Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rated range in Europe is based on the optimistic WLTP standard, which every manufacturer has to use.

Its OK to use to compare different BEVs but pretty damn worthless when it comes to estimating your real life range.

So recommendations:
1) Switch your battery display from distance to percentage.
2) Use the Navigator, and use the expected arrival percentage to help you judge whether or not to supercharge
3) Charge to 90% and try not to go below 15%

For trip planning, use abetterrouteplanner.com

I didn't know that going below 15% was bad for the battery, not that I do it often. I do normally use the expected arrival percentage and find it to creep up a few % as you get closer to the destination. Yesterday it did the opposite and continued to drop after I got out of the car. It was only something like 9 degrees C, so not exactly deepest midwinter...

Buying the largest Tesla, with the smallest battery, then driving 80 MPH in the Winter, skipping convenient Superchargers, then complaining about range is perhaps not being fair.

Owners need to make some intelligent choices when buying and again when driving long distances in Electric Vehicles.

Same with Petrol vehicles. If your trip computer says you have 300 miles of range, and you notice that due to driving conditions you are getting worse mileage than originally predicted, you will need to stop along the way to get some additional gasoline pumped into your tank.

All gas and electric vehicles may display miles to empty, but that is just an estimate...not a promise. They ALL have an *, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

The alternative suggestion to get a Range Rover is perhaps the one that gets the worst gas mileage at higher speeds, has the worst reputation for reliability and some of the quickest depreciation of all vehicles.

I don't think the 90 is the smallest battery pack, that would be the 75 on the X? I'm also not sure I would class 122 miles as very 'long distance'.

I expect my average speed for the journey was more like 60mph than 80. I've never driven an ICE where the fuel consumption would double in 9 degrees C at normal motorway speeds. For an electric vehicle to have its range halved in slightly cold weather would be inconvenient for a lot of people. I also don't know of many ICE's that couldn't do London, Bristol and back on less than a tank. I'm not expecting that from the X but to only just make it to Bristol is a bit nuts.

Range Rovers aren't all bad and they are lovely to sit in!

I didn't know that going below 15% was bad for the battery, not that I do it often. I do normally use the expected arrival percentage and find it to creep up a few % as you get closer to the destination. Yesterday it did the opposite and continued to drop after I got out of the car. It was only something like 9 degrees C, so not exactly deepest midwinter...

Going below 15% is mostly OK, its really just how much margin of error you want to leave in your trip planning.

For example: The SouthEast USA has Superchargers on the major highways at 100+ mile intervals, so I like to plan to arrive with 15% - 20% left in the battery in case something goes wrong. There's often no other intermediate charging options once you get on the Freeway.
But when driving around Florida, which has a much higher density of Superchargers, I'll usually plan on arriving with 8% - 10%, because I have options if using more battery than planned.

For example, yesterday we drove back home from Savannah. Started with 90% and arrived 180 miles later (and 2:40 driving time) at the Macon Supercharger with 18%, though the initial forecast was 13%. But we skipped the (new) Metter Supercharger, so if the forecast arrival percentage had started dropping, we'd have been able to stop there halfway for a quick top-up.

@CaptainTom

I have read the reviews on zap map regards the chargers at Cripps and they don't work very well and people complain of slow charging on those 2 SuCs. I drove down from Derby to Bath but stopping for a top up planning to stop there, but I decided to go 5min south of Cripps on the M5 to the next services as the SuC work great there.

Reactions: Roy W.
The rated range in Europe is based on the optimistic WLTP standard, which every manufacturer has to use.

Its OK to use to compare different BEVs but pretty damn worthless when it comes to estimating your real life range.

So recommendations:
1) Switch your battery display from distance to percentage.
2) Use the Navigator, and use the expected arrival percentage to help you judge whether or not to supercharge
3) Charge to 90% and try not to go below 15%

For trip planning, use abetterrouteplanner.com

Agree, if however your doing a long journey and its cold then I would consider 95% or even 100% if your getting on the motorway straight away

I drove 122 miles to Bristol (not in rush hour) to visit family. Quite a lot of the journey was through an average speed check (maybe 1/3rd) so I was limited to 50mph or so and when not restricted I drove at between 70-80mph (some on autopilot). When I arrived in Bristol the range was displayed as 38 miles range.

ABRP says London to Bristol even in our 75D X will give 30% buffer on arrival, so I suspect you ran into head wind which increased your consumption

A Better Routeplanner

We do a regular 160 mile trip from Leicester to Cardiff in our 75D, in winter we arrive with 10% roughly in summer 20% traveling at 70mph.

