Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused Delivery of Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla under their “Ordering a Used Tesla” webpage specifically states Test drives are not available on Used cars. I doubt they want to add more mileage to the cars, risk an accident with a car and deal with the aftermath of it, and given the cars have had a 70-point check and as CPOs are offered with an mileage or multi-year warranty, feel this provides the potential new owner with a certain level of comfort. Tesla has sold many CPOs this way and I’d venture to say the vast majority of owner have been very happy with their car. If you want to test drive a used Tesla, maybe you are a candidate for the private market, but then you won’t get the CPO warranty that Tesla provides.

Ordering a Used Tesla

View attachment 355426 View attachment 355427

Somehow reading your post with Strike 1, 2 and 3 and the fact you said there were things not on the car you wanted, left me with the impression that you really didn’t want this car by the time you got to Fremont. And I thought the comments about your DS were, well, uncalled for in the least. Sounds like he was trying to be friendly and pleasant and maybe you arrived in a bad mood to begin with. My husband looks many years younger than he is and who knows maybe Dan is closer to your 33 than you thought. This really should not have been a factor in this transaction and goes more to your character than Dan’s. Dan and any supervisors pulled into the test drive issue were following Tesla’s published policy on test drives. You were asking them to go beyond what anyone else is availed of and break company policy.

Their policy of not allowing a test drive of used vehicles would make sense if they stood behind the car and fixed any issues after purchase such as squeaks and rattles that would be discovered only after you drive the car.

Did you know that they recently changed the CPO warranty to exclude squeaks and rattles?

If they are not going to cover squeaks and rattles, the least they could do is offer a test drive so that a customer buying a $65,000 used car does not end up with a problem that won't be fixed under warranty. How is this an unreasonable expectation?

Either have a policy that covers any issues discovered after driving the vehicle or offer customers the ability to test drive the vehicle so they know what it is that they are buying. Not even the shadiest car dealer would refuse a test drive of a used car before purchase and I can;t even believe we are discussing this.

Wow..Some of you guys need to get over yourselves....But anyways OP sorry you wasted your time. I just don't think you should've exposed Dan like that, maybe if Tesla told you no test drive's or (Im not trying to sound like a Smart Aleck) but If you would've at least checked Tesla's site for the Used process then maybe you could've avoided all this headache. I know most people expect to be able to Test Drive a used car so you thought Tesla may have been the same which is understandable...but Tesla is a weird brand so I would've checked (but thats just me).

Reactions: P85_DA
Ordered a CPO and picked up in Fremont. Pretty good experience. My guy looked young too but who cares. Anyhow, while waiting for the text I walked around the lot and found my Tesla. Inspected it. Doors were even open! When I got the text. Went and signed paperwork. 10 mins later I went out with the rep. Noticed a scratch that wasn’t in the pictures sent. They offered to fix it for free. Simple.

You should have taken delivery. Like someone said, if there are real problems with the suspension or something they will fix them. The dent could have been fixed for free too if they didn’t send a pic of it. Better luck next time. I would choose something more local to you. Go in with mindset that they are super busy and these cars basically sell them self. It is what it is. Maybe in 5 years they will have time and energy to improve sales experience but for now it seems like it’s all about production for them. Sorry again for your experience. Don’t give up. I’m so happy with my car. You will be too.

Reactions: Davetp
I learned a long time ago, never to bring kids or the wife into the car buying process, it just adds more drama and wastes everyones time. It sucks that you didn't get the car... hopefully things will improve with their new 3rd party vendor - Current Automotive* handling the CPO transactions... frankly they should just outsource it to EV-CPO.COM. He does a great job on the web interface....

* Current Automotive was co-founded by two Tesla veterans, Current Automotive is the premier source for pre-owned electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles. The team is dedicated to helping customers transition to sustainable transportation and sources late model, low mileage vehicles with the right options that contain a generous balance of factory warranties. Current Automotive is headquartered in the Chicago metro area with plans to expand nationally.

I learned a long time ago, never to bring kids or the wife into the car buying process, it just adds more drama and wastes everyones time. It sucks that you didn't get the car... hopefully things will improve with their new 3rd party vendor - Current Automotive* handling the CPO transactions... frankly they should just outsource it to EV-CPO.COM. He does a great job on the web interface....

* Current Automotive was co-founded by two Tesla veterans, Current Automotive is the premier source for pre-owned electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles. The team is dedicated to helping customers transition to sustainable transportation and sources late model, low mileage vehicles with the right options that contain a generous balance of factory warranties. Current Automotive is headquartered in the Chicago metro area with plans to expand nationally.

This is indeed good advice! Especially the way things are now. Even otherwise, I doubt I'd ever take a kid to purchase a car as it adds a whole other layer of stress on top of everything else.

I still think they should hire the person who runs the CPO Program for Audi, Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche as they all run exceptional CPO programs with some generating more revenue per CPO car than a new car.

Thanks for the information about Current Automotive. How did you find this? :) The most important question is what warranty options they offer. Would they offer cars with a 4 year CPO warranty, preferably with the ability ti inspect and test drive the used car before purchase?

