Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rip vin p01653

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just trying to think if it was pre-diagnostic port lock down or not... not that it matters a whole lot.

Usually Tesla stops letting cars update once they are offline for a while.

I was just trying to think if it was pre-diagnostic port lock down or not... not that it matters a whole lot.

Usually Tesla stops letting cars update once they are offline for a while.
FYI, Pre 5.8.4 was a free for all access(no rolling codes ect.). 5.8.4 came out around the time this car got totaled, so it's a toss up.

Not really, if you can get into a Dealers Auto Auction, Like Copart, you can pick up Functional Model S's for ~30k.

Define functional. I have yet to see a functional model s that doesnt need any work in the 30s. Coparts main focus is dealing with salvaged vehicles so this is a bit surprising.

If you come across one in the 30s with no work needed Ill give you a heck of a finders fee.:biggrin:

Can p01653 be made road worthy again?

I also wonder about the condition of the battery. They don't have my UMC...so the battery's likely been sitting uncharged since early July.

Can someone explain what a UMC is and the significance?

I also saw p01653 listed on ebay, relatively close to me (250 miles), and was intrigued. I googled the VIN and eventually ended up on this thread.

There was some allusion in the thread about Tesla not having anything to do with totaled cars. Does that mean that they won't allow this car to become a functional car again? If it were repaired would it be able to:

use a supercharger?
have the 8 year battery warranty?
be able to be serviced by Tesla?

I may have the skill set to be able to get p01653 back on the road, if not in perfect cosmetic condition. My main worries are:
1) the main battery
2) the panoramic roof

Concerning the battery, the ebay seller says he can drive the car around the neighborhood and the battery seems to say it is OK. But he also says he cannot charge it at his house because he does not have the right charging cable. Does this sound right or is this a warning sign?

Concerning the glass roof, the ebay seller says he tried to replace it once but he broke the new replacement. This makes me wonder if the roof structure of the car is distorted from the collision. Todd said that the car went through a portable basketball hoop which slammed into the roof. Todd, can you provide any more color on how much damage was done to the roof of the car?

Can someone explain what a UMC is and the significance?

UMC is "Universal Mobile Connector". It's basically the charging cable for the car that is usually used for plugging into an outlet in your garage. When the car was towed away, the charging cable wasn't with it, and they never grabbed it. I don't know that the battery was left without a charge for a long time. As I recall, at the time of the accident the battery was around 85% charged, so it had plenty of juice. Also, it's likely that the Tesla-authorized body shop they took it to had a charger.

Concerning the battery, the ebay seller says he can drive the car around the neighborhood and the battery seems to say it is OK. But he also says he cannot charge it at his house because he does not have the right charging cable. Does this sound right or is this a warning sign?

The UMC can be purchased from Tesla for $650, which includes a storage bag and a few adapters for different outlets (NEMA 14-50 and standard 120v NEMA 5-15). Given that the car has 120 miles of range remaining in that screenshot, I can't imagine he'd be driving it around without some way to charge it.

Concerning the glass roof, the ebay seller says he tried to replace it once but he broke the new replacement. This makes me wonder if the roof structure of the car is distorted from the collision. Todd said that the car went through a portable basketball hoop which slammed into the roof. Todd, can you provide any more color on how much damage was done to the roof of the car?

I can unequivocally tell you there was no distortion to the roof. The car hit the basketball hoop with the nose. It easily gave way, and the hoop came over and hit the panoramic sunroof. The sunroof was open at the time (hot July day). I guess the hoop caught the glass and ripped it out of the opening. After the accident, except for the front end of the car, the pano roof, and the right rear wheel, you would think the car was new. I found the glass from the pano roof about 30 feet behind where the car came to a stop. I don't believe the hinges that hold the glass are intended to be super-strong, so the glass broke free from the roof without any distortion to the roof structure. (It was a flimsy basketball hoop anyway).

As I recall, there was literally no other damage to the roof--not even a scratch.

Of course I haven't had custody since, so don't know if any damage has been inflicted since.

Todd, thanks so much for responding, and providing that additional info about the roof structure.

One last question. Do you think there is a chance that the battery was damaged, or even subjected to superficial damage in the accident. What I am thinking about is that you said the right rear suspension broke loose (looks like the lower arm). Could that have resulted in the car sliding along the ground ON the battery, producing visible external damage (even if not meaningful internal damage).

Todd, thanks so much for responding, and providing that additional info about the roof structure.

One last question. Do you think there is a chance that the battery was damaged, or even subjected to superficial damage in the accident. What I am thinking about is that you said the right rear suspension broke loose (looks like the lower arm). Could that have resulted in the car sliding along the ground ON the battery, producing visible external damage (even if not meaningful internal damage).

There was absolutely no battery damage at all. It was not sliding on the ground. In fact, after the car came to a stop the only error message was "Coolant low" due to the fact that the coolant line was pierced and leaking.

Todd, I've got this car now, fixing it up for a friend who is a long-time TESLA nut and he is very excited about it!

I have a few questions for you though; The airbag light is on, did the airbags go off in the accident? (if they did they have all been replaced b/c all are intact now)
The cut loop for emergency personnel is gone did they cut it when rescuing it?

If you wouldn't mind could you email me at srschere at asu dot edu, I would really appreciate it... The forum has cut off my PM'ing ability due to some political BS with the company I work for, so I have to keep putting my personal email out like this...