Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 failed attemps at fixing a Model S door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Dad's 2016 Model S 75 is on its 5th attempt trying to fix the rear passenger door handle. Multiple mobile technicians and multiple attempts to different service centers have failed to fix the issue. The mobile techs and the SC will get the handle working temporarily, allowing them to claim it is fixed and hand the car over, the handle will then return to malfunctioning within a day or two. The behavior of the handle is erratic and the issues arent consistent. After a recalibration, the handle will extend and can be opened after multiple (2/3+) pulls of the handle, once you close the door but keep the car unlocked the handle will recess further than the rest of the handles and would stick out only enough to squeeze your fingers in barely. If you unlocked the car from a locked state, the handle will extend too much and there is movement when pulling on it when attempting to open the door. After a few days, the handle will stay stuck extended even while driving the car around. What can I do to just get the handle working like normal again? The service team has not been helpful at all.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
It is frustrating that Tesla charges for a door handle repair given the obvious design defects. I've had all of my door handles replaced multiple times including 3 iterations of the door handles. Most ICE car door handles are reliable vs Tesla's door handles that will not complete the basic task of opening a door reliably. As the earliest owner of the Model S, I have developed a bad taste in my mouth regarding Tesla Service Centers and their tactics to avoid covering the costs of these type of defective repairs outside of warrantee.

It is amazing to me that Tesla has forgotten the early adaptors that I believe contributed to Tesla's success in immeasurable ways. Long forgotten are the early adaptors that went on social media to spread the good word on Tesla (as Elon requested of us) in lieu of Tesla having to advertise. I've seen so many Tesla Fanboys converted to Tesla haters. Despite owning a very unreliable Model S for over 10 years, I have not yet given up. However, let me share some items that Tesla has covered out of warranty for me and some that they have not. Make no mistake, I have no shame in requesting or demanding items covered after 10 years of owning my then $130,000 car. Why? Because I've had 10 years of aggravation in dealing with going back to the service center for the defects that occurred early on, which have continued over a 10 year span. Please understand, not everyone has the ability to return the car each time there is a premature failure of a car part, if such failures are constant, numerous, and continuous and especially if the same part fails over and over again. Here are the warranty items that Tesla covered and spare me on the comments that I'm very lucky that Tesla covered these items out of warranty. Luck had nothing to do with it and I've earned each of these and I've fought hard on behalf of the early adaptors who had to endure similar problems. I have helped Tesla in so many ways and have worked with them to open many charging stations on my properties and I've done so much for Tesla and I do not believe they have reciprocated the favor. In my case, I have contributed to Tesla's success in measurable ways. So here I reveal my list:

MODEL S FAILURES - VEHICLE STORED IN COOL ENCLOSED GARAGE DURING WORK HOURS AND AT HOME HOURS
Failed HV Battery replacement - under warranty, covered by Tesla
Loud and defective motor replacement - under warranty, covered by Tesla
Defective installation of front windshield replacement - under warranty, covered by Tesla
Failed sunroof motor, under warranty, covered by Tesla
Excessive rattling throughout car - out of warranty, covered by Tesla
Multiple failures of all door handles, replacements - out of warranty, covered by Tesla initially
Continued failures of door handles, replacements - out of warranty, NOT covered by Tesla, pending class action FIGHTING TESLA
Internal dual-charging unit failure, replacement - out of warranty, covered by Tesla
Internal dual-charging unit failure (again), replacement - out of warranty, NOT covered by Tesla
Bubbling of main infotainment screen defect - Investigating, pending litigation or class action FIGHTING TESLA
Bubbling of instrument screen defect - Investigating, pending litigation or class action FIGHTING TESLA
Reset of Homelink without notice to me causing me to re-program to HOA - FIGHTING TESLA

MODEL X FAILURES - VEHICLE STORED IN COOL ENCLOSED GARAGE DURING WORK HOURS AND AT HOME HOURS
HVAC compressor failure prior to 5 years - out of warranty, NOT covered by Tesla - Expensive replacement
Bubbling of main infotainment screen defect - Investigating, pending litigation or class action FIGHTING TESLA
Bubbling of instrument screen defect - Investigating, pending litigation or class action FIGHTING TESLA
Bubbling chrome defects at door handles - Investigating - FIGHTING TESLA
Homelink stopped working after Tesla upgrade - Investigating - FIGHTING TESLA

Have you been treated poorly by your Tesla Service Center? Are you having similar problems on your Model S or Model X? Are you facing attitude from your Service Manager at your Agoura Hills, CA Tesla Service Center? If so, please contact me if you are interested in being compensated. Please join me in getting Tesla to be better than this and don't give up!

Steve - 23rd Model S reservation holder/owner worldwide
259th Model X reservation holder/owner worldwide
Purchase 5 Teslas thus far (Tesla manufacturing is improving, but that does not obviate their responsibility to reciprocate good will to their early adapters)

Last edited:
Reactions: EnergyS