Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S or X or Wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still curious about Tesla's strategy. Did they purposely not putting any storage in the car, to allow for aftermarket accessories market?

There are a number of threads on this, however speculation is (no particular order):

1. European designers (they don't like storage or cup holders).

2. Development budget.

3. Time to production.

4. Keeping the MSRP under the $50,000.

5. Selling the missing bits later.

If I may ask, how old are your children? If they're at an age where they know what a Tesla is, then if you ultimately decide not to buy the Tesla, if I were you, I wouldn't tell them that you were considering buying one. They will be very disappointed. Seriously. In my area, kids are actually putting pressure on their parents to buy a Tesla as the next family car whether or not the parents can afford it. The Tesla is seen as the cool car by kids, much more so that a Porsche or BMW or Mercedes. I notice this kind of enthusiasm for the car among kids when I am driving in my MS. I frequently have kids give me the thumbs up sign and ooh and aah over the car. Kids get it.

If you can afford the car, your kids will think you're the coolest parent around by getting a Model S. They won't give a rats' *** if there aren't places to hide their toys, and with the Pilot, you already have enough storage space for Cheerios wedged in the seats and other stuff to wedge behind the seats that you'll re-discover in five years since no one missed it. And if your wife wants more storage space in the MS, you can always get the drop in console with plenty of space for nick nacks and two more cup holders. You should do a search for the console and see what it looks like.

Once you set foot in the car, you will quickly conclude that Tesla did not cut corners. Yes, there are some things that are different, but IMHO that is the beauty of the car.

I am here, trying to respond but was on business travel. In fact, I stopped by Tesla Huston while I was in Taxes and they don't allow any test drive since they can't operate as a dealer. Interesting. I have been thinking this over and over again, but still can't make up my mind if I should swing it. I even took my plug-in prius today to Carmax and got a good offer. I am still curious about Tesla's strategy. Did they purposely not putting any storage in the car, to allow for aftermarket accessories market? Kind of like apple, look at all the aftermarket accessories out there for ipad and iphone. Or Tesla was too busy trying to make the delivery dead-line and forgot to design any storage space? Anyhow, my wife got a Honda Pilot with tons of storage space for road trip. But, if I get the Model S, I want my wife and kids to enjoy it too. Therefore, I am not saying I can't live without storage space, but I feel that some reasonable storage space should be the basic on any cars, especially for a 100k car. In the mean time, I envy all the model S owners out there.

Last edited:
Re. storage: I would propose that for many of us, a car with less pockets and cup holders is a boon. In our current car, I am constantly cleaning out trash after our kids (and my wife). The less places for them to hide the junk in, the easier it is to say "grab your stash and your trash" on the way out of the car.

Kids love model S

If I may ask, how old are your children? If they're at an age where they know what a Tesla is, then if you ultimately decide not to buy the Tesla, if I were you, I wouldn't tell them that you were considering buying one. They will be very disappointed. Seriously. In my area, kids are actually putting pressure on their parents to buy a Tesla as the next family car whether or not the parents can afford it. The Tesla is seen as the cool car by kids, much more so that a Porsche or BMW or Mercedes. I notice this kind of enthusiasm for the car among kids when I am driving in my MS. I frequently have kids give me the thumbs up sign and ooh and aah over the car. Kids get it.

If you can afford the car, your kids will think you're the coolest parent around by getting a Model S. They won't give a rats' *** if there aren't places to hide their toys, and with the Pilot, you already have enough storage space for Cheerios wedged in the seats and other stuff to wedge behind the seats that you'll re-discover in five years since no one missed it. And if your wife wants more storage space in the MS, you can always get the drop in console with plenty of space for nick nacks and two more cup holders. You should do a search for the console and see what it looks like.

Once you set foot in the car, you will quickly conclude that Tesla did not cut corners. Yes, there are some things that are different, but IMHO that is the beauty of the car.

Agree completely. Kids of all ages love the Model S, they will not miss the storage spaces and coat hanger. Get Model S now and reserve the Model X for 2015 delivery, which I have done. Your kids (and spouse) will thank you.

I have been asking myself the same question: Practicality vs Want. I can promise you that there will be improvements with the interior with the next version. Same holds true for the battery. The price may be higher later, or not. For me, that's irrelevant. Heck, in several years Tesla may have some serious competition.

As far as the storage goes, let me tell you a brief story: I went to CarMax this past weekend to consider unloading my GMC Acadia. In preparation, I cleaned out the car. Even though my car was fairly clean and organized, I still managed to fill several grocery bags with all sorts of junk that accumulated over the last 3 years. Much of this was in door pockets and the glove boxes. I have to say that 90% of this stuff should not have been in the car anyway.

Personally, I will get the center console and probably an aftermarket center console for the rear. If I have 5 people, I'll throw that one in the trunk.

