Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Salt effects on the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd bring this thread back from the grave as winter approaches. Since I just ordered a winter set of wheels/tires, I plan to drive our car daily (except in the worst storms/accumulating snow/ice) this winter. Does Tesla recommend anything as far as undercarriage rinsing, or is it "just like any other car" under there? Obviously salt + batteries isn't a happy combo, but hopefully the salt will never reach the batteries.

Just curious if there's anything official, or unofficial, out there about winter/road salt issues.

Just curious if there's anything official, or unofficial, out there about winter/road salt issues.

There's nothing official (that I know of) but what's been posted in the forum is that most commercial washes recycle the water and it will have a lot of dissolved salt it in. The aluminum won't rust, but there have been a couple of instances where Tesla has replaced parts where the aluminum was next to some other metal and corroded. This isn't a generic problem, there were a few cars that didn't have enough isolation between the metal types. I think DougG had one of those cars. So the best advice seems to be:

1. Wash regularly but be careful if using a commercial car wash not to spray underneath.

2. Use a waterless washing system at home if possible.

3. Find some used 19" wheels so your good summer wheels don't get messed up. You'll need separate snow tires anyway.

Have you had good results with waterless washes? Posts here and elsewhere seem to indicate you should stay far, far away. I took my chances with rust on my current car, which also being aluminum, has turned out OK.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...es-with-Water-less-Washes?highlight=waterless

I'm not in a salt area, but the waterless wash system I was thinking of (I live in a drought area) was not just a bottle of stuff, which is what that thread is about.

I'm not in a salt area, but the waterless wash system I was thinking of (I live in a drought area) was not just a bottle of stuff, which is what that thread is about.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I watched the videos for that, and it's just a machine that sprays a thin mist of the stuff on the car. If you don't want to buy the machine, you can buy the exact same stuff in a spray bottle. I don't understand how that's different than what was damaging everyones paint.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I watched the videos for that, and it's just a machine that sprays a thin mist of the stuff on the car. If you don't want to buy the machine, you can buy the exact same stuff in a spray bottle. I don't understand how that's different than what was damaging everyones paint.

Different chemicals, more even, and likely thicker, application. Also all my paint is protected by paint armour. What I don't know is if their substance is paint armour friendly.

A friend of mine used to collect Range Rovers from the 70s. I remember how the aluminum body panels on some of his Range Rovers were severely corroded where they attached to the steel body frame. I had a 72 Rover 3500 myself. Only the hood and trunk lid were aluminum on that car and these aluminum parts had lasted very well compared to the rest of the (steel) body, except under the large badge on the hood. Under the badge there was a huge hole and white powder. The badge was made of another metal. It seemed like the aluminum parts either lasted much longer than the steel panels on these cars or completely disintegrated into powder where it came into contact with other metals, whereas the steel parts just rusted more evenly all over.
Now that there are steel pieces on the MS I am concerned that the same thing can happen. Thinking of for example steel b-pillar inserts, steel bumpers, steel rails and lid on the battery pack and of course plenty of steel bolts. What do you think?

As I wait for my 85D to be delivered, I am looking at how we will keep it clean in the winter to wash off the road salt, so thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if there's new advice from seasoned owners. Do the wraps like Xpel stand up to any commercial washing? Also wondering about how or if we should worry about the battery with all the slush and treatments our roads get.