Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Tesla, car selects wrong driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the best place to post this.

We own two Tesla's (2018 M3 and 2022 MY). We first set up a profile for each of us with the supplied keycards in both car (w/ our first names). Somewhat later two additional profiles appeared, with our email addresses. These are the ones that sync to the cloud (I think).

In the past few months, each car selects the wrong driver when we go to drive. Mine selections the one for my wife email address, and her MY selects mine. This happens when the other driver is nowhere close. For example, my wife is in another state now, and my M3 still selects her.

Suggestions on how to fix this? I think the synced profiles have both of our phones associated with it, but that is just a guess. Suggestions very appreciated. I had my M3 in for service recently to have the 12 volt battery replaced, I mentioned this to the service tech, he didn't have any useful ideas...

Thanks!

Not sure if this is the best place to post this.

We own two Tesla's (2018 M3 and 2022 MY). We first set up a profile for each of us with the supplied keycards in both car (w/ our first names). Somewhat later two additional profiles appeared, with our email addresses. These are the ones that sync to the cloud (I think).

In the past few months, each car selects the wrong driver when we go to drive. Mine selections the one for my wife email address, and her MY selects mine. This happens when the other driver is nowhere close. For example, my wife is in another state now, and my M3 still selects her.

Suggestions on how to fix this? I think the synced profiles have both of our phones associated with it, but that is just a guess. Suggestions very appreciated. I had my M3 in for service recently to have the 12 volt battery replaced, I mentioned this to the service tech, he didn't have any useful ideas...

Thanks!
Go to Controls > Locks > Keys to change which profile is linked to which key. Note that while you can link multiple keys to a single profile, you can't link multiple profiles to a single key.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-A2D0403E-3DAC-4695-A4E6-DC875F4DEDC3.html

In the past few months, each car selects the wrong driver when we go to drive.
There have been reports of some settings getting lost during a software update. Trying a reboot couldn't hurt.

Also the UI is unclear about the one-way links that @stopcrazypp mentioned:

* Each key can select -> a driver profile.

* Each driver profile can select -> a preferred Bluetooth device to use for streaming audio, phone calls, and text messages.

So check those settings.