Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratching the itch for a second EV!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you modify the cable/EVSE that comes with the leased Leaf they will charge you a cool $990 when you return the car. Be careful with that. It's cheaper to buy and install a Clipper Creek :)
You can simply trade your EVSE to someone else who hasn't upgraded theirs yet. You could even charge some fraction of the $287 in many cases.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most dealers don't even check for the stock EVSE and don't realize it's missing. Or you can simply replace the L6-30 plug with a NEMA 5-15 plug and none will be the wiser.

Indeed, the dealer did not check for the stock EVSE when we returned our lease, but YMMV going forward. Doing the EVSE swap at the start and end of the lease is probably the most cost effective solution.

Should work great, although I wouldn't keep switching around between the LCS-25 and UMC, I'd just charge both cars from the LCS-25. the 10-30 isn't really made for frequent use.

I also heartily recommend upgrading the LEAF's EVSE, you can get identical performance to the LCS-25 and it can run 120/240v. At the end of the lease, just advertise it on MyNissanLEAF.com, and you'll easily find someone to swap their unmodified one for your modified one probably with cash back.

Should work great, although I wouldn't keep switching around between the LCS-25 and UMC, I'd just charge both cars from the LCS-25. the 10-30 isn't really made for frequent use.

I also heartily recommend upgrading the LEAF's EVSE, you can get identical performance to the LCS-25 and it can run 120/240v. At the end of the lease, just advertise it on MyNissanLEAF.com, and you'll easily find someone to swap their unmodified one for your modified one probably with cash back.
I guess this is a matter of personal ethics (or whatever you want to call it). Technically you don't own the Leaf EVSE. Nissan does. So you are having the Nissan property modified and then hope that at the end of the lease you'll be able to replace it with someone else's EVSE that is hopefully still the same part and in good condition (or you are speculating that the dealership won't notice the modification).
Personally, that is not the way I deal with property that I only rent - but I understand the financial incentive of acting in that way. I just would neither do that nor encourage others to do so.
And yes, I understand that YMMV and that others disagree with my view on this.

Indeed, the dealer did not check for the stock EVSE when we returned our lease, but YMMV going forward. Doing the EVSE swap at the start and end of the lease is probably the most cost effective solution.

yep, per EVSEUPgrade

Question:

I am leasing, so is it still ok to upgrade my unit?

Answer:
Our assurance guarantee: At the end of your lease we will be happy to downgrade your unit for free. (you cover the shipping)

So far we've not yet had anyone take us up on the free downgrade offer, as it's easy to simply offer a swap with another owner who doesn't yet have an upgraded unit. You can even make some easy money, as almost any new owner will want to swap with you for lower cost than they can get their own unit upgraded for! Many customers just list their unit as a swap-out for another LEAF unit on ebay or craigslist as there are new owners always looking for a low-cost charging solution. You simply swap with the new owner, and you get a new unit to turn in at the end of your lease, the other guy gets a cheap upgraded unit, plus you pocket some extra cash!

Also, We've now had a number of customers turn in their LEAFs, including several that were given buy-back offers in Arizona, and they experienced no problems with the upgraded unit tucked in it's bag in the trunk with the 120v adapter attached. However, we are not advising people turn in cars with upgraded units. It would be far batter and to have it swapped out to a new LEAF owner in the community, and then everyone wins!

Good point! Less hassle too. I'll lose 4A when compared to the UMC, I guess (that pulls 24A from this outlet), but, no big deal.

Thanks all.

Just found out that my wife's company is one of the partners in the Nissan VPP that comes with a $1,000 discount below invoice and a no-haggle setup. Let's see how that shakes out for the lease terms.

The CVRP remaining funds are ticking down by the minute. It's down by about $1.3m in just 2 days. Pulling the trigger either today or tomorrow.

I guess this is a matter of personal ethics (or whatever you want to call it). Technically you don't own the Leaf EVSE. Nissan does. So you are having the Nissan property modified and then hope that at the end of the lease you'll be able to replace it with someone else's EVSE that is hopefully still the same part and in good condition ...
Personally, that is not the way I deal with property that I only rent - but I understand the financial incentive of acting in that way. I just would neither do that nor encourage others to do so.
And yes, I understand that YMMV and that others disagree with my view on this.
It's a personal decision. I swapped mine out for the exact same part from a car the same age, and I verified that it was in good condition so I felt no guilt whatsoever. At the absolute worst case, EVSEUpgrade will do a free trade out for an unmodified unit. But the LCS-25 will be a great choice, and then it'll be his to do with as he wishes.

Good point! Less hassle too. I'll lose 4A when compared to the UMC, I guess (that pulls 24A from this outlet), but, no big deal. ...
Well, you could always get the Jesla (JESLAâ„¢ is THE 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution!) which would give you the 4a back. It's pretty darned pricey for charging the LEAF, but it is more flexible.

