Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide 2014 S85 USC vs 2019 3 LR FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need a road trip car I can sleep in. I’m 6’3” and skinny frame. The S has 140k miles with a 2 year old motor. Original battery. Leather seats and in decent shape for its age. Free supercharging and premium connectivity.
The 3 has 34k miles and has the accelerator boost with included FSD (pic attached)
With the $4k rebate I can have the S at about $10k out the door and the 3 $20k. Is the 3 a no-brainer?

Attachments

• IMG_8676.jpeg
    IMG_8676.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 25
I assume you're going to sleep in the trunk or liftback, therefore S.

other considerations:
1. you can buy a refurb battery for approximately that price difference at re:cell, in case the 2014 battery dies. and if you're road tripping, perhaps that FUSC can pre-pay that new one day (hopefully, a long time from now) battery.

2. FSD sounds nice for a lot of highway miles! but keep in mind that if you're FSD-ing with passengers, most pax hate FSD.

I assume you're going to sleep in the trunk or liftback, therefore S.

other considerations:
1. you can buy a refurb battery for approximately that price difference at re:cell, in case the 2014 battery dies. and if you're road tripping, perhaps that FUSC can pre-pay that new one day (hopefully, a long time from now) battery.

2. FSD sounds nice for a lot of highway miles! but keep in mind that if you're FSD-ing with passengers, most pax hate FSD.
Thank you!

I have similar cars. I would choose the model 3 for $20k over the 2014 model S for $10k.

If you choose the model S, just go ahead and put the $ you saved in a pot to use for model S repairs. The rear drive unit on that vintage model S has a high failure rate. And expect supercharging to be very s.l.o.w. Here is a comparison I recently did:
IMG_7244.jpeg

Thanks, the S was supercharging when I saw it and it was charging at over 100kW.
The motor on the S miraculously never failed, but was replaced in ‘21 due to coolant in it. Is there a coolant delete add-on for these LDUs?
Also, the 3 has a pretty bad scrape on the front corner and fender.

At what state of charge? Yes, I see 100 kW for my 2013 model S but it is ever so brief at very low state of charge.
I don’t remember exactly but SoC was over 60%
If the S85 has MCU1, you can use openpilot and use Tesla's interface with it so it looks factory. Bonus, not as many nags.
I never even heard of openpilot. I just read a website called Tinkla and looks really cool and something I’d want to do. Any resources you’d recommend?

I don’t remember exactly but SoC was over 60%
That would be astounding to be getting 100 kW at 60% SOC on a 2014 Model S 85, presumably with original battery? That is close to the rate in a new model S.

Here are the kW curves corresponding to the miles added curves I provided above.
IMG_7245.jpeg

Individual cars can vary, and individual charging sessions for a car can vary, but these are pretty typical for mine.

@Michael Henry
Does the 2014 Model S have Autopilot? Only cars built after about September had the hardware. If not, then the Model 3 will be better for road trips. It will not be as spacious to sleep in, but good enough for most people. FSD should be fine for highway use, objections from passengers are only a city street thing in my experience. Since it has FSD, you also have the option to just use basic Autopilot if you prefer.

GSP

Reactions: Bigriver
@Michael Henry
Does the 2014 Model S have Autopilot? Only cars built after about September had the hardware. If not, then the Model 3 will be better for road trips. It will not be as spacious to sleep in, but good enough for most people. FSD should be fine for highway use, objections from passengers are only a city street thing in my experience. Since it has FSD, you also have the option to just use basic Autopilot if you prefer.

GSP
Thanks. The 2014 does not have autopilot.

I couldn’t get FSD to engage, do you need the app for that? Also, do you have to subscribe to a connectivity package?
You don’t need the app for FSD. You just need to go to the autopilot menu in the car to accept the terms of FSD Beta.

The car will have standard connectivity for free. Premium connectivity is $10/month or $100/year. Premium gives you media streaming, satellite view for maps and traffic visualization.

Reactions: Michael Henry
You don’t need the app for FSD. You just need to go to the autopilot menu in the car to accept the terms of FSD Beta.

The car will have standard connectivity for free. Premium connectivity is $10/month or $100/year. Premium gives you media streaming, satellite view for maps and traffic visualization.
Thanks. I did accept the terms but didn’t know how to enter in my destination.

Just a follow-up. The model 3 was purchased from a local dealership that my brother works at. It had a small scrape/dent in it and he sold it to me at basically his cost.
I completed a 5k+ mile road trip and FSD proved to be invaluable for some the of sleepy drives I took.
I also took out the rear bench which allowed the rear seats to fold down flat which made sleeping in the back very comfortable with an air mattress. It also allowed the passenger seat to recline further, creating a comfortable sleeping space for my daughter.
The 250kW charging was amazing as well. 15 minute stops are so much nicer on long trips than 45 minute stops.
Thanks again to everyone who gave their 2 cents. Also, the 3 fits so much better in my garage than an S.

Reactions: Takumi and Bigriver