Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SB 6272 and HB 2524 to prevent new Tesla stores in Washigton state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched the last Senate video with the discussion of SB 6272. It appears that the amendment added will allow for a manufacture to own a dealership.

TVW v3
see 1:13 then skip to 1:21

The Senator who expressed displeasure and voted against the amendment is Steve Conway. Weird that he votes that way ... maybe its because he is the largest campaign recipient from the Washington State Auto Dealers Association in the last election cycle.

WASHINGTON STATE AUTO DEALERS ASSOCIATION | Follow The Money

The lobbyist for the auto dealers is Scott Hazelgrove. He just told one of our Senators that this does not affect other industries, it is just a "personal" issue for some (pointed at me directly) who own Tesla vehicles or as he said to her "Tesla operations" (doesn't even know what he's saying). I reminded her that as an employer and a consumer, this definitely affects all industries and consumers. Disruptive technology/methods are just that, disruptive. It affects everyone and we need to allow it to happen to move forward with change and innovation. She agrees with us.

Mail from Tesla asking people to show up at the state capital in Olympia on Monday:

Dear Tesla Advocates,

The Auto Dealers in Washington are working hard to pass legislation that would infringe on Tesla’s ability to continue to do business in your state. As a Tesla advocate in Washington we need your help now. This legislation, HB 2524 and SB 6272, would change the existing law to prevent Tesla from opening or operating any additional facilities in Washington. Make no mistake – this bill would prevent Tesla from opening more stores and service locations in Washington!

Please join us and other Tesla Advocates for a rally at the Capitol and help defeat HB2524 and SB6272.
What:Tesla Support Rally; Defeat HB2524 and SB6272
When:Monday, February 17th at 10:30am
Where:416 Sid Snyder Ave SW

Olympia, WA 98504
Participants should park in the North Diagonal visitor lot off of Capitol Way South. Parking is also available on 14th Avenue SE.
Other ways to show support:
You can also show your support by contacting the Governor, the Speaker of the House, the Senate President, your local Senator and state Representatives, and letting them know that you want Tesla to stay and grow in Washington!
Did you know:
Washington has the fourth largest volume of Model S in North America.
With Sales and Service operations in Seattle and Bellevue, Tesla adds between $7-10 million in direct economic activity and 15-20 jobs per location. Tesla will be banned from creating additional jobs, opening new locations and bringing substantial economic investment from a U.S. company to Washington if this legislation passes.
Tesla has installed three Supercharger stations in Washington, which provide direct investment and support additional commerce to the local economies. Tesla plans to continue to add more Supercharger stations in Washington this year.
Spread the word, and thank you for your immediate action!
- - - Updated - - -

Some people on a local email list had some questions; Tesla didn't send a lot of info, but I tried to answer the ones I could:

Some questions I have heard that I can answer now:

• Will people be working at the Capital on President’s Day? Yes. I can’t guarantee any particular person, but teachers, for example, often visit their legislators on President’s Day because school is out.
  • Haven’t public hearings already been held on this issue? Yes, on Jan 29th as Scott noted.
  • Is there another hearing, or a vote or something, on this issue that is schedule for Monday? No – at least, not yet. Of course the schedule is constantly changing, but as of now, nothing is scheduled for Monday morning.
  • Hasn’t the bill already been modified to take out the offending provisions? No, not yet. Several friendly legislators have insisted the anti-Tesla provisions were inadvertent (there is a lot of stuff in the bill, and Tesla is not named, so it’s easy to believe most legislators did not understand all the implications of the initial bill) and will definitely change, but as of now the provisions are still in.
  • Can out-of-state people help? Yes! You can’t submit comments to our legislators (well, you can always send them email, but it will likely be filtered by staff and not counted or read by legislators), but if you are able to show up in person, more people and vehicles definitely looks better. And it sends a clear message to the dealer lobbyists that future anti-EV legislation is not going to pass unnoticed, or without a fight. Bill sponsors don’t like fights.

Some questions that I can’t answer:
[EDIT: after talking to Tesla, I can answer them - see my post below]

Related information:

• Washington has the highest per-capita BEV ownership in the US, most of that due to the LEAF and then the Model S (highest per-capita there too)
  • In addition to the section that disallows a manufacturer like Tesla from opening stores or service centers, there is another section that says if any manufacturer (say, Audi) wants to start selling EVs and requires dealers selling them to buy equipment – like, say, EVSEs, diagnostic tools, etc – then Audi has to demand that EVERY Audi dealer buy that equipment, even if they won’t sell EVs. Most US dealers do not offer EVs and clearly will not do that, so this is a good way to keep new EVs out of the state.
  • Most years, Washington spends over $16B on petroleum. Almost all of that money leaves the state. Imagine the effect on our economy if we spent under $4B on local electricity instead. The state has a huge interest in making sure the EVs continue to sell well here.
  • Tesla included links to get contact information for your legislators, but I think it’s easier on you and on them to comment directly on the bills, which you can do via the links below. Click “Comment on this bill”, and then make sure you click the “Oppose” button, fill out the form, and “Submit Form”.

Last edited:
I just watched the last Senate video with the discussion of SB 6272. It appears that the amendment added will allow for a manufacture to own a dealership.

TVW v3
see 1:13 then skip to 1:21

The Senator who expressed displeasure and voted against the amendment is Steve Conway. Weird that he votes that way ... maybe its because he is the largest campaign recipient from the Washington State Auto Dealers Association in the last election cycle.

