Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to @Jeff N 's article, they will be remotely updating them so that they fall back to uncooled 50kW operation when the cooling system goes offline until they get the full fix installed from Efacec. Right now, the whole charger goes offline and a technician has to physically visit the site to bring it back up.

According to @Jeff N 's article, they will be remotely updating them so that they fall back to uncooled 50kW operation when the cooling system goes offline until they get the full fix installed from Efacec. Right now, the whole charger goes offline and a technician has to physically visit the site to bring it back up.
And then that pesky e-tron comes by and kills it again if they try to enable more than 50 kW.

Or so I imagine.

I'm imagining a single i-Pace or E-tron running around the SE killing CCS chargers. After all, no other CCS EV comes anywhere near pulling 100 kW.

And then that pesky e-tron comes by and kills it again if they try to enable more than 50 kW.

Are you just making this up or are I-Pace's really causing the problem? (The article said that the problem was the liquid cooling system for the cable was leaking, which I doubt has anything to do with a specific care charging at the location.)

Are you just making this up or are I-Pace's really causing the problem? (The article said that the problem was the liquid cooling system for the cable was leaking, which I doubt has anything to do with a specific care charging at the location.)
He's just letting his imagination run wild. The charger vendor is Efacec and the fault is the cooling system they purchased from an outside vendor. Efacec has identified the problem and just need to come up with new parts to install in all their stations to fix the problem. Until then, they will randomly shut down.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
He's just letting his imagination run wild. The charger vendor is Efacec and the fault is the cooling system they purchased from an outside vendor. Efacec has identified the problem and just need to come up with new parts to install in all their stations to fix the problem. Until then, they will randomly shut down.
Right, so instead of randomly shutting down EA is rolling out a software update to those units to disable their liquid-cooling system and limit their charge rate (really current limit) to “50 kW” or something like that. In other words, until the real fix comes along they will be operating these Efacec units as conventional cable chargers at lower power.

Right, so instead of randomly shutting down EA is rolling out a software update to those units to disable their liquid-cooling system and limit their charge rate (really current limit) to “50 kW” or something like that. In other words, until the real fix comes along they will be operating these Efacec units as conventional cable chargers at lower power.
That makes sense given the problem they have.

• Disagree
Reactions: transpondster
Speaking of "absolutely clean", the German court just found that there is additional cheating software installed in the new control code:

Volkswagen's Dieselgate software fix has another cheat device: German court

Some recommendations for the prison management when these VW execs arrive for their long "vacation":
1) Cancel the suicide watch
2) Deliver extra long bed sheets so they can rest very comfortably

RT

Speaking of "absolutely clean", the German court just found that there is additional cheating software installed in the new control code:

Volkswagen's Dieselgate software fix has another cheat device: German court

Mind-boggling! To do this in the middle of Dieselgate... I'm out of words...

I used to be an Audi owner and my wife used to have a VW Golf. Now we own Teslas and I simply can't imagine what circumstances would have to arise for me to be willing to voluntarily purchase an Audi, VW, Porsche or other vehicle from the VW Group.

Decades, even a century of proud names and reputations... completely down the toilet.

Alan

P.S. @RT, did you used to post quarterly summaries of premium sedan / sport sedan sales here in USA? If so, can you point me to where they've gone? I loved seeing those numbers. Thanks.

P.P.S. I didn't know how to rate your post of the VW article. I mean... did I love it? Did I agree with it? Was it funny? No, no, no. It's a horror! And yet it is the article that I'm going to be thinking about all day and likely referring back to many times over the next few weeks and months. There doesn't appear to be a rating for, "bringing me absolutely fascinating, grateful-to-know, horrifying, craptacular news that will influence me for weeks, months, even years" but if there was such a rating, I'd definitely award it to you in this case. I settled for "informative", which just doesn't even begin to do justice to your post of this article. Thank you.

P.P.P.S. Can't stop thinking about it yet. Yes, I could have rated the post funny based on your advice to the possible German prison management team. But I'm way too focused on the issue itself.

Can't stop thinking about it yet
Hi Pollux
Did you see the details of the cheat ?

The emissions controls (or at least some of them) are turned off below 10C or above 28C. I can sort of understand the diesel engine performing poorly when cold but I'm stumped by > 28C.

Anyway, this was VW trying to avoid the costs of a buy-back. It is going to be a lot harder for them to evade now, and they get to add the costs of the initial software 'fix' and fines for the additional evasion on top. Next question: who is going to be the fall guy for this latest round of fraud ? Another rogue 'low level engineer' ?

P.S. @RT, did you used to post quarterly summaries of premium sedan / sport sedan sales here in USA? If so, can you point me to where they've gone? I loved seeing those numbers. Thanks.

@Pollux carsalesbase.com was one of the primary sources I used. I forget the other one. I stopped posting the monthly sales spreadsheet that compared Tesla sales to others because many manufacturers stopped posting monthly sales data.

RT

Hi Pollux
Did you see the details of the cheat ?

The emissions controls (or at least some of them) are turned off below 10C or above 28C. I can sort of understand the diesel engine performing poorly when cold but I'm stumped by > 28C.

Anyway, this was VW trying to avoid the costs of a buy-back. It is going to be a lot harder for them to evade now, and they get to add the costs of the initial software 'fix' and fines for the additional evasion on top. Next question: who is going to be the fall guy for this latest round of fraud ? Another rogue 'low level engineer' ?

Yes! I did see those details! In the USA, that equates to "turned off most of the time in winter and summer"!

Alan

@Pollux carsalesbase.com was one of the primary sources I used. I forget the other one. I stopped posting the monthly sales spreadsheet that compared Tesla sales to others because many manufacturers stopped posting monthly sales data.

RT

Thanks, @RT. I'll go look at carsalesbase.com.

Any idea why many manufacturers stopped posting monthly sales data?

Thanks,
Alan

The guy writing the analyses for carbase.com seems... inexperienced? Unwilling to reference vehicles outside the segmentation that this organization reports on? Tesla Model 3 is slotted in as a "Premium Mid-sized" vehicle but the analysis in that segment and others shows no indication that M3 sales could be impacting vehicles in other segments (e.g., Toyota Prius or even Tesla Model S).

I admit I enjoy the absolute ass-whupping M3 is delivering against everything else in its "segment".

I'm looking at the Q2 chart... US car sales analysis 2019 Q2 - Premium Mid-sized segment - carsalesbase.com

Alan

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr