Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking forum help on choosing new tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Riding on my Pilot Sport A/S 3

I have only driven one evening on the new Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires (in 19"), but I must say they are an improvement over my Primacy tires. It's funny that the Pilot Sports cost less than the Primacies, yet seem to offer better handling, quieter and more comfortable ride, and are also warranted to 45,000 miles just like the Primacy. Some of the differences I'm feeling could just be new tires versus older tires that were down to 3/32" tread, but going by memory I don't remember my brand new Primacies being this quiet or feeling this stable.

I've had some bad tramlining issues with the Primacies on a grooved stretch of the I-10 where I live in Arizona. No such issues with the Pilot Sports. The car no longer tramlines, or at least it's been reduced to a point where I don't feel it. I can now roll over that portion of the freeway like a boss. If I were Tesla I would change the standard tire from the Primacy to the Pilot Sport A/S 3. It feels superior in almost every way. At least as much as I can tell from taking it out one time.

Disclaimer: I'm not a performance oriented driver, so I cannot comment on this tire's cornering ability, traction under heavy acceleration, etc.

Nooo. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 are super super quiet.
Different tires have a different noise level on different roads, so what you need to know is if the roads that you most frequently drive on are quiet with the tires you choose. The only way to determine this (before purchasing) is from the comments of others who drive on those tires in your area.

Update

So far so good on my new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. Compared with the Primacies I had previously, the A/S 3s are quiet, handle really well, and offer a much smoother and softer ride than the Primacies. The A/S 3s also do not tramline on a section of freeway where my Primacies tramlined like crazy. Only one thing, which is obvious but not something to which I had given much thought - these tires are not LRR (low rolling resistance). As a result, my energy consumption has increased by approximately 5%. Some of this might be attributed to the tires being new, though I don't know how much.

Except for the lack of LRR, the A/S 3s feel superior to the Primacies in every way and represent a material improvement in my driving experience. I think the reduced efficiency is a fair tradeoff given the superior handling. My car feels sure footed, the floatiness and tramlining are gone, and it's a cheaper tire, too! :) My Model S may have met its perfect tire.

- - - Updated - - -

Different tires have a different noise level on different roads, so what you need to know is if the roads that you most frequently drive on are quiet with the tires you choose. The only way to determine this (before purchasing) is from the comments of others who drive on those tires in your area.

I've driven the same routes in both the Primacy, and now, the A/S 3. There is a substantial reduction in road noise. My nearby onramp to the freeway has rather rough asphalt which the Primacies used to freely transmit into the interior cabin - lots of vibrations, noise, etc. On the new A/S 3s, you barely hear the pavement at all and there are no vibrations. None. My car is much, much quieter with the A/S 3s than it ever was with the Primacies. I feel like I've graduated from Volkswagen to Lexus in terms of noise level and comfort with a simple tire change.

So far so good on my new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. Compared with the Primacies I had previously, the A/S 3s are quiet, handle really well, and offer a much smoother and softer ride than the Primacies. The A/S 3s also do not tramline on a section of freeway where my Primacies tramlined like crazy. Only one thing, which is obvious but not something to which I had given much thought - these tires are not LRR (low rolling resistance). As a result, my energy consumption has increased by approximately 5%. Some of this might be attributed to the tires being new, though I don't know how much.

Except for the lack of LRR, the A/S 3s feel superior to the Primacies in every way and represent a material improvement in my driving experience. I think the reduced efficiency is a fair tradeoff given the superior handling. My car feels sure footed, the floatiness and tramlining are gone, and it's a cheaper tire, too! :) My Model S may have met its perfect tire.

- - - Updated - - -

I've driven the same routes in both the Primacy, and now, the A/S 3. There is a substantial reduction in road noise. My nearby onramp to the freeway has rather rough asphalt which the Primacies used to freely transmit into the interior cabin - lots of vibrations, noise, etc. On the new A/S 3s, you barely hear the pavement at all and there are no vibrations. None. My car is much, much quieter with the A/S 3s than it ever was with the Primacies. I feel like I've graduated from Volkswagen to Lexus in terms of noise level and comfort with a simple tire change.

Dude that's why I've been raving about those tires. They are awesome. You will not feel the same on snow and ice though. They get no traction at all they are really bad there so if you live in snowy climate season treat this tire as a 3 season only.

This thread was exactly what I needed! I picked up my CPO P85+ on Friday. It has the 21" staggered wheels on it. Sunday night, I ran over some debris that lodged in the passenger rear tire and rendered it ruined. I've ordered the TSportline TST 19x8.5 wheels and I was looking for a good set of 19" tires. I also live in Phoenix. :)

One question, are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires completely useless and dangerous in snow, or just bad enough that you need to slow down and take it very easy? I rarely see snow, but there is the occasional trip to Flagstaff for a weekend. So, I'm trying to get a sense if they are just "drive extra carefully in snow" or "do not, under any circumstances, drive these in snow".

Thanks everyone!

One question, are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires completely useless and dangerous in snow, or just bad enough that you need to slow down and take it very easy? I rarely see snow, but there is the occasional trip to Flagstaff for a weekend. So, I'm trying to get a sense if they are just "drive extra carefully in snow" or "do not, under any circumstances, drive these in snow".
They are supposed to be not as good as the Primacy in snow and ice conditions. I haven't run the A/S 3 tires, but I have run the Primacies. My opinion is that when new the Primacies are just barely adequate if there are no hills and you drive slow and leave a lot of space. So:

1. If the Primacies are put on in the spring, don't run them in the winter.

2. If put on in the fall, take care.

3. Don't run them the second winter.

I run Nokian WR-g3 in the winter here in Texas (ice days in Texas are a challenge to drive in). The WR-g3 tires aren't quite as good as R2 or X-Ice, but they are better than a lot of other snow tires plus they don't melt in the heat. They are severe service rated, not just all-season.

