Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realist gets Real ;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. The Realist likes the P85D for what it is.

I also tried some fast Autobahn speeds. On the A9 at speeds between 170-190 km/h it's capable of up to 150km range which is more than I expected. I am happy to have a Supercharger almost next to my office in Schweitenkirchen :-D

Thanks. The Realist likes the P85D for what it is.
I also tried some fast Autobahn speeds. On the A9 at speeds between 170-190 km/h it's capable of up to 150km range which is more than I expected. I am happy to have a Supercharger almost next to my office in Schweitenkirchen :-D

I was betting that you will be very disappointed, so I am surprised by the fair reviews. I am also German and before I moved to the US my lasts cars where a MB 600 SEL and the first Porsche Twin Turbo model build. Non Germans do not understand what kind of "racing" is the daily norm on the Autobahn. Yes it got much less since there are speed limits almost everywhere and to much traffic during the day. Therefore I did long trips during the night and 150 mph was the norm. With the 12 cylinder MB you could just switch the cruise control on and relax. Consumption was terrible and the 24 gallon tank was empty after about 200 miles. But I could drive 150 mph for almost two hours straight (with of course braking and accelerating between when a car went in my lane), no way to do this in any MS.

I LOVE my P85D on the US streets. I am not sure if I would have bought one in Germany. Even if the top speed is now 155 mph (I have 6.2. but unfortunately did not have the location to test) I assume the MS will run at that speed for one minute and than reduce power due to overheat, and if not, the battery will be depleted most likely in 20 miles. Please test this and give us some feedback, this is very interesting !

There is no way one will be able to follow an RS6 or AMG 6.3 on the autobahn, but one beats them at any traffic light.

The problem lies mostly in the battery which is just to small for the P85D, and of course the missing gearbox. I am excited for the future of my car though because I am sure one day the 691 HP will be available (not <500 like now) and then it will be different. If Tesla will not be able to make batteries with much higher discharge rate, I hope we get a super capacitor in between the battery and the inverted. You do not need 690 HP to run 150 mph, but to get there as fast as possible and that only needs a few seconds and than the battery can recharge the super capacitor,

I tried the P85+ before so I knew what to expect. I think the P85D is faster even at higher speed. I have the 6.2 update but the car is still limited to 210kph. I believe 250kph will destroy range, energy consumption could reach 2kw/km or more.

I believe Tesla is already very close to what is possible in an electric car for the road for now. I never expected the P85D to hunt AMGs or Porsche 911. You can do that in the i8 which is remarkable. Indeed, above 100mph the P85D will not pull away from a 300hp Diesel sedan anymore. That experience tells me that most car companies will go the Plug-In Hybrid Route for their Performance cars for quite some time. That power war has just began.

Anyway that doesn't really shrink the Tesla's appeal. This is the only electric car to be taken seriously. Try to push an BMW i3 on the Autobahn. It doesn't even see 100mph not to mention its pathetic range. Truth is I can travel anywhere in Europe at a decent pace for free with the Supercharger. And the car feels so safe and secure. My wife never ever liked a car more than this one.

For the moment I don't miss the high speed rush.

Not yet.

I tried the P85+ before so I knew what to expect. I think the P85D is faster even at higher speed. I have the 6.2 update but the car is still limited to 210kph. I believe 250kph will destroy range, energy consumption could reach 2kw/km or more.

Well, it will definitely destroy range, but not as bad as 2kwh/km.

Just some quick math:
-Power consumption at 215kph -> ~105kw (From this vid) (interpolating the log scale @ roughly 40% between 80-160)
-Power consumption rises with the cube of speed so: 105*(250/215)^3 -> 165kw @ 250kph
-Fullcharge: 75kwh useable in the pack.
- 75kwh/165kw -> 0.45 hours @ 250kph -> 114km range. So that would be 75kwh/114km -> 0.65kwh/km
- Even if you make more conservative assumptions, consumption probably won't reach 1kwh/km.

Really you use a lot more power (and energy) when accelerating hard repeatedly (even on a low speed track) then going straight at top speed.

I too must admit I'm more than surprised. I expected negative response, but got more than a fair review. Reealist got real, indeed.

155 mph is there for a checkmark on feature list. It Takes doubled capacity for a 'usable'150mph range .

I just cant do a +1, so I'll put in the effort and say "Congratulations Realist." I have been reading your threads over the years and noticed how you fearlessly took on both the mods and fan boys singled-handedly (I am also a fan boy but decided against joining the fray). I loved that you ended up with your own thread "Realist Isn't Happy" LOL. I'm glad you are enjoying your new toy. Even though the Model S is far from perfect, yet with all its many faults I think you can now understand what drove us all to fanboyism - it is just so cool - there is no other car on the market today at any price that I would rather have.

Elon Musk is not lying but I think he is clearly overestimating himself. And he is certainly no new Steve Jobs.

One example: Tesla’s supercharger model is just a complete waste of energy. Of course he is offering the power for free, so nobody actually realizes the massive charging losses. This is the only reason why the others are not turning to such a solution. The charging losses and the waste of energy are enormous! It is not a sustainable business model.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...o-shorted-TSLA?p=371347&viewfull=1#post371347

Just keeping it real :biggrin: When an uber bear buys the product you know the company is on the right track.

For the moment I don't miss the high speed rush.

You can have the best of both worlds. I have an older Corvette that I beat up on the racetrack from time to time. You definitely get the speed rush out of your system, and it's far more fun, challenging, and safer to do that on a track. Also if you break the car it's not nearly as expensive...

Glad you have been won over by the car, Realist.

Just thought I would throw this out there, the car was designed to be the best daily driver you could buy while also being electric. This, in turn, makes it not so great a racecar. I mean, it still does fabulous all around, but there are clearly other cars designed for such purposes. I don't think anyone has ever said the Model S was a track car, nor should it be. I look forward to the day we see the Roadster 4.0 (I guess it needs to be that now, since they are calling the upgrade the 3.0, right?). I hope that car is truly the racecar/supercar that everyone keeps trying to make the Model S out to be and it truly blows the socks off all other cars out there.

And with a true supercar type (given the higher price) they could stick a gearbox in it that can handle the torque without cost being too much of a concern. Because I really think a big reason we have lower 60-top speed times is a lack of a second gear. Even with the second motor in the P85D, the car really loses performance once you hit around 45-50 MPH. Which would be roughly the ideal point to change gears if it were available.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...o-shorted-TSLA?p=371347&viewfull=1#post371347

Just keeping it real :biggrin: When an uber bear buys the product you know the company is on the right track.

Funny to read that. I admit at that time I had no clue how this superchargers really work.
In fact the superchargers are essential to the car’s success. Without them I’d never bought the P85D.In my opinion range anxiety is still the main issue for most costumers when buying an electric car. This issue could prevent the established car manufacturers to go purely electric. I believe we will see many plug-in hybrid cars in the near future but the Tesla could stay unique for quite some time.

Good to see that the Tesla works out for you.

I can't share your claim that you "can travel anywhere in Europe at a decent pace for free with the Supercharger", though. Despite the huge growth of the network its coverage is still quite limited. There are basically no superchargers along the whole of Europe's Atlantic seaboard. Try travelling to and within Brittany, to give just one example. What about Spain and Italy to the South of Bologna?