Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip coming up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking my first EV road trip in a few weeks - a little over 1,000 miles each way. I tend to overplan and this trip is no exception.

General advice?
Advice:
Use only V3 Superchargers (250KW, no power-sharing between stalls) when possible.

(Power-sharing really extends charging time on V2 and V1 Superchargers.)

Bring a squeegee and some window cleaner and paper towels.

Relax.

Never leave home without a mobile charger. Has saved my baconator more than once.
If you're out in the boonies where there are likely more RV campgrounds than chargers, I'd also recommend a TT030 adapter and 14-50 adapter for the Tesla mobile charger. The 14-50 can be acquired from Tesla easily, the TT can be found here: TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2

a word of caution we moved to Cape Coral 11 years ago retired.
Hurricanes Irma and Ian persuaded us time to move inland & higher ground, so we are doing so. friends on Sanibel didn't drown during Ian because house on stilts and only walls .siding not roof blown off while island underwater during storm surge (im serious)
I think the only damage our friends had was the patio screen and a boat blown off its lift. That's also why we're going in February / March. :)

Back in September we drove our M3LR to my son’s wedding in Spokane, WA from Raleigh, NC. It was 5,880 miles in three days out, five days back. We had ZERO issues with charging or stops.

We planned our overnights at hotels with destination chargers or superchargers in their parking lots. We did the same with as many meals and bio breaks as we could. This is SUPER helpful. We spent very little time waiting for the car to charge while we did nothing.

We plotted the whole route with ABRP, which was pretty accurate, but we navigated piecemeal via the car, and accepted or skipped the Tesla supercharger recommendations as we went along. We stopped at attractions along the way whenever they looked interesting. Autopilot drove 97% of the trip. We’d totally do it again.

Water & snacks inside the car. Jackets & rain gear at the ready. Destination luggage buried in the trunk, travel hotel luggage in the frunk or on top in the trunk. Spare tire & jack, mobile charger & adapters.

Enjoy your first long trip. Tesla’s supercharger network has you well-covered.
Thanks for the confirmation. This is pretty much spot-on to my thinking.

Thanks for this! Didn't even think about it.

One more thought:

The car's NAV is accurate but conservative with regard to charging. It aims to have you arrive at Superchargers at 20% SOC or more. While that's the safest plan, you can save overall travel time if you're comfortable arriving at <20%.

That said, I generally charge about 5 minutes PAST the notification that I have enough charge to reach my next stop. One never knows, after all...

Last edited:
Reactions: JWhite65
Great advice so far. One more I’d throw in there is to put a regular 15-amp extension cord in the frunk along with the mobile connector. It won’t charge very fast, but if you end up spending the night somewhere that only has a 15amp outdoor outlet and that outlet isn’t convenient to your parking spot it can still let you start the day with 15-20% more charge than the night before. Basically a charger of last resort.

Have a blast!

I won't have any major hills / mountains - north Louisiana / Mississippi / South Alabama / Florida. But yeah, I'd estimate 75 mph avg for interstate driving. I'll make sure all my legs are in the 200 mile or less range and adjust accordingly.
Don't stop at Mobile, AL charger unless you like to hang out at sketchy vacant malls. If it has you stopping there try to make it to Buc-ee's (Robertdale, AL) right before FL line.

Don't stop at Mobile, AL charger unless you like to hang out at sketchy vacant malls. If it has you stopping there try to make it to Buc-ee's (Robertdale, AL) right before FL line.
thank you. we are heading west on I-10 to Austin for Eclipse for heads up.

as an aside, IF you charge in the downtown Rockville, Maryland chargers in parking garage 3rd floor (free to enter exit garage, don't lose ticket) the Tesla Service center nearby uses garage to park over flo Tesla's for service and sales staging (80+ per level so at least 160 there when I charged in January)

• Funny
Reactions: Petermcg
Agree with post #20.

One additional note: when planning a trip with ABRP, be sure to point the navigation to the next Supercharger when you are about to leave the one you are currently at. This causes the car to precondition (heat up) the battery shortly before arriving at the Supercharger to allow for faster charging. Without preconditioning, you may only see slower fast charging, like 70kW in moderate temperatures.

Reactions: pnwadventures
Agree with post #20.

One additional note: when planning a trip with ABRP, be sure to point the navigation to the next Supercharger when you are about to leave the one you are currently at. This causes the car to precondition (heat up) the battery shortly before arriving at the Supercharger to allow for faster charging. Without preconditioning, you may only see slower fast charging, like 70kW in moderate temperatures.
I've only navigated to a supercharger once and it was about an hour away. As soon as I started the navigation, the car started preconditioning. An hour away seemed like overkill to me - is that normal?