I am considering below high performance tires for my stock 19"

1 Michelin PSS
2 Bridgestone RE 71 R

I am wonder what size to use as the don;t come in the exact 245/45/19.
Also not sure how long they last for mostly highway driving.

If they don't last more than 20k miles, then are there are tires which have good range and great performance? A/S 3?

Any input will be great, cheers~!

m

Thanks everyone!

I have had a few close calls to wiping out with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 in snow so IMO yes they are dangerous. They have little to no grip on snow and ice.

This thread was exactly what I needed! I picked up my CPO P85+ on Friday. It has the 21" staggered wheels on it. Sunday night, I ran over some debris that lodged in the passenger rear tire and rendered it ruined. I've ordered the TSportline TST 19x8.5 wheels and I was looking for a good set of 19" tires. I also live in Phoenix. :)

Thanks everyone!

I have not driven in the snow, but the Pilot Sport A/S 3 is an all-season tire. It is supposed to be really good on wet pavement, but probably no better than any other all-season tire in the snow. It should offer better snow performance than a summer tire, however, but that's not saying much.

I think you need to consider this tire.... The Pirelli Centurato P7 All Season Plus

Pretty much ranks as the highest regarded Grand Turismo tire, almost all reviews are 5 star, Low Rolling Resistance, Low Noise, Eco Friendly Compound, here is the TireRack data....
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...toYear=2015&autoModel=Model+S&autoModClar=P85

I use these tires from November to March and I couldn't be more pleased. I've had good experiences with them in all kinds of road conditions including snow. And the tread life has been quite amazing. I have about 20K on them now and they have much life left. My original Conti lasted about 8K.

Silly questions alert:

If I don't have Tesla replace the OEM 19"s with another set of MXM4s:

After buying either the Michelin PS A/S 3s, the Pirelli CP7 ASPs, or just for grins the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s from Tire Rack, and having the tires mounted/balanced wherever (America's/Discount Tire, let's say),

1) Won't I still need an alignment (from wherever, and for which Tesla gets $210 now) as I don't recall America's/Discount Tire doing alignments, and

2) Don't the TPMS require resetting - (for which Tesla gets $150 if I remember right, else maybe if they perform the alignment it's included? (wishful thinking)), or are TPMS resets no longer necessary unless one or more fails and needs to be replaced?

3) Does Tire Rack still give some sort of consideration for TMC members, and if so, what might that be? Perhaps free shipping?

I was just going to have Tesla replace the tires (like for like) when the time comes, but there's a bit of a delta between what's been reported both in terms of happiness (see PS A/S 3s or Pirelli CP7 ASPs) and cost (see Goodyear Eagle RS-A2, latest vintage).

I don't drive the car especially hard - this is a simple S85, not a P90DL - but I do cover a lot of distance in relatively short periods of time. No plans to hang out in snow country, but there will be inevitable episodes (see I-70 in May, or I-40 in Oct/Nov), at least until they finish the Supercharger Wasteland that is I-10 from Tucson to San Antonio.

Thanks in advance. Great thread, btw - glad the A/S 3s worked out for the OP.

1) Won't I still need an alignment (from wherever, and for which Tesla gets $210 now) as I don't recall America's/Discount Tire doing alignments, and

2) Don't the TPMS require resetting - (for which Tesla gets $150 if I remember right, else maybe if they perform the alignment it's included? (wishful thinking)), or are TPMS resets no longer necessary unless one or more fails and needs to be replaced?

1. New tires don't require an alignment unless the previous alignment was done with tires that were wearing irregularly or the alignment was out.

2. Anytime you change tires, you reset the TPMS from the screen. No need for an SC visit.

Silly questions alert:

If I don't have Tesla replace the OEM 19"s with another set of MXM4s:

After buying either the Michelin PS A/S 3s, the Pirelli CP7 ASPs, or just for grins the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s from Tire Rack, and having the tires mounted/balanced wherever (America's/Discount Tire, let's say),

3) Does Tire Rack still give some sort of consideration for TMC members, and if so, what might that be? Perhaps free shipping?

I was just going to have Tesla replace the tires (like for like) when the time comes, but there's a bit of a delta between what's been reported both in terms of happiness (see PS A/S 3s or Pirelli CP7 ASPs) and cost (see Goodyear Eagle RS-A2, latest vintage).

I don't drive the car especially hard - this is a simple S85, not a P90DL - but I do cover a lot of distance in relatively short periods of time. No plans to hang out in snow country, but there will be inevitable episodes (see I-70 in May, or I-40 in Oct/Nov), at least until they finish the Supercharger Wasteland that is I-10 from Tucson to San Antonio.

Thanks in advance. Great thread, btw - glad the A/S 3s worked out for the OP.

1) I did not have an alignment done when Discount Tires replaced my OEM tires with the PS A/S 3's. I took it by the Tesla SC, and they confirmed that I did not need an alignment.
2) Discount Tire replaced all 4 TPMS for $40.
I purchased and had my tires installed by Discount Tires in order to get free balance/rotation, and a warranty. Tesla does not offer a warranty for tires they sale and install.

1. New tires don't require an alignment unless the previous alignment was done with tires that were wearing irregularly or the alignment was out.

2. Anytime you change tires, you reset the TPMS from the screen. No need for an SC visit.

Your #1 goes against what my service center recommends as well as what Discount Tire recommends. Also, Discount Tire recommends a TPMS rebuild when changing tires due to the potential for air leakage.