49375767067_1d81b7ac5b_b.jpg

Others have said it, but it's worth reiterating, switch to % view and if heading off your common routes a quick play in abetterroutplanner.com will take most of the pain away. It's especially important if you are doing a return trip and you can't charge at your destination.

A 15 minute top-up of a warmed battery at a working SC for a toilet stop and coffee will net me another 150 miles range (M3, not mX tho), drive 2 hours, charge for 30 mins and food to get back to 80-90%. On that pattern I can cover most of Europe. And supercharging a warm battery is a way better experience - taking a trip on a cool battery for charging has never got me over 80kw, but. On a fully heated battery I'll reliably take whatever the SC can offer (120 or 150 depending on location).

Do you know that superchargers are paired? A shared supply per 2 bays. If both 2a and 2b are in use, both cars get less power. Use every second bay for preference.

It needs a smidgen more planning, but once you've done it for the destination that's it done. And using the trip graph can give you the reassurance that you are hitting your numbers.

Finally, an updated raven X will decrease many of these annoyances with better range for the same battery class, faster charging and better autopilot (do the X's get HW3? Not my area of interest, sorry)

Finally, an updated raven X will decrease many of these annoyances with better range for the same battery class, faster charging and better autopilot (do the X's get HW3? Not my area of interest, sorry)

The OP has done barely 6K in 9 months, upgrade to a Raven would be around £30-40K+ in cost. Given the relative lack of distance covered that is a crazy amount to spend for a minor inconvenience.

There are 4 SC sites between London and Bristol on the M4, the UK is a tiny country, EVs work really well here providing you accept you will need to stop/charge when the weather is poor. For a work meetings time wasted charing may be difficult, but for family trips not really an issue.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I used to have a 75X, and sometimes charging was a small issue. Now I have a X100 Raven and charging us usually the last thing on my mind. The range is extraordinary. My bladder gives up far before the battery is a concern.

The new100X Raven cost the same as my old 75X due to new lower pricing. It comes with basic autopilot, metalllic paint, better interior, included HEPA Bio-Filter, faster computer system, better stereo, and a bunch of other improvements.

Buying a used one does not save enough money to offset all the new improvements. I was amazed at how much I got for my old 75X. It held resale value better than I expected. Also came with a new set of Section 179 depreciation plus fresh Federal, State and utility rebates.

Used buyers need to check out current costs of a new Tesla, compared to what you need to pay for a used one.

(Not sure how this works out in England though)

Used buyers need to check out current costs of a new Tesla, compared to what you need to pay for a used one.

(Not sure how this works out in England though)

I've done a roughly calculation for a 2017 car it will be around £40-45K assuming you get £50-55k for a used X. £40K will get you a brand new Model 3, if you have money to burn its fine, but for the sake of a charging stop on a not very regular trip its a lot of cash to drop.

UK Model X prices are also currently stupidly high, our 6 seater white leather X had an invoice price of £71k in 2017, current LR Raven with 6 seats and white leather is just £91k.

Last edited:
Buying the largest Tesla, with the smallest battery, then driving 80 MPH in the Winter, skipping convenient Superchargers, then complaining about range is perhaps not being fair.

90D was the biggest battery at the time when the car was made in 2017. Most people still don't understand EV range. You either have to own an EV AND live in a cold place or read a lot about EV online. OP just didn't do enough research before he bought the car.

Reactions: gangzoom
@CaptainTom Can you tell us what your Wh/mi was on that trip? If not, tell us what it is on this next trip. That will help us see what kind of efficiency you're getting. Maybe watch that number while driving with different heat settings. I find that the Wh/mi is exorbitant with the heat on, especially in the first stages of the trip. Typically will be be in the low 1,000s instead of 300s on a Model X.

90D was the biggest battery at the time when the car was made in 2017. Most people still don't understand EV range. You either have to own an EV AND live in a cold place or read a lot about EV online. OP just didn't do enough research before he bought the car.

How about manufacturers being clearer about the capabilities and limits of a car???
I watched a heap of videos and read the manual several times and looked at SC maps etc. Still waiting on 3 promised SC sites that Tesla marked as 'by end 2018' or that Tesla woudl change what they considered warranty items, reduce customer services etc...

Reactions: ChrisA70
Most people still don't understand EV range.

And I suspect the OP just doesn't want the faff of worrying about range/charging. I've done the trip OP has done in a 75D X with no issues, and as I've mentioned there are 4 Supercharger points all enrotue - its only a 120 mile trip. I cannot think of a less stressful stretch of the UK M-way network to travel on in any Tesla. There is also another 8 bay Supercharger site a few miles away from the 2 bay site the Op tried to use but was occupied.