WASHINGTON STATE AUTO DEALERS ASSOCIATION | Follow The Money

Anybody know of a viable opponent for Steve Conway's in the 29th district primary? (He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary last time). Even better, is there anybody on here living in that district that has political aspirations? Conway is up for re-election this year, which is ideal timing.

I think we should rally up and financially support his opponent and then be very vocal about it. There should be severe political repercussions for someone to support a bill like this. I don't think any legislator out there would even think it consequential to support it, but being primaried by a grass roots organization will send a clear message to legislators throughout the nation.

And this should be a cheap race in the grand scheme of things (his entire campaign funding was $100'000 for the 2010 election - that's less than $100 per Tesla owner in WA state, or 50 of us coming together with maximum contribution).

I just have no idea about that district though - is there anybody on here who knows it better?

I just had a phone call with Tesla Motors. I did not take notes on the call so this may not be exact, but I hope close enough to give you an idea of what is at stake.

TIMING

Why does this have to be Monday, and why are we just finding out about it now?

The dealer lobbyists just proposed the bill in late January (the first reading was Jan 20), and it took a while for Tesla to become aware of it. Early last week, Tesla came to Olympia and talked to several of the legislators involved. While they heard several agree the anti-Tesla portion was protectionist legislation and should be stricken from the bill, they also heard some say they were supportive of dealer jobs in the state. Late last week Tesla, a dealer lobbyist, and a committee chairman met to discuss the bill; when asked, the dealer lobbyist made it clear that the anti-Tesla section was key and that they would not support the bill if it was removed. After the meeting, the dealers hired two additional lobbyists.

This year, the legislative session is short. For any new non-appropriations bill to have a chance of passing both sides this year, it has to pass one side by Tuesday. So while there are no votes scheduled yet, it is extremely likely that somebody is going to press for a vote on this issue on Monday or Tuesday. That is why it is so important for us to act on Monday.

URGENCY

Is this really something we have to worry about? First, consider what happens if it passes as-is:

• Tesla can’t ever open any more sales or service centers in WA – they can’t support Vancouver, Spokane, Bellingham, Ellensburg...
  • No other small new auto manufacturer can come to WA and sell direct to consumers; they will have to use dealers
  • Existing auto manufacturers that introduce new EVs can’t ask for volunteer dealers to install equipment (EVSEs, tools, diagnostics) to service the EVs unless they make EVERY dealer in the state buy the same equipment
Basically, this seems to be trying to keep any new EVs from coming to WA. Yeah, I’m worried about that.

Second, look at how hard the dealers are fighting to get this done. They dropped a bill with hard-to-understand provisions to block new EVs in the state less than a month before deadline. They hired two new lobbyists last week after being questioned about section 1; they certainly aren’t planning on having them just sit around on Monday and Tuesday. When asked to compromise (the bill contains several other items they want), they said will not support their OWN BILL unless the anti-Tesla provision stays. They are working hard to make this happen, and they have some support in the legislature because of “dealer jobs”. (An argument I’ve never fully gotten my head around – Tesla hires people in their stores and service centers too!)

Last week a couple of legislators have said they were sure the anti-Tesla provision would be removed before the bill moved out of committee; but Tesla claims it did move out of committee on both sides and both bills are currently on the floor complete with the anti-Tesla provision.

OLYMPIA LOGISTICS

OK, we want to help. What can we do?

The best thing you can do, by far, is show up in Olympia on Monday morning – not many people are willing to do that, so legislators really pay attention when their constituents do so. Tesla reserved part of the North Diagonal parking lot (I didn’t know you could do that! Tesla included a link below) and paid for parking, so owners will have free parking near the Capitol building. If the weather is good, there might be people out by the cars. If the weather is bad, head inside the Capitol building, up the steps and under the huge chandelier in the center of the building. Tesla employees will have one-page sheets giving you more information about the bill. Then...go visit your legislators! To find out who they are, see http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/. There is a decent chance they won’t have an open appointment for you; that’s OK, ask to talk to their Legislative Assistant. The assistant will tally your opinion and pass on any information you leave.

CAN’T MAKE IT TO OLYMPIA?

If you can’t make it on Monday, then let your legislator know your opinion online instead. Below are Jeff Finn’s helpful instructions:

• Click on both of these bill number links. This will cause your browser to open the bills' respective official information web pages.
  • Once on the respective bill's official page, click on the Comment on this bill link to the right of the bill number near the top of the page.
  • Complete the online form including verifying your district and clicking the Oppose button.
  • Click the Submit Form button when the form is complete. Your message will be delivered directly to your specific Legislative District's elected representatives. It is my understanding that your opposition will also be tallied and made available to all Legislators. (You can save some time by copying your message's text from the 1st bill's form so you can paste it into the 2nd)

Last edited:
Thanks ChadS, I submitted comments on both of those.

Thinking also that it's time we have a bill at the Federal level that will allow Tesla to open stores and conduct business freely in any state.
Unfortunately I think this is unrealistic, both because this sort of regulation is done at the state level and because of the total collapse of the Congress.

Would it be OK to offer to visit the legislators local office to show them a Tesla and perhaps give a demo ride. My Senator and one of the 2 Representatives for our district have an office together in our district. They are both on the Transportation committee.

Would it be OK to offer to visit the legislators local office to show them a Tesla and perhaps give a demo ride. My Senator and one of the 2 Representatives for our district have an office together in our district. They are both on the Transportation committee.

That would be awesome. A ride in the car seals the deal as you know and a great help if you can't make it tomorrow. They are on the right committee too.