Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation holders: Would you configure & confirm your ModelX without access to one?

Would you configure and confirm your ModelX reservation without access to one to try?

• Yes

Votes: 44 46.3%
  • No, would postpone until tried one

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • No, would cancel if pushed

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sat in Elon's MX at the reveal, but just for a few moments. Not enough quality time and the doors were still open with hoards pushing and shoving.

While I will not need to test drive the car, I will need about 15 minutes of time in the various seats and checking visibility/comfort. This is especially true for the drivers seat.

Reservation holders: Would you configure & confirm your ModelX without access...

If push comes to shove, probably. I don't need to drive one. Not worried about that at all. I would strongly prefer to see one. Esp. to compare 6 vs 7 seat versions. Without seeing, well likely go with 7. Would like to get true sense of storage too.

But we're itching for the extra 50 miles of range.

If waiting to see one in person would create a big delay in my delivery, then I would probably go ahead and configure. But really hoping for an opportunity to see the 6 vs 7 seating to help make the call. But since I resisted all temptation to get an X until I finally caved two weeks ago, don't expect it will be a problem for me.

I am very happy after two years in my Model S, so I would trust Tesla to make Model X as least as good. But I have never opened any backdoor of any car in my garage. I just drive to the front door and let the rest of the family get on board there. Never understood this garage problem.

I want to mess with the falcon wing doors. Open and close them, slide pancakes in and out of them in tight parking spots. Most importantly, open and close them in my garage and check the details of that.

I hadn't considered how much I'd appreciate visually inspecting the 6 vs. 7 seat configuration until reading this thread, but that makes a lot of sense, too.

Wenche, to answer why the garage thing is important to some, you should picture a garage that's attached to the house and is is the main way that people go in and out of the house. Our front door is much farther from the driveway than the garage. If it's raining or the weather's remotely uncomfortable, we walk straight from the house into the garage and get in the dry car, no worries. We never unload at the house except for in the garage.. so it's important to us.

I would configure. I was lucky enough to sit in Elon's x for a while in all seats and waited quite a while for a test ride which was awesome from the front passenger seat. I am also fortunate that I will drive it with second row back and 3rd row folded 98% of the time. I need the 7 seater because as much as I love my dog she rides in the back. I think suction roof rack on one side is a good compromise for long items. Pretty simple too as sensors will see the rack and cargo, or torpedo and not open the drivers side falcon door. Or " sensing" the obstructions only open the lower part of the door. Either one works for me for those rare occasions I need to use a rack. People using a rack on a regular basis could mount the rack just ahead of and behind the falcon doors so the rack with nothing on it would allow falcon door to fully open. The RX 450 hybrid the X will replace has 38" from the back of the second row so if the X has the 50" clear with second row in use there will be a lot more storage than the the RX plus rear lower area and the frunk. Yeah in a perfect world I would like to know more, but at this point the sooner the better. I have been waiting 3 years and 8 months for this puppy and want one for this ski season.

Cheers it is the 13th!

Model X 398, RX 450h, 911 C4

Model X Cargo Measurements

Rear cargo well, 45x15x18" deep, above the cargo shelf, 18" to the curve of the hatch (lowest point). 12" from back of 3rd row to hatch (approx) at top of seat, 15" at bottom of seat back.

3rd row folded, 50" from back of middle seats to hatch when middle seats are all the way back, 60" if they are in their full forward position. 27.5" from folded rear seats to C pillar cross beam, which appears to be a constant as there's a beefy support for the FWD hinge there the full length of the back.

In 6 seat config. You have a 15" gap between the middle seats and an 80" linear space to the back. One of the test ride cars was configured this way with a center console that provided an arm rest.

Frunk is about 44" wide, 22" deep and roughly 15-18" long. (I wasn't able to get that measurement with the crowd)

A 6' man can easily stand up in the 3rd row seat area with the FWD open and the middle seat in forward position for 3rd row access.

Adaptive FWD open/close is amazing to watch with people nearby.

Peter+​

Last edited:
Thanks all so far for responding to the poll. I hadn't intended to create another discussion thread on this, rather poll what others are thinking.

I do note that the few fortunate to sit in one, and the even fewer who rode in one, appear much more positive - and that gives me added confidence, thank you.

I also wanted to say thanks to those sig owners, esp. Bonnie with her "tour", for being gracious enough to show off their earlier Xs for us. Whilst I hope there will be some kind of Tesla roadshow, having head nothing yet I have doubts and this is a great service to us all. Thank You

cheers, Mike

Well, those small stones in your post was exactly what I was referring to. I largely stopped posting here at all after I cancelled and yet you had to go there and accuse me of posting all over the place. BTW, I'm not trying to persuade anyone, just voicing my own opinion although you left out the part where I said "in my view"; and there's no 'grief' here so it's rather presumptuous of you to suggest you know better what's in someone else's head. How about we leave it at that? :)

SORRY Nigel,

Did not mean to make it sound like I was picking on you! :) Although it probably did when I read it again :-( however, I am getting really tiered of all the different people posting that people who do not think it is necessary to see the X before confirming orders are deemed belligerent because we have no clue what we are talking about either....... thats all. No beef with you just saddened that this very nice and civil forum, that you have helped to create, seems to lately be going south.......... :-(