Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Round Trip Cross Country Camping Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, friends—

My wife and I began doing a lot of research at the beginning of Covid-19 about taking a road trip with our M3 SR+. We thought it would be the perfect opportunity to do a round trip cross country road trip knowing that all we need is an internet/hotspot to keep up with work. We don’t have children yet, so we thought we wouldn’t have an opportunity like this again and both found out our offices are not opening back up until end of summer. With that in mind, and knowing that Natl Parks have started their reopening process, we made a route map based on superchargers and locations we want to visit/see!

It has been a little hard figuring out the the supercharging maps because the trip planner portion of the Tesla website doesn’t have M3 SR+ (Which stinks btw, they should definitely add that) so we based it off of MX SR+ because it’s the closest EPA range. At least, that was our thinking and logic behind using the MX option on the site. (Yes, we also have EVTO-TESLA Trip Optimizer, but truthfully I don’t love the interface and found it easier to work off of Tesla trip planner using the MX on my computer).

We purchased a Tesmat online so we can camp in the car on the nights we don’t stay at a hotel (we’ve broken it down so about 70% of our trip is camping, 30% is staying at hotels) and spent a night testing it out. — I could do an entire post on the Tesmat, the product is awesome. Depending on your size, you may consider it a tad thin if you are large, but we just bought like a 15 buck mattress topper and put it on over the Tesmat and it feels awesome. Shameless plug: if you are interested in camping in car you should get one: TESMAT use coupon code: TesmatReferralM3 (*I am not the creator or owner or anything, just highly endorse the product because it’s sweet and I like cool things).

Anyways, I know it’s been done once or twice on TMC, but I’ve never seen anyone talk about round trip. So I’ve created this post as a place I can update throughout the trip. I’m not a YouTuber or anything, so I wouldn’t record the trip (my wife would also kill me if I tried recording our whole trip), but I’m hoping I learn a few tips and tricks along the way to make it worth while for someone considering a round trip cross country camping road trip in the future. It will also be fun to use (mostly) just superchargers and test out new ones along different states. I believe we’re hitting roughly 21/22 states along the way.

Lastly, I am humbly asking for advice! I’m an east coast guy and have never taken the Tesla west of the Mississippi before. Any advice based on our map would be extremely welcomed! Thoughts, advice, prayers, whatever you got we’ll take re cross country camping trip. I have attached our planned trip below in a picture.

Hope to talk with you all soon—
Thanks!

A4745D88-AEF3-45C2-B3DE-D08F041F94AB.jpeg

Did some of that a couple years ago in my LR. Have fun!!

Consider campsites like KOAs (I used RV Parky app) for a good way to charge and sleep with nearby plumbing between hotels (PlugShare helped me find hotels/restaurants with charging - like to support those who support us). Bring your 14-50 (and regular plug just in case) pigtail(s) for campsites or other charging opportunities; one hotel didn’t have charging but offered an outlet by the pool for a slow 30 miles while I slept. Remember, not all rest stops or WalMarts let you park/sleep overnight (California) but some do even if it’s not supposed to be allowed.

I’d recommend a bit more time near Arches since there’s also Canyonlands and Capitol Reef; you’ll love the drive from Bryce to CR on route 12 so allow extra time for photo stops. Moab has a couple of good hotels with charging; I spent two days at the Homewood Suites (laundry, free breakfast) and they even let me plug in during lunch in town after I’d checked out to visit Canyonland then was driving back through. Oh, and if you haven’t already, be sure to get your National Parks pass. Still have to wait in line but won’t have to pay for each park (except state parks like Canyonlands). Pays for itself so quickly!

If you’re planning to drive through the night, occasionally, know that superchargers may be 24/7 but not all are near 24/7 restrooms.

Unfortunately, certain parts of the west are cell slow areas so be prepared for that (especially if you have the same carrier for your phones and hotspot). Also, don’t forget that mountain driving will mess with your estimated range so have an out but, as long as you don’t push the envelope too much, the computer will have your back.

By the time you get halfway, you’ll have a routine and be wishing you had more time. If you get that notion, go north and enjoy places like Devil’s Tower and Badlands!

Worth saying twice, have fun!!

Last edited:
Spent many a night in our 3 and S. 30 some odd days was the longest I have done. Maybe a bit more time at spots that are intresting as other have suggested if you have time. I love national forests and often sleep at river access points within them. I like the non campground / non parking lot. Figure out my charge prior to arriving, and have plenty to go in morning.

I also love state parks. Like Kodachrome Basin State Park vs. Bryce Canyon. Love both and have been to both many times, yet Kodachrome I have stayed at while being with just a few people while Bryce was packed. Sometimes the headliners get the crowds while the gems stay hidden.

Have a great trip.

Recently camped in Indiana Dunes State Park and have some new info regarding camp mode:

1) bring something to cover the screen at night since the campfire persists;
2) even if you don't plan to keep hvac running, turn on camp mode ASAP to disable headlights as a good neighbor;
3) camp mode also disables sentry mode and walk away lock so lock with the app/card or turn off camp mode when hiking, etc.;
4) if using bluetooth audio from device (mine was iOS) during camp mode, car may disconnect from device when not in use (not sure how long it takes but no more than 18 hours) and may require reboot, delete, re-pairing in order to work again.