OP is also frustrated by AP, and build quality.

Put it simply they aren't enjoying the car for various reasons, and surely in that situation the best advice is to get rid ASAP, as their X is still just within warranty and the longer they wait to sell up the lower the price they will get for the car.

• Disagree
I used to have a 75X, and sometimes charging was a small issue. Now I have a X100 Raven and charging us usually the last thing on my mind. The range is extraordinary.
The new100X Raven cost the same as my old 75X due to new lower pricing. It comes with basic autopilot, metalllic paint, better interior, included HEPA Bio-Filter, faster computer system, better stereo, and a bunch of other improvements.
This is an important post. The OP has a very reasonable bunch of complaints, some are about quality (which is getting better all the time- in my opinion, it is now on par with most reasonable cars, a sniff below the best eg Audi), some are about the fitness of the car for his / her needs (range, charging rates). If the OP had bought a NEW 100D, I think their would be no problems and no complaints.
My point is: new, big-battery Teslas are expensive, but they are fabulous, and if you get the right one, may be EXACTLY what you need. Some (like the OP's 75) just aren't the right car at the time....

My point is: new, big-battery Teslas are expensive, but they are fabulous, and if you get the right one, may be EXACTLY what you need. Some (like the OP's 75) just aren't the right car at the time....

Spending more money appears to be the default answer to alot of things. But in the real world not everyone is lucky enough to have the spending power of many TMC forum members.

The price of new Model X in the UK is £91k that's nearly 3 times the average pre tax salary in the UK.

Even if you assume the OP does this trip every month, the cost of change been £40k, they than kept the new car for another 8 year doing one trip a month, that essentially means they will have paid a premium of £500 per trip for the sake of having to charge up a little bit less each trip!!! For £500 per trip you can get a chauffeur driven servcie each time.

We can afford to upgrade our 75D X to a newer one, but everytime I do the numbers its just comes out as a crazy premium to pay for marginal gains. Even if you can afford it, I can think of many other ways to spend £40k which will impact on my wife much more than spending 10 extra minutes charging every now and than........a brand new Model 3 sitting next to our X would be just one idea :).

Remember we are talking about England here not the USA. OPs trip is 120 miles not 1200 miles, 1/3 of which is a 50mph road works zone, with 4 SC enroute AND a 8 bay SC near their destination, plus the 2 bay SC they tried to use. Thats 6 SC options, how much easier do you want life to be?? Dont forget the fact even a 60D X would do that trip fine WITHOUT having to charge.

The OP doesn't want the hassle of EV ownership, and a LR Model X doesn't change that. In all EVs you have to be mindful of range in winter, rain, headwind. All EVs refuel slower than combustion cars. If the OP isn't enjoying the car spending more money on effectively the same car is nuts.

Plenty of nice combustion SUVs around, the Stelvio is a gorgeous looking thing, Alfa looks with a Ferrari engine.......stunning, why keep something you don't enjoy when you could be driving this thing??

Just had a look on Autotrader, for £55k you can pick up a used Quadrifoglio, so for effectively the similar cost upgrading to a new X the OP can keep his current X and have this on the driveway as well!! Or they could almost swap into one for no net cost by selling their X, problem solved:).

stelvio-quadrifoglio-4.jpg

Last edited:
I could get 230 or even 250 miles out of your car every day, and so could you. Expecting to get exactly the same number of miles range irrespective of how heavy your right foot is, or the mix of road speeds driven, is a bit naive. If you drive faster/uphill/against the wind you use more energy, whether that be petrol, diesel or electricity.

switch the gauge to % (fact) rather than miles (guess) and you’ll be a happier bunny :)

I'm a little concerned about the long-term viability of these cars. so much has to be worked out, still.

warranty is 4 years. I'm not sure it will make sense for me to keep a car like this beyond warranty.

over time, things will get better, but its still a very young company and they need more experience building cars.

I had my last car 16 years but I'm quite sure my current m3 will be sold or traded around the time warranty ends.

This is pretty much my view, the technology is moving so quickly that in 4 years when I need to decide if I will trade it in / hand it back / pay the balance; I am expecting to change my M3 for something else. I would be happy to be proved wrong but I expect by then there will be a lot more options out there. Hopefully Tesla will continue to lead the pack and the 500 mile battery will be a reality. For now, just looking forward to moving to the new world.

On the subject of buying an ICE car, one of the major reasons I am moved to an EV when buying a car, is my view that in 4 years time (when I would be aiming for a change) it could be a lot harder to sell an ICE vehicle as EV become more popular and financially (regulations, cost of fuel, etc) more attractive. Plus Tesla’s are cool and ‘gadegty’ :)