Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rollin Coal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe going OT here.... but this is where I think the climate change advocates got off track. The most visible spokesman: Al Gore. When they elect a president of their organization, it is ex-Sierra Club. One thing I learned the hard way... when you are trying to convince people, you get the biggest doubters in the tent so they can bring along the other doubters. Climate Change advocates need to recruit a believer from deep right field to head up their organizations, and Al Gore needs to ride along quietly in the back seat. I've stopped donating and written the organizations on this several times - also volunteering to help. But, they seem to want to perpetuate the insular process of spending all of their money convincing the already-convinced. Somehow, the world needs to un-polarize on this topic.

Maybe someone like GOP Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson advocating a CO2 tax?

So now we know that rolling coal and over feeding ducks are both illegal in California.

[/vain_attempt_ to_stay_on_topic]

:smile: Sorry about that. Though I'm pretty sure Robert gets more blame than me.

ON TOPIC QUESTION: I've seen the trucks with the stacks around here. They do blow black smoke but not nearly as bad as the pictures from the OP's article. Can I assume whenever I see the large pickups with the stacks that they're modified? Or, do some have the stacks just for looks and they are "legal?"

For the record, I wasn't intentionally trolling Raffy.

For completeness, I'm not a fan of the path toward monarchy of the current administration.
Kind of OT, but what makes the current administration any more of a monarchy than any of the previous administrations?

List of United States federal executive orders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going back OT, these rolling smoke tools really annoy me. In CA, all diesels used to be smog exempt, but after enough of these clowns started dumping black clouds of unburnt HCs all over the place (apparently chipping is within the realm of their abilities, but upgrading their turbochargers to supply more air isn't) the state passed AB 1488, and now any diesel newer than 98 needs to be smogged.

Personally, all my diesels are older, so it doesn't bug me a whole lot, but they still ruined a good thing. People complain about government all the time, but there were no issue prior to these idiots rolling around... :cursing:

:smile: Sorry about that. Though I'm pretty sure Robert gets more blame than me.

ON TOPIC QUESTION: I've seen the trucks with the stacks around here. They do blow black smoke but not nearly as bad as the pictures from the OP's article. Can I assume whenever I see the large pickups with the stacks that they're modified? Or, do some have the stacks just for looks and they are "legal?"

Your question is phrased as an exclusive-or... but I don't believe that's necessarily the case.

I know of no pickups sold with stacks in stock form, so any you see are likely aftermarket modified. That can be done legally however... so they can be fully functional (i.e. not just "for looks) AND legal.

Yes, I have heard that the upstacks are preferred by landscapers and other trades who are frequently connecting and disconnecting trailers or otherwise working at the back of their trucks and prefer not to be getting asphyxiated by their diesel exhaust as they do so (unlike the idiot in the video)!

Your question is phrased as an exclusive-or... but I don't believe that's necessarily the case.

I know of no pickups sold with stacks in stock form, so any you see are likely aftermarket modified. That can be done legally however... so they can be fully functional (i.e. not just "for looks) AND legal.

This is a topic that really irritates me. I recently moved to Edmonton, Alberta which is a few hours from what has got to be the epicentre of this culture, Fort McMurray. I've been up there a couple of times, and the level of excessive pickuptruckery hurts my brain. Just this past weekend, I was returning from a friend's cottage halfway between those two cities and in addition to the many modified pickups I passed on their way north I saw my first ever billboard for "Rig-Ready" pickups that encompassed the modifications that have been discussed on here. Not sure if it was through a dealer or independant firm.

I'm lucky if I run into a mere half dozen of these folks a day. These trucks are everywhere up here, a plague of biblical proportions. I haven't seen any with "Prius Repellant" stickser, but I've seen all sorts of stack configurations and rarely are these trucks hauling anything other than the driver. I even once witnessed one of these drivers mount a snow pile (The ones that snow removal equipment create in parking lots) at a movie theater in some sort of peacock like display of idiocy.

I know of no pickups sold with stacks in stock form, so any you see are likely aftermarket modified.

Not exactly current, but Dodge made these in the late '80's with the stacks stock from the factory:

express-truck.jpg