were not leaking as this was just assembly lube from when we assembled them. I have all of the emails and text messages from the Florida guy to back these comments up. The man was so discouraged over this, that he took a $40,000 loss on the car and sold it. Owned it for less than 90 days.

Our shock and spring setup quality is far superior to these; I can give you a dozen reasons why, but what irritates me is that we paid $20,000 to have them developed by a Lotus race team supplier. Anyone driving our shocks will tell you their roadster drives better than ever. I would put our top-quality parts against these and see who lasts the longest. Which car handles better, corners better, and has a more comfortable ride?

It is the same situation with our American-made Carbon parts and other parts we have made. We sold zero carbon online after the cheaper carbon parts hit his page for half my cost: nothing, zip, nada. There is zero incentive for me to keep making parts for your Roadsters when, as soon as someone offers them all for less, you buy them and don't buy from us. This is happening with every single part we make. I guess most of you have forgotten how many before me took your money and produced nothing. We are the first to keep our word and make parts for these cars.

Many parts need to be made for the longevity of these cars; why can't they make other parts and not copy us? I'll answer this myself. Because I know what I am doing, and I developed most of the upgrades for these cars when they were new. I don't need to copy anyone; I was the last editor of the Roadster shop manual. Tesla did not sell me parts for eight years, but I survived; again, I know the cars and all the original suppliers—those who don't know copy.

You don't see me making podcasts and videos bragging about our 30 million dollar portfolio; you see us working hard to save roadsters from the scrap yards. we put most of our profits back into new parts and sometimes we barely make payroll. We are a small four-person family business that has not wrecked, damaged, or destroyed 60 roadsters; we save them if possible.

But as business goes, the guy with the most money eventually wins, and we will be out of the roadster business. Cheers

I knew these shocks were coming out because they tried to go behind my back and contacted my supplier multiple times to sell directly to them and not buy through me.

A few months later a local customer of ours sold their car to a person in Florida, and that person sent his car to another place where they told me the shocks leaked after 250 miles and must be replaced. Per the text messages and emails I was forwarded by the car's owner, our shocks were removed and sent to a suspension shop and put on a dyno to be evaluated; I suspect they did this to get our spring rates and valving data, all things I paid a lot of money to get right. What a surprise there is now a shock offered for less. The retail of these is $1100 less than my cost. After pushing back on the hard upsell of the need for new shocks because they were leaking, it was disclosed to the client the shocks were not leaking as this was just assembly lube from when we assembled them. I have all of the emails and text messages from the Florida guy to back these comments up. The man was so discouraged over this, that he took a $40,000 loss on the car and sold it. Owned it for less than 90 days.

Our shock and spring setup quality is far superior to these; I can give you a dozen reasons why, but what irritates me is that we paid $20,000 to have them developed by a Lotus race team supplier. Anyone driving our shocks will tell you their roadster drives better than ever. I would put our top-quality parts against these and see who lasts the longest. Which car handles better, corners better, and has a more comfortable ride?

It is the same situation with our American-made Carbon parts and other parts we have made. We sold zero carbon online after the cheaper carbon parts hit his page for half my cost: nothing, zip, nada. There is zero incentive for me to keep making parts for your Roadsters when, as soon as someone offers them all for less, you buy them and don't buy from us. This is happening with every single part we make. I guess most of you have forgotten how many before me took your money and produced nothing. We are the first to keep our word and make parts for these cars.

Many parts need to be made for the longevity of these cars; why can't they make other parts and not copy us? I'll answer this myself. Because I know what I am doing, and I developed most of the upgrades for these cars when they were new. I don't need to copy anyone; I was the last editor of the Roadster shop manual. Tesla did not sell me parts for eight years, but I survived; again, I know the cars and all the original suppliers—those who don't know copy.

You don't see me making podcasts and videos bragging about our 30 million dollar portfolio; you see us working hard to save roadsters from the scrap yards. we put most of our profits back into new parts and sometimes we barely make payroll. We are a small four-person family business that has not wrecked, damaged, or destroyed 60 roadsters; we save them if possible.

But as business goes, the guy with the most money eventually wins, and we will be out of the roadster business. Cheers
Plus, your shop didn’t torch all those Roadsters.