Side note (likely, not useful for your trip), this was my first time doing it with HeatShield window covers instead of an amalgam of sheets, blankets, and towels. They are definitely easier to pack up and I'd probably get quicker at installing them (first attempt took about as much time as installing the amalgam by the end of my 5 week trip) so I think they're worth the price. Unfortunately, the suction cups don't really do the trick (especially on the lower rear glass and any windows of doors you open) and there are light gaps; not much chance of people seeing in but not blackout. Also, rolling them as intended for storage means they curl inward when installed so that increases the light gaps.

Looking forward to reports of a great trip!

From Las Vegas take the North Shore Highway into Overton, NV and skip the Valley of Fire. It isn't worth the admission cost for a drive through. You can rejoin I-15 just south of Mesquite. The scenic drive though Red Rock Canyon very close to Las Vegas is better than Valley of Fire.
Unfortunately you are entering Zion from the West. Traffic is terrible from the West. I always enter from the East early in the day.

From San Diego go to Indio and through Joshua Tree National Park into 29 Palms where they have a Supercharger. From there go through Amboy and Kelso. You can rejoin I-15 just South of Primm, NV.

Reactions: BitJam
Recently camped in Indiana Dunes State Park and have some new info regarding camp mode:

2) even if you don't plan to keep hvac running, turn on camp mode ASAP to disable headlights as a good neighbor;
3) camp mode also disables sentry mode and walk away lock so lock with the app/card or turn off camp mode when hiking, etc.;
4) if using bluetooth audio from device (mine was iOS) during camp mode, car may disconnect from device when not in use (not sure how long it takes but no more than 18 hours) and may require reboot, delete, re-pairing in order to work again.

Side note (likely, not useful for your trip), this was my first time doing it with HeatShield window covers instead of an amalgam of sheets, blankets, and towels. They are definitely easier to pack up and I'd probably get quicker at installing them (first attempt took about as much time as installing the amalgam by the end of my 5 week trip) so I think they're worth the price. Unfortunately, the suction cups don't really do the trick (especially on the lower rear glass and any windows of doors you open) and there are light gaps; not much chance of people seeing in but not blackout. Also, rolling them as intended for storage means they curl inward when installed so that increases the light gaps.

Excellent. I'm jealous.

Did you mention if you had the nema 6-30 plug or adapter as well? I saw on plugshare there's RV park that only has that. Also bring a 30-50ft high gauge extension cord for either nema 14-50 or the 5-15. I noted many random places may have the 120v but not long enough to reach.

Take many photos! Take some videos too. We did a 10day in ICE and it was epic. I'll never forget that trip.

Excellent. I'm jealous.

Did you mention if you had the nema 6-30 plug or adapter as well? I saw on plugshare there's RV park that only has that. Also bring a 30-50ft high gauge extension cord for either nema 14-50 or the 5-15. I noted many random places may have the 120v but not long enough to reach.

"30 amp" at campgrounds are TT-30, not 6-30. A TT-30 is 120V, whereas 6-30 is 240V. Tesla doesn't offer UMC adapters for either one. But evseadapters does. (E.g., TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters) It is a good thing to carry when visiting smaller and more remote campgrounds. I also recommend carrying a 5-20 adapter - as you'll often find them at hotel/motel parking lots. It will allow charging at 16 amps for a couple extra MPH over a 5-15.

"30 amp" at campgrounds are TT-30, not 6-30. A TT-30 is 120V, whereas 6-30 is 240V. Tesla doesn't offer UMC adapters for either one. But evseadapters does. (E.g., TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters) It is a good thing to carry when visiting smaller and more remote campgrounds. I also recommend carrying a 5-20 adapter - as you'll often find them at hotel/motel parking lots. It will allow charging at 16 amps for a couple extra MPH over a 5-15.
Wow I didn't know because I bought a Walmart adapter that goes TT-30 to nema 14-50. And can just manually lower amp draw to like 24amp. For me this is an absolute back up to a back up. I haven't tried it nor do I have any TT-30 arounds

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous!!

• Love
Reactions: BerkshireEV
Wow I didn't know because I bought a Walmart adapter that goes TT-30 to nema 14-50. And can just manually lower amp draw to like 24amp. For me this is an absolute back up to a back up. I haven't tried it nor do I have any TT-30 arounds

If your Walmart adapter is designed for RVs, it won't work for the Tesla. Reason being they put the 120V hot from the TT-30 plug on both the 240V hots on the 14-50 receptacle. (TT-30 neutral goes to 14-50 neutral.) So there will be zero voltage between the two 240V hot slots in the 14-50 receptacle.

Excellent. I'm jealous.

Take many photos! Take some videos too. We did a 10day in ICE and it was epic. I'll never forget that trip.

Thanks!! I just purchased a 30-50 amp converter for the NEMA that comes with Teslas. I hadn't thought of an extension - since the house cord is pretty long. We will see how this goes as the first night will be at a KOA ( they've never had ”just a Tesla” stay and we're unsure how to charge me for the night - too funny )

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous!!
Take a detour to Palo Duro Canyon Canyon Texas

Nice! Will do

The road trip begins!!

6500 Mile Furlough Inspired Road Trip

The first night at a KOA. Easy enough to connect to the site power with the 220 connection that came with the car (no adapter was needed). The electricity was less than $5.

I was the first Tesla or EV to stay at the site and not have an RV. They weren't sure what to charge, but I was happy with everything totaling ~$30.00
EPIC!
NEMA14-50 right? I'm glad it worked out. Did you guys pitch some tents or slept in the car? what was the lodging situation? That's the barrier for me to do these trips, I'm a city boy who have never camped