Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip - Which car would you take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you haven't yet taken a road trip with the Tesla, do it!! You'll love it or you'll hate it, but either way, you'll know. Personally I love it. Sure, you are constrained to stop at places with Superchargers but I don't find that particularly inconvenient. As far as the "fun factor" it's no contest. 1100 miles in a Prius sounds pretty grim. You'll be amazed how quickly the miles fly by in Tesla. I agree with the consensus the heat concerns you raise will be a non-issue for this trip. Lastly, free supercharging? Lucky! I'm a cheapskate; $0 fuel costs would absolutely decide the issue for me.

Reactions: SO16 and NV Ray
Given you have a choice, which car would you take?

Will be doing round trip from Reno/Tahoe to San Diego next week. Google Maps indicates 563 miles x 2 for 1126 miles. Starting elevation 4500', max 8330', min sea level. Just my spouse and I.

Due to heat forecasted between 95-108 degrees along most of the route, I'm leaning to taking my 2017 Prius Prime.

My 2012 Tesla P85 has free Supercharging and a new 2022 high voltage pack. 90% state of charge is 244 miles. However, due to forecasted high heat I'm afraid of (1) exposing to high heat conditions when I have the Prius Prime as an option, (2) slower supercharging imposed due to high heat, and (3) risk of Model S priortizing cooling to battery over interior cabin.

View attachment 958556
I vote for the Prius hands down; Peace of mind is top priority; No anxiety, no worries 👍🏻 Enjoy

Being able to get to the next SC; Watching your speed, making sure your going at the proper speed dictated by the next schedule location. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’ve driven 175,000 miles all over the Western US in EVs. Literally none of that is any concern whatsoever. Like I said, it’s 2023. In California. Just get in and drive. Stop when necessary, or when you want to. Go as fast as you want.

There is zero cause for anxiety.

IMG_9463.jpeg

I’ve driven 175,000 miles all over the Western US in EVs. Literally none of that is any concern whatsoever. Like I said, it’s 2023. In California. Just get in and drive. Stop when necessary, or when you want to. Go as fast as you want.

There is zero cause for anxiety.

View attachment 958728
The reason one wants to go fast is to get to your destination quickly; Oops 🤔 If you do that then you must make an unwanted pit stop for about 20-40 minutes and that will set you back again😬 defeat your purpose. Tortoise and the Hare 😂🤣

The purpose you just made up when you changed your argument from anxiety to speed? 😂

My only purpose on most of my trips is to be comfortable and enjoy the drive. Two concepts that are generally incompatible with a Prius. ;)
I dunno, I've had a few Priuses and I have no problem with comfort. Sure, if you're talking about flinging the car and at speed then the Tesla can be more fun but that wouldn't generally be what I'd be thinking about on a long trip.

The biggest difference in my mind for a long trip is going to be all that added supercharger time unless to that new pack charges a lot faster than my 15 85d.

That said, the only concern listed seemed to be regarding heat. Seems others have driven in it regularly without issue so I don't know that I would worry too much in that regard...

I dunno, I've had a few Priuses and I have no problem with comfort. Sure, if you're talking about flinging the car and at speed then the Tesla can be more fun but that wouldn't generally be what I'd be thinking about on a long trip.

The biggest difference in my mind for a long trip is going to be all that added supercharger time unless to that new pack charges a lot faster than my 15 85d.

That said, the only concern listed seemed to be regarding heat. Seems others have driven in it regularly without issue so I don't know that I would worry too much in that regard...
My new 2022 built pack has been charging 120ish max kW, 50ish min kW.

The Prius Prime (PP) is actually wonderful travelling car. I had the 3rd Gen Prius before my PP. The PP handles better, has very comfortable seats, and all the current advanced safety features.

Modeling this trip in ABRP using a Model S 90D as a proxy suggests total charging time of less than an hour.

I don't know how often you stop/stretch/eat/piss on a ~10 hour / 550 mile road trip, but taking the Tesla would add essentially zero time over an ICE for the way I generally travel. My opinion might be different in a chargegated 85.

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 6.18.32 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
My Model S is the best highway car that I have ever had - super comfy, quiet, and stable. Prius Prime wheelbase is a little short for highway cruising. Heat is no problem, side winds are a non event, and charging is quick enough that you can hardly finish lunch before idle fees loom.

Reactions: SO16 and NV Ray
The purpose you just made up when you changed your argument from anxiety to speed? 😂

My only purpose on most of my trips is to be comfortable and enjoy the drive. Two concepts that are generally incompatible with a Prius. ;)
You can eliminate Range anxiety and still speed with the Prius.. don’t laugh😃I can do 90-100 mph in my Prius without a problem 😲👍🏻 but it comes down to personal choice.
I love my MYP it’s a Hot Rod, that’s why I bought it. But use my Prius for my monthly visit( From Anaheim to Chandler AZ) One tank full (10.5 Gal)with gasoline to spare. One quick 10 minute stop to relieve my bladder; No issues with bing comfortable, great stereo, awesome A/C

@NV Ray you knew this was going to turn into a religious debate, right? 😀
Orig concern about extreme heat impacting charging has been answered/quelled. The rest is just personal preference. If your top goal is to reach destinations as fast as possible, EVs would never be in the conversation, period.
Debating comfort and stereo systems? “At least I still have AM/FM!!” 😀

@NV Ray you knew this was going to turn into a religious debate, right? 😀
Orig concern about extreme heat impacting charging has been answered/quelled. The rest is just personal preference. If your top goal is to reach destinations as fast as possible, EVs would never be in the conversation, period.
Debating comfort and stereo systems? “At least I still have AM/FM!!” 😀
Radio 😳 ? Hook up my phone fav play list, open hwy and no other worries 🔌 ⚡🤣😂

I just spent over 1k miles in a 2023 Prius in California as a rental. I turned down the Model Y. I have an S (Plaid) and a 3 LR. Absolutely the Prius was a great choice for the miles we drove. It was comfortable, quiet and very efficient. We average about 55 mpg. This made it far cheaper to run than even a Y given SC costs. I figure SC costs typically are a break even with a ICE car that gets about 35 mpg (obviously depends on SC and gas costs).

We could easily go over 500 miles on a tank with no issue. We spent a lot of time up near triple digits too. I'd take even take the hybrid Prius over your S hands down. The driver's aids are pretty good on the Prius. Honestly, if something happened to our 3, I'd probably go buy the 2023 Prius Prime. I'd miss the acceleration a bit but an awesome car for road trips and commuting.

Reactions: Msicario and NV Ray
I just spent over 1k miles in a 2023 Prius in California as a rental. I turned down the Model Y. I have an S (Plaid) and a 3 LR. Absolutely the Prius was a great choice for the miles we drove. It was comfortable, quiet and very efficient. We average about 55 mpg. This made it far cheaper to run than even a Y given SC costs. I figure SC costs typically are a break even with a ICE car that gets about 35 mpg (obviously depends on SC and gas costs).

We could easily go over 500 miles on a tank with no issue. We spent a lot of time up near triple digits too. I'd take even take the hybrid Prius over your S hands down. The driver's aids are pretty good on the Prius. Honestly, if something happened to our 3, I'd probably go buy the 2023 Prius Prime. I'd miss the acceleration a bit but an awesome car for road trips and commuting.
Absolutely nothing wrong with posting Prius facts; Some people don’t like to hear that; I own a MYP and a 7 year old Prius with over 200K miles, love them both, each have their purpose. 👍🏻