From my brief visit to their Web site I found lacking the most important aspect of buying a used car: warranty coverage. Seems like they are selling the cars with just the balance of the factory with no details I could see for extending the warranty which is hardly ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I saw a post somewhere that Tesla was looking at 3rd party options in order to capitalize on the massive backlog of Model S trades and they wanted to recognize CPO revenue before year end as part of the new profitability push.
Also, a LLS (low level source), told me to sit tight until December to get my son a used Model S for under $25K, he also mentioned two other companies, but I can't remember who they were.....I remembered Current - because well, its Current that moves the Tesla. Also not sure they are the "official" channel yet, but I know that Tesla is exploring options for used car channels.... I will go back and look for the weblink... it was on a third party site like EVNEWS or one of the other sites like that - one of the other vendors was a huge auction house buyer in the NE.... found it....

“To manage a growing used car business, Tesla is relying on outside firms, including Manheim and Adesa KAR , according to two people familiar with the situation. These businesses help move and manage used cars, putting them through inspections, reconditioning and sales to wholesale customers.”

The Goal: "30-day or less turn-rate in the sale of pre-owned inventory."

Tesla partners with car auction firms to sell more used cars, report says

Last edited:
This is indeed good advice! Especially the way things are now. Even otherwise, I doubt I'd ever take a kid to purchase a car as it adds a whole other layer of stress on top of everything else.

I still think they should hire the person who runs the CPO Program for Audi, Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche as they all run exceptional CPO programs with some generating more revenue per CPO car than a new car.

Thanks for the information about Current Automotive. How did you find this? :) The most important question is what warranty options they offer. Would they offer cars with a 4 year CPO warranty, preferably with the ability ti inspect and test drive the used car before purchase?

From my brief visit to their Web site I found lacking the most important aspect of buying a used car: warranty coverage. Seems like they are selling the cars with just the balance of the factory with no details I could see for extending the warranty which is hardly ideal.
They have a couple positions posted, they call it the "Remarketing Manager" I would love to work with Tesla, but my price would be way outside their budget.

I saw a post somewhere that Tesla was looking at 3rd party options in order to capitalize on the massive backlog of Model S trades and they wanted to recognize CPO revenue before year end as part of the new profitability push.
Also, a LLS (low level source), told me to sit tight until December to get my son a used Model S for under $25K, he also mentioned two other companies, but I can't remember who they were.....I remembered Current - because well, its Current that moves the Tesla. Also not sure they are the "official" channel yet, but I know that Tesla is exploring options for used car channels.... I will go back and look for the weblink... it was on a third party site like EVNEWS or one of the other sites like that - one of the other vendors was a huge auction house buyer in the NE.... found it....

“To manage a growing used car business, Tesla is relying on outside firms, including Manheim and Adesa KAR , according to two people familiar with the situation. These businesses help move and manage used cars, putting them through inspections, reconditioning and sales to wholesale customers.”

The Goal: "30-day or less turn-rate in the sale of pre-owned inventory."

Tesla partners with car auction firms to sell more used cars, report says

This is super informative. Thanks! I still see nothing about the most important aspect of this transaction... the 4 year CPO warranty. Any word on if these cars will come with a 4 year warranty, as otherwise they will be no different compared to the hundreds of used Tesla vehicles you can already buy at car dealers.

I also found this interesting...

“To manage a growing used car business, Tesla is relying on outside firms, including Manheim and Adesa KAR , according to two people familiar with the situation. These businesses help move and manage used cars, putting them through inspections, reconditioning and sales to wholesale customers.

Why can't they not do all of the above but instead sell at a higher price to actual customers with a 4 year CPO warranty rather than sell the cars at a lower wholesale price? Being able to buy a CPO car that has been reconditioned fixes most of the present issues.

Reactions: P85_DA
This is super informative. Thanks! I still see nothing about the most important aspect of this transaction... the 4 year CPO warranty. Any word on if these cars will come with a 4 year warranty, as otherwise they will be no different compared to the hundreds of used Tesla vehicles you can already buy at car dealers.

I also found this interesting...

“To manage a growing used car business, Tesla is relying on outside firms, including Manheim and Adesa KAR , according to two people familiar with the situation. These businesses help move and manage used cars, putting them through inspections, reconditioning and sales to wholesale customers.

Why can't they not do all of the above but instead sell at a higher price to actual customers with a 4 year CPO warranty rather than sell the cars at a lower wholesale price? Being able to buy a CPO car that has been reconditioned fixes most of the present issues.
You got me... when Tesla matures, they will figure out that this can be the most profitable business line.. until then....

I really want a S85 RWD... need the range for trips to the beach and college, it can be a stripped model, but definitely want an S85 for the warranty... (8 year unlimited) I don't believe the S40 and S60 don't come with the unlimited mileage battery or unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty. The same reason I'm not considering a Model 3 new or used. That limited DU and battery warranty makes me nervous...

Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of:
  • Model S and Model X - 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015 that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first).
  • Model 3 with Standard or Mid-Range Battery - 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period.
  • Model 3 with Long Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles (192,000 km), whichever comesfirst, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period.

Last edited:
I think the S70 is covered for 8 year unlimited too...

just not the 60 and 40 (which have the same battery, just software limited i believe).
Depends on what year you're talking about. If you're talking bout the facelift cars then the 60/70/75 all have the same battery with software limits while the 90/100 are seperate batteries. If you're talking about the original style the 40/60 share the same battery while the 70/85/90 are all separate batteries.