Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The term "dog mode" was first coined by Ryan McCaffrey on his 'Ride the lightning' podcast. It is not 'camper mode'. It concerns the "Cabin Overheat Prevention" that if enabled will keep the cabin temperature at 40C (105F) or below. Mr Musk did publicly state that come software v8.1 that would be adjustable. I've got v8.1 but I have no way to change that temperature which I think is way too high. Every year dogs and babies die because the absent minded owner forgets they have been left in a closed car in the sun, maybe they go to work and only discovers the death hours latter. Sure it's the owners fault but that won't restore life to a corpse. Just how long can a baby survive at 40C before it dies from a combination of heat stress and dehydration ? The press has been known to be unfair to Tesla in the past (car fires anyone) can you imagine what they could do with this ? Please give me adjustable temperature for Cabin Overheat Prevention as promised.
For those who might think Camper Mode is the same thing, it is not, that just allows one to maintain a constant cabin temperature while Cabin Overheat Prevention (provided the owner had enabled it one time) will always prevent the cabin temperature from going above a preset level, currently 40C and not adjustable.
Edit: Cabin Overheat Prevention ceases to function once the battery level falls to 20%.
The term 'dog mode' has been around for quite awhile. I'm not sure Ryan coined it, but he's certainly used it.

Camper Mode is enabled on the new software. It is adjustable and it is not Cabin Overheat Protection. It is user-configurable.

And yes, just like Overheat Protection, it quits working when the battery drops to 20%. I'd prefer that I be asked if I want to run the battery to brick mode, but I guess that would be inevitable anyway. In any case, I'd never leave the dogs with a low battery. Even with Camper Mode, I'm still checking climate constantly to make sure nothing has gone awry. And I only leave them when there is no other choice (like, say, a road trip).

To be clear I'm agreeing with @AmpedRealtor here.
Same planet. Got it! :)

Here is another aspect to consider (or let me keep digging the hole). Software updates can add and improve on features, but they can also diminish and break them as well. Some can be superficial (like/dislike) and some can be be quite disconcerting (oh look, my car now charges/goes slower/doesn't brake). Regardless, the idea was that Tesla as a Silicon Valley company would be quick to innovate and add value to the existing cars. Apparently we have a different concept of whether the current pace is quick enough.

Reactions: calisnow
Kinda related to the last post, have you guys done the latest update? Noticed my car ‘ping pongs’ in the lane more but my AEB warning came on for the first time ever. Which was neat. Wasn’t a close situation but atleast I know I have some more sensitivity with it with the new software. As well as it’s detecting a much wider lane on autopilot than it used to. Shows the full lane instead of just half.

For me, just seeing this update is all that would personally keep me happy every once in a while. Maybe a littler reminder every few weeks that; yes, they haven’t forgotten AP2.

It’s still no Enhanced Autopilot, but it’s nice to get a little bump.

This is what I mean when I first stated that we don’t want to feel as if our cars were forgotten.

Kinda related to the last post, have you guys done the latest update? Noticed my car ‘ping pongs’ in the lane more but my AEB warning came on for the first time ever. Which was neat. Wasn’t a close situation but atleast I know I have some more sensitivity with it with the new software. As well as it’s detecting a much wider lane on autopilot than it used to. Shows the full lane instead of just half.

For me, just seeing this update is all that would personally keep me happy every once in a while. Maybe a littler reminder every few weeks that; yes, they haven’t forgotten AP2.

It’s still no Enhanced Autopilot, but it’s nice to get a little bump.

This is what I mean when I first stated that we don’t want to feel as if our cars were forgotten.
It's helpful if you post the full firmware you have rather than use the phrase "latest update" because Tesla pushes out different updates at different times to different cars. At least try to say .34 or .40 or .42 etc. Helps us stay on the same page. I'm on .40.1 something. And ping ponging is gone for me.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I don't think it is fair to call anyone asking for updates entitled. Tesla sells the cars promising updates. OTA updates is one of the main "features" of the car. I have never heard anyone trying to sell the car not mentioning the ability of it to get better with time.

Not talking about any major annual update promise here, just saying it is fair to expect/ask for updates.

Reactions: Bebop and vdiv