Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feeling a bit better now @BornToFly ?

So what triggered this little selloff?

1709585515098.png

Thanks for remembering and thinking about me. I’m out of them already for a couple weeks I have instead:

10x 9/20/24 -P250 @57.80, extrinsic $4.30
14x 6/18/26 -P300 @115, extrinsic $10.20

I plan to roll the 6/18/2026 up and closer in once TSLA’s back in a bullish mode >$220 (one can hope…). Will keep an eye on them.

Meanwhile I BTO some:
+C205 4/19 @6.70
+C210 5/17 @8.60
I plan to close these on next tap of channel top (~205) if we get there, and switch for short calls for the ride back

NVDA - Yes.

TSLA - No

Edit: Although this sudden NVDA drop has me regretting the roll and tripling of my contracts/risk to pay for it. But it was looking like 900 was incoming tomorrow....
Seem like a MACRO (non-AI) and EV sell-off. Not just TSLA.

If AJ's projection are correct we should see a bounce.

1709586719280.png

1709586742115.png

Reactions: BornToFly
Friday I flip rolled some -205/+175 put spreads into -195/+225 call spreads, now for mar 22nd exp (small net credit). The swing trade has this itm spread moved so that it is now otm after today's move, instead of back deep in the doodoo. In fact I could flip roll them right now (or at least right before the trading day ended) to -185/+155 put spread for a .50 credit; that pretend flip roll yielding a net improvement of $20 in the put strike (pretend, because I think there will be a better offer tomorrow).

Since I like selling the 195/225 call spread a lot better than selling the 185/155 put spread, were I to open that as a new position at this moment, I'm letting it be.

This pattern is something I like the looks of, swing trading the ITM spreads. As long as I get the directions on the moves right, each pair of moves that I'm right on improves the strike. So far it looks like I 'lose' $5 on the strike to the flip roll itself in order to keep the expiration date the same, so I need a larger move (like today's 7%) to actually net our an improvement in the short strike.

I don't know how frequently this opportunity will arise, but it's a new tool in my kit for dealing with these situations. I think that on top of needing to be ready to take a directional position, the share price also needs to be in the vicinity of the spread, for this to work well. I might have been able to improve a 240/210 put spread, flip rolling to a 160/190 call spread or something like that, but when the insurance starts off ITM, there's just not a lot that can be done with a spread except hopium.

I also added to my small collection of long June '26 150 strike puts on Friday. For 1 day I am a savant, and this is not-advice. We all make our own decisions, and experience our own consequences.

My larger view of the world is unchanged - TSLA will 10x before 2030, and this year looks like more downer than up. And thus the June '26 150 strike puts with intent to close those this year, and maybe even this month.

I will also start buying June '26 calls - probably the 300 strike again - starting around the 180 share price. I see lots of reasons for new buyers of the shares to be looking elsewhere, at least among the retail ranks, for months to come. That'll enable me to get some leverage on future share price gains at a discount - I'll be ready to keep laddering in calls all the way back down to 100 if that's what we're going to do.

Is there a way to bookmark this thread so the bookmark starts at the newest post instead of having to scroll and click on pages?

So use https://teslamotorsclub[dot]com/tmc/threads/selling-tsla-options-be-the-house.191290/unread

I dunno, maybe shorting the company with growing earnings and a lower forward PE ratio, and long the company with flat earnings and higher forward PE ratio doesn't make sense.
Pretty sure the company doing well has more than doubled their marketcap since ATH and the one doing not so well dropped over 50% from ATH. So it's a matter of trying to call the top on one and bottom on the other today. Your sentiment for both companies are obviously being priced in already. If people is foolish by being bullish when the company is at it's most bearish state, then who's suppose to buy at the bottom? Wait until it's zero?

So use https://teslamotorsclub[dot]com/tmc/threads/selling-tsla-options-be-the-house.191290/unread
Perfect! Thx

Friday I flip rolled some -205/+175 put spreads into -195/+225 call spreads, now for mar 22nd exp (small net credit). The swing trade has this itm spread moved so that it is now otm after today's move, instead of back deep in the doodoo. In fact I could flip roll them right now (or at least right before the trading day ended) to -185/+155 put spread for a .50 credit; that pretend flip roll yielding a net improvement of $20 in the put strike (pretend, because I think there will be a better offer tomorrow).

Since I like selling the 195/225 call spread a lot better than selling the 185/155 put spread, were I to open that as a new position at this moment, I'm letting it be.

This pattern is something I like the looks of, swing trading the ITM spreads. As long as I get the directions on the moves right, each pair of moves that I'm right on improves the strike. So far it looks like I 'lose' $5 on the strike to the flip roll itself in order to keep the expiration date the same, so I need a larger move (like today's 7%) to actually net our an improvement in the short strike.

I don't know how frequently this opportunity will arise, but it's a new tool in my kit for dealing with these situations. I think that on top of needing to be ready to take a directional position, the share price also needs to be in the vicinity of the spread, for this to work well. I might have been able to improve a 240/210 put spread, flip rolling to a 160/190 call spread or something like that, but when the insurance starts off ITM, there's just not a lot that can be done with a spread except hopium.

I also added to my small collection of long June '26 150 strike puts on Friday. For 1 day I am a savant, and this is not-advice. We all make our own decisions, and experience our own consequences.

My larger view of the world is unchanged - TSLA will 10x before 2030, and this year looks like more downer than up. And thus the June '26 150 strike puts with intent to close those this year, and maybe even this month.

I will also start buying June '26 calls - probably the 300 strike again - starting around the 180 share price. I see lots of reasons for new buyers of the shares to be looking elsewhere, at least among the retail ranks, for months to come. That'll enable me to get some leverage on future share price gains at a discount - I'll be ready to keep laddering in calls all the way back down to 100 if that's what we're going to do.

I think I am going to start buying after Q1. If the Cat is right we are going to get some better prices.

Feeling a bit better now @BornToFly ?

So what triggered this little selloff?

View attachment 1024653
Once RSI can no longer be measured this happens. ;-)

I read an interesting stat at 03:00 this morning in IBD… the stock markets have gone UP the past 16 of 18 weeks, that hasn’t happened since 1971, and if goes up again THIS week, it will be the longest run since 1964. ;-). How do you like them apples?

Last edited: