Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable Door Handles - Is It Practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope they don't ditch the retractable handles. I think it's an excellent feature and every car should have it. I'm not worried about it not working as it seems like something that would be pretty easy to fix, if they are having issues with it.

Completely agree. I too played with the handles quite a bit at the NY Get Amped event and found them easy after a few repetitions. And I must admit, they are a gadget freak's delight.

So, being out here where I have a better chance to see MSen in the wild, I really hope Tesla doesn't ditch the handles, for their own sake. We've got threads on how there are now cars that seem to have Model S derivative styling out there. On first glance of a really nice looking curvy sedan that might be a Model S, the first thing I glance for is the handles. Instantly and easily recognized from quite a distance, it's really a distinctive feature.

I hope they work out the issues in a way that satisfies all of you.

I hope they work out the issues in a way that satisfies all of you.

I would be satisfied with an option to have the Aston-Martin-like handle that pivots out when pushed. No electric motor involved. And to help you with telling my Model S from an Aston Martin Rapide, I'd stick with the chrome color instead of body color. :cool:

aston-martin-rapide-05.jpg

I was talking to my Ranger today. He said that during the recent mall display they were constantly swarmed with dozens of people, and the first thing everyone would do is go for the door handles. Everyone wanted to make them pop out. A lot of people also tried to push them back in, which they are not designed to do. The Tesla people were far too outnumbered to stop everyone from abusing them. He said he was sure if anything would break them, that would. As it happens the handles survived with absolutely no problem.

If the handle pulls in while your fingers in there, no one except maybe a small ant will get hurt. It's very gentle.

Hi Ben,

On one occassion my wife had her fingers in the handle when they retracked. In her case it wasn't gentle. She showed me the indentation in her finger that resulted. This was with version 4.0 of the software.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Larry

Hi Ben,

On one occassion my wife had her fingers in the handle when they retracked. In her case it wasn't gentle. She showed me the indentation in her finger that resulted. This was with version 4.0 of the software.

Larry

Had this happen in the DC showroom pre-4.0. There was not danger/pain/damage when it closed but my ring did get stuck making it difficult to extract my finger.

Hi Ben,

Larry

A friend of mine had his hand in there and made mention of "will it hurt me?". It retracted and he did have a little pinch mark on his fingers. I feel like it should stop and reverse when it senses a hand or other obstacle. With him, it just stayed there until he pulled his hand free. Then it continued on with closing like nothing happened.

I'd imagine the sensitivity on the handle closing is a really hard line to judge. Too sensitive and it won't close if there's something like ice around the edges causing extra friction. Or perhaps if the motor/mechanisms have more friction as the handles get older.

Supposedly, instead of adding heating elements to melt ice, the motor was jacked up to be able to break through up to 8mm of ice (1/3").

Source please. It makes a difference at what specific temperature as the hardness of the ice may vary. I'm having a hard time imagining how someone could measure specifically that a motor will break 8mm of ice without taking temperature into account.

That sounds like a better solution, 8 mm icebreaking capacity should be enough, and if that fails my propane torch is ready :)

I'm not sure about that 8mm of ice statement. In any case, if you have 8mm of ice covering the door handles, what does the rest of the car look like?....

This was Geneva in 2005 (pics are from the internet, but my wife's cousin was living there and sent us similar photos at the time...):

View attachment 2297View attachment 2298View attachment 2299View attachment 2300

During our delivery the DS closed his own fingers in the door. I also let it close on my fingers (I have a 2-year old and was worried). It didn't hurt or make a mark at all. On my car it just feels like there's a spring to close it - the motor doesn't close the handle, it works against the spring to cause the handle to retract slowly. Wiggling your fingers the handle will move in and out easily. Maybe they changed the mechanism in GP cars? I'll take a video if it's not clear.

I'm not sure about that 8mm of ice statement. In any case, if you have 8mm of ice covering the door handles, what does the rest of the car look like?....

I've never seen anywhere near 8 mm of ice on the doors of my cars, I'm happy to say :) What I'm worried about is what happens when water gets into the mechanism and freezes, ice is really hard.

My current car has a button on the handle which must be pressed to unlatch the door. When water gets into the mechanism and the temperature then drops to -10 C, I'll have to hit the button hard with the base of my palm to break it free. It will then stick in the depressed position, so the door will not close again, and I have to wriggle the key back and forth and hopefully the thing will come back out in a while. I have had to resort to my blowtorch on several occasions. This never happens with my other car, which has simple handles that you just yank to open.

It's rare for my car to be covered with more than a millimeter or two of ice. 1 mm of cold ice on the windshield takes a tremendous amount of work to remove. After a particularly bad freezing rain I have seen maybe three or four mm on the horizontal surfaces, but that has only happened once.

I have spent a week with my new Model S and the auto-presenting handles have been working very nicely. I approach and the handles pop out, I then grab it and open the door. No issues with hesitation by the door.

Additionally, last night, my neighborhood had 1-2 inches of snow. My car was outside and it was snow covered. There wasn't any ice and after I brushed off the snow, the handles worked perfectly.

I still have not experienced ice frozen on my car so I can't say how well it works when the handles have ice covering it.

When I picked up my car last Friday, i also questioned the DS about this issue as i have young kids, and so he put his hand into the handles while they retracted to show me how they really don't cause any pain or discomfort...I then followed and did the same, and I can tell you that ther was no pain, nor discomfort at all...so I don't think this is an issue.

Personally, I like the auto presenting handles, but I worry about the ice..as the motors on each door handle will be continually trying to push all 4 door handles out when you only need to retract the drivers side if your driving alone....but the DS said that later their would be an update that would allow you to select which door handles you want to auto present..that would be a nice customization.

When I picked up my car last Friday, i also questioned the DS about this issue as i have young kids, and so he put his hand into the handles while they retracted to show me how they really don't cause any pain or discomfort...I then followed and did the same, and I can tell you that ther was no pain, nor discomfort at all...so I don't think this is an issue.
Yep. I verified and there is not a motor retracting the handles - they are spring-loaded. So it's not like a window or something where it has to feel resistance and then release which could cause pain. They got this right IMO.