Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip - Which car would you take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely nothing wrong with posting Prius facts; Some people don’t like to hear that; I own a MYP and a 7 year old Prius with over 200K miles, love them both, each have their purpose. 👍🏻
My 2017 Prius Prime's MPGe is 133, while my 2012 MS P85 is 90.

For me, both cars serve our driving needs, hence my reason for the OP. Oddly, most answers have not addressed my three heat related concerns in the OP...

Oh, I have. So far, about 80% in favor for the car in the respective site. Obviously 20% have said use the other car :)
Then you need an arbitrator; Tesla is American…Toyota is Japanese…post it on a BMW/Mercedes website! 😆

For me, both cars serve our driving needs, hence my reason for the OP. Oddly, most answers have not addressed my three heat related concerns in the OP...
For reference…
“However, due to forecasted high heat I'm afraid of (1) exposing to high heat conditions when I have the Prius Prime as an option, (2) slower supercharging imposed due to high heat, and (3) risk of Model S priortizing cooling to battery over interior cabin.”

Boiling it down, what is your concern(s)? Damage to the car; battery, paint, interior, etc? Extra time it’ll take to charge? Or…?

Modeling this trip in ABRP using a Model S 90D as a proxy suggests total charging time of less than an hour.

I don't know how often you stop/stretch/eat/piss on a ~10 hour / 550 mile road trip, but taking the Tesla would add essentially zero time over an ICE for the way I generally travel. My opinion might be different in a chargegated 85.

View attachment 958735
I picked up my 15 S85D a couple months ago near Nashville bringing it home to upstate NY. It wasn't a bad trip but it's definitely a different pace.
I drove generally 10mph slower than I would have in the Prius and stopping every 2 to 3 hours for the better part of an hour(maybe over an hour for at least one stop). But yeah that's completely different than the new models. I've only got about 65kwh of capacity and I can only clear 100kw at single digit charge levels. Most of it is in the 40-60kw range and you get over 80% charge and it's getting around 20kw let alone once you clear 90%

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
I picked up my 15 S85D a couple months ago near Nashville bringing it home to upstate NY. It wasn't a bad trip but it's definitely a different pace.
I drove generally 10mph slower than I would have in the Prius and stopping every 2 to 3 hours for the better part of an hour(maybe over an hour for at least one stop). But yeah that's completely different than the new models. I've only got about 65kwh of capacity and I can only clear 100kw at single digit charge levels. Most of it is in the 40-60kw range and you get over 80% charge and it's getting around 20kw let alone once you clear 90%
Yeah that’s a different trip. Probably wouldn’t tolerate that in most cases.

Reactions: livesmith
My new 2022 built pack has been charging 120ish max kW, 50ish min kW.

The Prius Prime (PP) is actually wonderful travelling car. I had the 3rd Gen Prius before my PP. The PP handles better, has very comfortable seats, and all the current advanced safety features.
If you can keep over 100kw past 20% and/or 50kw past 80% then you're at least doing a lot better than my speeds.

I've still got a 12' Plug in Prius. Yeah I generally prefer my S but there's no contest in which is easier/quicker for longer mileage. And I do kinda miss the heads up display, rear wiper and smaller turning radius of the Prius. Radar cruise works great on either but Tesla gets the win with working at any speed. :)

I love the Owens Valley, the Sierra Nevada range is gorgeous and the little towns very quaint. I just read Mammoth Mountain will be snow skiing into the 1st week of August. When Mammoth is open there is a lot more traffic on 395.

Better let your wife drive south or Ridgecrest. Don‘t know if anyone told you, if you drive a Prius in SoCal you have to turn in your man card.

View attachment 958596
Wow, gorgeous. Contrast is crazy.

If you can keep over 100kw past 20% and/or 50kw past 80% then you're at least doing a lot better than my speeds.

I've still got a 12' Plug in Prius. Yeah I generally prefer my S but there's no contest in which is easier/quicker for longer mileage. And I do kinda miss the heads up display, rear wiper and smaller turning radius of the Prius. Radar cruise works great on either but Tesla gets the win with working at any speed. :)
I know plug in hybrids often get a bad rap, but the 25+ miles range on my 2017 Prius Prime meets 99% of my local needs. If not, then the 50+ mpg kicks in.

