Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sadly the WORST new car buying experience...and I love Teslas.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to stick a spanner in the works here.

I had a similar experience when I went to pick up my inventory car, except I had already driven 100 miles to the SC for the pickup appt only be told after wating several hours they couldn't get my car to me. I asked why and was eventually told it had a flat battery, as that clearly didnt work for me, this became a flat 12V battery, then they couldn't find the wheels (!) and it had a flat tyre and eventually an HV problem that meant there was no way they could get me the car on the day.

To be fair they gave me a loaner but on the way out the door I overheard one of the Tesla folk talking about it to a colleague and said it had probably had transport damage.

Sure enough when I eventually got to pick the car up weeks later it had a new front wing fitted and a later I confirmed a new wheel to the same quarter - all done well enough not to be an issue but gave lie to the excuses - caveat emptor

Also dont forget to check for charging cables and first aid kit - missing on mine and Tesla refused to give them to me so I had to buy my own. Left a bad taste that did.
You shouldn't have bought your own Type-2. The car is supplied with it, or at least the Tesla website says it is. Cars that have been delivered in recent months haven't had them supplied, but when flagged they say that the VINs that are missing cables are being logged and that the cable will follow.

My car came without a Type-2 cable and I had to chase it more than once to actually get one shipped out. I sense that had I not done that I would've been waiting months. In the end an email I sent resulted in both Bristol and Heathrow sending me a Type-2 cable, but I managed to stop Heathrow from actually dispatching it.

In terms of things missing - they don't come with a frunk mat, frunk hooks, USB cables for the phone dock. Cars that are being built now will come with USB-C in the back and 1 at the front (with higher amps supplied), and a wireless charging mat.

So the call came in yesterday, at last we have your car, we will deliver it to you tomorrow before 11.30am...and hey presto this morning it arrived!

The 4 week wait was over...and of course the car was worth the wait! Delivered as ever by a great guy from the Tesla sales team.

But wait, what’s this...the car we bought on line out of their inventory, was supposed to have done 2,900 miles, this one has 3,900 miles on the clock...the car we had been told was stuck in a compound for the last month, couldn’t be accessed etc, at least according to the sat nav (yes, would you believe it they didn’t do a factory reset) seems to have been up to Leicestershire 2 weeks ago, and had a nice recharge at the Newport Pagnell supercharger on the 7th June. (And to remind you it was the 5th of June they cancelled our 8th June delivery and told us on the 8th it was stuck in the compound still) It’s also been to various places in May, just can’t tell if that was before we ordered it on the 13th....either way come on Tesla this is very, very poor...downright lying to your customers is not good form. As for the extra 1,000 miles I am not even sure where to start on that one....

Oh and of course it didn’t have mats either but that was almost guaranteed in my mind!

So the call came in yesterday, at last we have your car, we will deliver it to you tomorrow before 11.30am...and hey presto this morning it arrived!

The 4 week wait was over...and of course the car was worth the wait! Delivered as ever by a great guy from the Tesla sales team.

But wait, what’s this...the car we bought on line out of their inventory, was supposed to have done 2,900 miles, this one has 3,900 miles on the clock...the car we had been told was stuck in a compound for the last month, couldn’t be accessed etc, at least according to the sat nav (yes, would you believe it they didn’t do a factory reset) seems to have been up to Leicestershire 2 weeks ago, and had a nice recharge at the Newport Pagnell supercharger on the 7th June. (And to remind you it was the 5th of June they cancelled our 8th June delivery and told us on the 8th it was stuck in the compound still) It’s also been to various places in May, just can’t tell if that was before we ordered it on the 13th....either way come on Tesla this is very, very poor...downright lying to your customers is not good form. As for the extra 1,000 miles I am not even sure where to start on that one....

Oh and of course it didn’t have mats either but that was almost guaranteed in my mind!
I do hope you're going to royally kick off!

Reactions: moodel_tree
Wasn't sure if this merited a whole new thread, but just saw this on Reddit:

First drive home. Water pouring into the cabin of my brand new Model 3. I’m beyond disappointed. : teslamotors

All I can say is.. err...

I'm going to check my car now as its been raining hard for pretty much 24 hours here. :eek::eek:

EDIT: Welp looks like I need to add something to my service appointment. Not sure where this came from but presumably a poor seal..

3D407272-986B-4DB1-BDBA-8FFC2BA50300.jpeg

AD9571CE-8E7F-438D-A85F-E4CF77F571CE.jpeg

Fortunately nothing in the interior or anywhere else.

Last edited: