Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rollin Coal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving back from upstate NY to Pittsburgh, cruising the speed limit, we were passed by a WAY over the limit diesel truck. At the next several lights we found ourselves in a cloud of exhaust so thick we couldn't see through it.

Not sure if we were being "coal rolled" or just a really out of tune truck??!! At least I was able to see it coming in time to shut off the fan and keep that nasty smell/cloud out of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks out of tune to me.
Acceleration from standstill is where diesels naturally emit a lot of soot. Thats why diesel was banned in much of Japan.
Modern emission control devices do a good job, but anything older...

Modern direct injection petrol engines also make a lot of particulate pollution, but they tend to lack the particulate filters on diesels.
The attention of rollin' coal is misplaced compared to where the real toxic pollution comes from now.
http://www.transportenvironment.org/sites/te/files/publications/GDI%20Briefing_final_T%26E_revised.pdf

Some guy tried to do this to me on the way into work this morning. We're both at the light, and just as it's about to turn green (the light for folks turning is yellow), he starts revving his engine and filling the air with smoke. Then he shoots off. Just before his tailpipe hits my window, I realize what he's trying to do and gun it. He tried REALLY hard to keep up, but I left him so far behind, he eventually moved into the right lane behind a row of trucks and stayed there until I could no longer see him.

Guess he was embarrassed he got owned by the prissy pedal.

Some guy tried to do this to me on the way into work this morning. We're both at the light, and just as it's about to turn green (the light for folks turning is yellow), he starts revving his engine and filling the air with smoke. Then he shoots off. Just before his tailpipe hits my window, I realize what he's trying to do and gun it. He tried REALLY hard to keep up, but I left him so far behind, he eventually moved into the right lane behind a row of trucks and stayed there until I could no longer see him.

Guess you "smoked" him!!!!

Well done!

We have been driving through WA, OR, CA, AZ, NM, UT, CO, WY, SD, MN and WI. So far WY was the only place we saw trucks equipped to roll coal; we saw about 4 there. In fact I think one of them tried to get us yesterday, but he started billowing too late and just got the gas cars behind him.

Rollin coal happened to me leaving the wheeling supercharger a few weeks ago. Lots of trucks there due to all the fracking going on in that area. Anyhow a Truck pulled alongside me on 70 slowed till he was right alongside and then floored it (loud and smokey) I gave him the two finger salute, let him get a mile ahead and then went past him so fast that when he tried rolling his window down to give me his salute I was long gone. He tried to keep up for a mile or so but to no avail... Good times

Last edited:

Yes, we had the same thing; we were rolling up to the red light and heard this guy revving up his Ram truck.
Green light and out came the black cloud, but we were away before it hit. Go Tesla!

Big pick-up with giant stack exhaust (12" in diameter vertical behind the cab) followed us to a red light this morning and pulled in the lane alongside. The lights changed and he rolled a huge plume of black smoke in the air, we pulled away slowly and it didn't affect us at all. My wife did question whether he had such a huge exhaust pipe to compensate for his very small p****s? That was good for a LOL. :-D

Big pick-up with giant stack exhaust (12" in diameter vertical behind the cab) followed us to a red light this morning and pulled in the lane alongside. The lights changed and he rolled a huge plume of black smoke in the air, we pulled away slowly and it didn't affect us at all. My wife did question whether he had such a huge exhaust pipe to compensate for his very small p****s? That was good for a LOL. :-D

Can you imagine the price to add that bit of aftermarket nothingness??? Probably a couple grand for something that doesn't improve performance, safety, appearance. Lotta strange people in this world!

matches their tiny intellect perfectly :wink:

As a pickup truck owner and user, the behavior discussed here embarrasses me no end. Now, the following most definitely is NOT rolling coal, per se, but there is a point those of you who aren't overly familiar with pickups ought consider, however.

Since approximately 2007, US diesel engines in passenger vehicles need be equipped with diesel particulate filters (DPFs). These appear late in the exhaust system, and are moderately analogous to the catalytic convertors with which gasoline engines have been adorned for quite some time.

On regular intervals, these DPFs receive a "burn boost" to oxidize the accumulated soot trapped in the filter. At such time, a properly functioning vehicle will emit a really surprising amount of smoke. Murphy's Law decrees this usually will occur at a red light when three Priuses are arrayed behind same pickup. Now, usually, this smoke will be white rather than black, but not always.

So....if you see a late model diesel pickup belching what appears to be an inordinate amount of smoke, and especially if the driver is not noticeably revving the engine, trying to burn rubber, or so on, there is a good likelihood that he (never seems to be a she...) is, in that sense, innocent, and that the engine and exhaust system is performing as mandated.

Now...I wish my '08 F-350 would so perform. Unfortunately, its ferschliggina DPF never has performed correctly, and I fear I'm in for a ridiculously expensive off-vehicle cleaning of that filter. But that is seriously OT.