That said, nothing compares to my MS. Glad I have a choice.

To each their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: livesmith

What's you current pack situation? Original, replacement, size?

Remember I have a new Tesla replacement pack built in late 2022 that I paid 5 figures to Tesla. Better get faster speeds :)

Last edited:
My 2017 Prius Prime's MPGe is 133, while my 2012 MS P85 is 90.

High temps are bad for batteries. The higher the SoC (above 55%) and the higher the temps, are a double whammy. I keep my battery at 50%. I don't charge it during our daytime temps that are 105F+ and wait to charge just before leaving and then back up to 50% and the ambient temps at least under 90..

I don't know what Tesla does to keep the batteries cool when not driving the car. From what I can tell the liquid cooling only works when the car is running.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
High temps are bad for batteries. The higher the SoC (above 55%) and the higher the temps, are a double whammy. I keep my battery at 50%. I don't charge it during our daytime temps that are 105F+ and wait to charge just before leaving and then back up to 50% and the ambient temps at least under 90..

I don't know what Tesla does to keep the batteries cool when not driving the car. From what I can tell the liquid cooling only works when the car is running.
You're right. This 2020 study looks at (among other things) temperate vs. hot climate conditions and HV battery State of Health.

This is an interesting exchange of ideas. I'd just caution people against assuming that their own experiences, requirements, and desires apply to everyone (or should apply to everyone).

Bruce.

PS. Random thing: I drove a 2005 Prius for 10 years and 206K miles before getting my first Tesla.

That's not my experience. There's a pump noise running on my S85D, that it makes under various circumstances with the car off. One of those times is after Level 2 charging above about 78% SOC. (AC not running, louvers closed.) I can't think of anything that could be except for the battery pack's liquid cooling system. There's a couple threads about this here on TMC, I assumed this was part of the "chargegate" software changes four years ago.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: DayTrippin
What's you current pack situation? Original, replacement, size?

Remember I have a new Tesla replacement pack built in late 2022 that I paid 5 figures to Tesla. Better get faster speeds :)
Just got the car but based on the battery label it looks like an original 2015 85kwh with 314k miles on it that's down to about 65kwh available.
Would LOVE to upgrade to a 100kwh pack (apparently has the best charging for pre refresh as well) but that's about the same as a brand new 90kwh from Tesla...

Take the Tesla I used to live in the Mojave desert where it's 100+for months on end and the car charges just fine. (Only exception was when my louvers were broken/stuck closed).
Nobody is saying it won't charge fine. What happens is the high temps accelerate calendar aging of the battery. Or in other words, they accelerate the degradation of the battery. For people who aren't keeping their car for a long time, degradation might not matter.

My car that has lived in a hotter climate than my other car has about 4 times the battery degradation. Factor in SC use in a very hot climate and that isn't likely to extend the life of your battery either.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Nobody is saying it won't charge fun. What happens is the high temps accelerate calendar aging of the battery. Or in other words, they accelerate the degradation of the battery. For people who aren't keeping their car for a long time, degradation might not matter.

My car that has lived in a hotter climate than my other car has about 4 times the battery degradation. Factor in SC use in a very hot climate and that isn't likely to extend the life of your battery either.
Do you really think a few hours driving and supercharging in a hot climate on a road trip is going to have ANY measurable or material effect on the long term health of the battery?

OP is talking about driving through the eastern Sierras to San Diego. He’ll be driving through the desert for maybe 4 hours of the trip. San Diego is pretty famously one of the most temperate places on earth. ;)

These cars are not Fabergé eggs. Questioning whether or not you should take it on a road trip in the “hot” is not something any of us should even be talking about if we actually want people to adopt EVs.

At 175,000 miles and 6.5 years in a hot climate (it was 110 when I was out running errands today) my car has ~15% degradation. It’s stayed almost perfectly flat for the past 2 years. IMO, that’s fantastic. There’s nothing to worry about.

Preference is one thing, but being scared to drive in the hot is not a valid reason to not take the Tesla.