I realize you probably already made your decision, but I bought a 2012 FFE and have loved every minute of it. I am using a UMC converted to J1772. As you are already familiar with the UMC, you are familiar with the versatility. The ability to charge many places is much more important with a short range EV like the FFE or the Leaf than it is with the Model S. I have every adapter, home made adapters, and extension cords for my J1772 UMC. It has made the FFE for me. It is my only vehicle. Make sure you get the 6.6 kW charging option with the Leaf. Good luck.

qM3CeuMs.jpg ZnKczGXs.jpg

My dream of a two-EV garage is dead in the water, for now. :( The Treasury Secretary at home wasn't convinced at the end of it all that it made financial sense. Oh well. I'll have to be even more patient for Model E - 4 years!! :crying: - as I was for the Model S (3 in that case).

If there's anyone out there in the Bay Area looking for a LEAF, this is the best I could negotiate with the Redwood City Boardwalk Nissan sales guy (one Leo Stefani):

Nissan LEAF S + Charge Package (6.6 kW charger, CHAdeMo DC QC port)
36-month lease, 12,000 miles per year
$2,500 drive-off (can be negated by the CVRP rebate if you act within the next week or so)
$183 + tax per month

The dealer is desperate enough to get rid of some 143 LEAFs that he has on his lot that you may be able to do better than I did.

Thanks for all the input. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time :)

Check out the Chevy Spark. FWIW, Car and Driver rated it above the Honda and Leaf, mainly because of better performance and being more fun to drive. These factors may not be important for a around town grocery getter.

Used Leafs should be very cheap, heard they have very low resale value.

I'm in the process of getting a Volt for my second car. Rydell Chevrolet has them for $4k off MSRP and I got a $750 credit for being a USAA member.
The Volt is one of the few hybrids that actually gets the full $7500 fed rebate. If you haven't driven a Volt, I suggest checking one out. Make sure the one you test drive doesn't have a drained battery, or the generator will be humming the whole time during the drive.

Just googled Chevy Spark EV. Can't believe they made the comment " best electric mileage of any electric vehicle.. " In less I read it wrong. Checked spec and it is 82 miles . Also can't get my head around cars that look like they are a Electric..

The spark has the best EPA MPGe rating, so it has the best "mileage", but nowhere near the best range.

I really don't like the look of the Spark, but it does look like the non EV version, so it's not strictly an "EV" thing.

gg, this thread definitely wasn't a waste of time! My wife and I are in the same boat. Our Volt lease ends in October. And we refuse to get an ICE. We could go with another PHEV, but if we could find a viable BEV for less than $45k, that would be our preference.

Unfortunately, we live in PHX (so our choices are much fewer since we don't get the compliance cars here) and if the Leaf still isn't using active thermal battery mgmt, then its much less viable as an option. (We could lease one, I suppose, but it really would be a smoking - no pun intended - deal.)

I thought by October 2014, there's be plenty of options. Sadly, its not looking like the case. Right now, realistically, we're looking at:
- another Volt (we'd really want more than a 4-seater)
- the i3 (I can't get past the looks, and I'm usually all for modern/forward-thinking designs, plus the 4-seat issue),
- a Leaf (my wife is pretty set against one though and she'd be the primary driver),
- a Ford Fusion energi (but the ridiculous 22 mi elec only range is a bummer),
- a Ford Focus Electric (leading contender).

We were hoping that the Merc B-Class would be available by then, but its looking like it won't be, or it'll be compliance only, or way overpriced.

Ugh.

The much bigger turn off was the way it handled. We test drove one on wet streets and it was scary.
And of course there's the issue that this is purely a compliance car with no serious interest in selling it...
I'm sorry to hear that. I have a Spark EV, and haven't felt dissatisfied with the handling. I know that some owners have replaced the ultra-efficiency tires it has with performance tires. Range drops a bit, but handling approves according to their reports. The Spark EV certainly has the most pep of any 4-door EV other than the Tesla.

I find the LEAF has a strange look and the Spark EV to be small and shaped like a city car, but not ugly in the same way as the LEAF. To each his own!

- another Volt (we'd really want more than a 4-seater)
- the i3 (I can't get past the looks, and I'm usually all for modern/forward-thinking designs, plus the 4-seat issue),
- a Leaf (my wife is pretty set against one though and she'd be the primary driver),
- a Ford Fusion energi (but the ridiculous 22 mi elec only range is a bummer),
- a Ford Focus Electric (leading contender).

-Just got a Volt to add to the electric stable. Love it so far.
-i3? Yeah, not a fan of the looks, either.
-Leaf is good for around town if you're fine with the looks.
-Fusion Energi is not a very nice car IMHO. 11 miles EV is kind of a joke, and you pay a hefty price for it. It's pretty, but the controls and drive are lacking.
-I got rid of my 2012 Focus hatch and it was nice. An electric version would be nice, though.