As others have mentioned, it's really a personal decision. However, I'll put out my two cents as to why my wife and I decided to wait for another year or two (actually cancelling my order). First, my wife and I love the car. Nothing like it and probably won't be for several years. As was eluded to in earlier in the thread, my kids pushed very hard for us to buy the car. Our 10 year old nearly cried when we told him we were cancelling the order. Some of our thoughts:

1) While the Model S appears to be a very safe vehicle overall, the rear (fixed) headrests are way too short for our 13 year old (6ft) son and any other passengers of that height in the back seat. A violent rear end collision would toss the head backward (after going forward), with no support of the head which I think could lead to severe neck injury. I want to wait & see how the "official" crash test results come out...
2) There are no back-up sensors on a very quiet vehicle. We have a four year old who plays with all kinds of "toys" in the garage and driveway. I didn't like the combination of no back-up sensors; a quiet vehicle and a young kid who likes to play in the garage/driveway.
3) We planned to use the Model S for all local family trips. With five people in the car, we really need some basic level of storage which the Model S is lacking.
4) My wife and I planned to share the Model S. It is my understanding, that CURRENTLY, the key fobs do not trigger the individual profile settings. Both of our current vehicles have this feature and it would be frustrating for both of us to share the car without this feature.
5) The sun visor seems to be an afterthought...tiny with no light for the mirror...
6) My wife loved that there was no center console so she could place her purse there...I hated it because I don't carry a purse and everything I placed in the area would be rolling around (especially the way I drive).
7) As Consumer Reports pointed out in their raving review - they cannot recommend the car because there's not enough data to tell the reliability of the vehicle. I have no idea how reliable the car will be in the longer term. I've seen some people with up to 10,000 miles or so at most. And, with what, maybe 15,000 cars produced thus far? Not a lot of data points...I have noted some people, though, having issues with leather wear on the b pillar after only a few months with the car. I don't want to pay $80k for a vehicle and then worry how I get in and out of the vehicle.
8) While future versions of the Model S MAY increase a little, it's doubtful that they'll go into a different price range entirely. If you can "afford" a Tesla Model S now, in all likelihood you'll be able to afford one in a year or two. I anticipate the battery range to improve over the next year or two at the same or even lower cost. I didn't want to be "stuck" in 5 years trying to sell a car that essentially has an obsolete battery.
9) I loved the look of the 21" inch wheels, but afraid of bending, road rash, winter driving, etc., just not real practical from my perspective in the Midwest. Unfortunately, I really don't care for the 19" wheels and would have to go aftermarket which would add to the cost.
10) A SuperCharger station is not scheduled anywhere I drive for 2 years...I could have excluded this option for now, but it would cost $500 more when I decided to add the feature.
11) The full $7,500 Fed credit is in place for the first 200k cars, so it'll still be there when I want to purchase in a year or two or three - whenever there is a "refresh" or whatever Tesla will call the inevitable improvements which are made over the next few years.
12) Tesla is currently profitable due to CA EV credits sold to other car manufacturers. While I THINK they can make it as a stand-alone car manufacturer selling battery technology and cars, it is still a risky proposition. I felt I had to be comfortable with the "worst case" scenario of what would happen if Tesla went out of business. By itself, I could probably deal with this factor, but adding all of the other considerations put me into the "wait" category. I think the financial position of Tesla will be much more clear. We'll know if sales remain constant or fall off after the early adopters have purchased; we'll know if they can manufacture the cars at a profit; and we'll know if they can increase production levels and maintain/increase quality.
13) Resale - our "car" strategy the past 15 years has been to buy "slightly used" with around 10K or fewer miles and then sell at around 75k-80K after the warranty expires, but before large maintenance bills (e.g. timing belt) arrive. We're usually able to sell our vehicle for 50-60% of our purchase price after 5 or more years. I don't see that happening if we buy a Model S now. In 5 years, the battery will most likely be obsolete in terms of comparison range. The Fed credit will still be in place for NEW cars. And, Elon has stated he'll be selling top-of-the-line loaners/service cars which WILL qualify for the Fed credit. So, I think it'll be tough to sell a used Tesla in five years at anything greater than 30-35% the after-credit purchase price. That was just too much "loss" for me.

Perhaps more than my two cents. Again, despite the lengthy post, we do love the car and feel it is a historical vehicle. We would have liked to have been early adopters, but for us, we felt we'd enjoy paying the $80k much more in a few years after most of our concerns have been addressed by time.

rlr:

2) I understand your concern almost any car at 10mph makes little to no noise so the backup camera the Model S has (high def) is great.
3) Telsa will be selling a center console this summer. There are others as well. This has been an issue for others as well and they've found some aftermarket solutions.
4) With the driver selectable profiles, this isn't that bad but understand the desire to do that. Not sure if this is something they can do in software but seems like they could. They probably could activate this via the mobile phone app if you were to use this walking out to the car.
5) They said they were going to address this last fall but not sure what happened with that

You make excellent points and have to be comfortable with your purchase before moving forward to waiting was the right thing to do. By this time next year hopefully things have lined up a little better for you in terms of the Model S and its configuration.