Just Sayin, . . . .

Reactions: Medlock&Sons
To be fair, Intrax shocks have been available for the roadster for well over 5 years. The 550/700 spring combo is well known.
I will say that the cost of the intrax units direct from the factory was more than the price I see them for sale, which leads me to wondering if they are the outlet version of intrax. I’m yet to find the time to chat with Donald about them. But if they are the same version I wouldn’t go bashing them, they are great shocks with a fine pedigree. The 2 different shocks on the street, I’d have to be a hell of a driver to make use it either of them.

Intrax has been making shocks for 50 years. Conrad Buck with Mars Orbiter in Germany, a well respected Roadster service organization, originally helped them develop a shock package for the Roadster.

Our suspension master mechanic with 12 years experience with exotic car suspension is further dialing in Roadster suspension improvements including having our machine shop creating more robust shock mounting brackets, and a better gas canister braided hose exit for better clearance.

The reasons for a better price? Higher volume purchases, internal fully equipped machine shop, and a commitment to the Roadster community and Tesla to apply reasonable markups to parts.

This Intrax video will tell you the rest of the story:

To be fair, Intrax shocks have been available for the roadster for well over 5 years. The 550/700 spring combo is well known.
I will say that the cost of the intrax units direct from the factory was more than the price I see them for sale, which leads me to wondering if they are the outlet version of intrax. I’m yet to find the time to chat with Donald about them. But if they are the same version I wouldn’t go bashing them, they are great shocks with a fine pedigree. The 2 different shocks on the street, I’d have to be a hell of a driver to make use it either of them.
I have a car here with them and another vehicle with Nitron. What did Intrax use for data? What are the spring rates? What is the warranty? I drove all of them before I stepped up and did it correctly. The Nitron and Intrax are something I would use on a Miata. Feel free to fly here and drive all three. Did you ever do the suspension on 24 after underbidding me?

Intrax has been making shocks for 50 years. Conrad Buck with Mars Orbiter in Germany, a well respected Roadster service organization, originally helped them develop a shock package for the Roadster.

Our suspension master mechanic with 12 years experience with exotic car suspension is further dialing in Roadster suspension improvements including having our machine shop creating more robust shock mounting brackets, and a better gas canister braided hose exit for better clearance.

The reasons for a better price? Higher volume purchases, internal fully equipped machine shop, and a commitment to the Roadster community and Tesla to apply reasonable markups to parts.

This Intrax video will tell you the rest of the story:

• Love
Reactions: X.l.r.8
...my two cents here:

The dampers you can purchase from Gruber are the ones that we worked out with Intrax. Pete asked me if he could order those as well (there was nothing behind anybodies back).

Those dampers are designed extra for the higher weight of the roadster, as the original Bilstein dampers (both, base and sport !) are exactly the same dampers as in the Opel/Vauxhall Speedster, just with a much harder spring. Now you can think over it what makes more sense - have some dampers, wich are permanently working on the edge of their brakingpoint, overhauled - to have overhauled shocks on the edge of their braking point (our experiance is, that overhauled Bilsteins start that well known ratteling inside allready after a few hundred miles again) ? Or do you want shocks, designed for the Roadsters extra-weight ? the ambitioned driver may chose new designed shocks. not knowing Carl's worked out shocks at all, but i insinuate perfect working shocks, we in Germany have the "TÜV" - means technical check or roadworthy-check, wich won't allow you to mount any but officialy "engineer-proofed" parts on your car. as the Roadster's general homologation in Germany/Europe is for a "small series prototype", they didn't homologate the shocks themselfe, but the springs - so design a new damper for those was the best for us.

they are perfect, adjustable in 50 steps and give you best street-contact, even on track, with switched off TMC etc. I had a set of those in my Roadster for quite a while, cruising, speeding, ambitioned curving etc. In combination with a good overhauled suspension (means wishbone-bushings, kingpins etc. new) and the right setup, a Roadster will drive much, much better then when new (not knowing them, I insinuate Carl's shocks the same).

as for European owners who plan a swap: we now have them also for base-springs ;)

Reactions: eHorses