Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner of a 2014 P85D, considering a different model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I'm a new owner of a 2014 P85D and I'm considering selling and buying a different Tesla: either a 2017 or newer non performance dual motor like a 100D (would not be all that much more than I paid for the P85D), or even something like a Model 3. Also considering a lightly used Ioniq 5.

I recently started noticing a noise on acceleration that sounds like the well documented milling from the LDU. It's out of warranty, but the cost doesn't seem that prohibitive to fix. However, it also seems like the remanufactured large drive unit put back into the car might also develop the same problem down the line, and I'm not too keen on having to keep putting in motors out of warranty.

Reading these forums it seems like it's easy to get upside down on the vehicle if the HV battery needs to be replaced as well. The cost of replacing the pack makes long term ownership of the car tricky to pencil out. A $24k 10 year old used car + a $16k battery = $40k I might have been better off just putting into a newer car now.

We don't drive very much (maybe 5,000 - 6,000 miles a year) and I charge at home so the gas savings/free supercharging aren't of that much value to me. Mainly I'd like an electric vehicle that's good for around town driving but that is a better long term bet on these sort of motor/battery reliability.

I'd love any advice more knowledgeable Tesla owners about which Model S/Model 3 they'd personally buy in my situation (or whether you'd just keep going with the current vehicle).

I think you'll be fine for a very long time in that car. You have a small window to maybe trade that in for a Model Y and transfer the free Supercharging.

But I'd wait until you run into an expensive repair and can then decide what to do.

Reactions: Kaskaskia309
Thank you. Is the milling noise something that means the motor will fail in the short/medium term?

Will a replacement LDU simply fail as well over time, or have newer units solved the oil/coolant separation problem?
The milling noise...I don't think anyone REALLY knows honestly. What I DO know is that when I purchased my 2014 S 60 almost 2 years ago I did it partially off the strength that the LDU was JUST replaced under warranty. My car has been wonderful to be honest. My fit and finish is really good. No noises AT ALL. It's bank vault quite.

It's at the service center right now to have the LDU replaced. Although mine is a 60, the LDU is the same as yours. I'm paying for this repair, no warranty. It went from $7500, to $6500, to $6800, to $9200 for the replacement. They've had my car since the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. The bolts are rusty, they want to replace dang near the entire rear suspension. They're destroying the bushings as they remove the rusty bolts....they're snapping, they heat them, kill the bushings. They don't press new bushings in. They replace the entire knuckle assembly. I think your idea to punt it NOW for a newer S or 3 is sound logic. I for one would do it sooner rather then later......actually, I'm hopeful that you've already done so. For your wallets sake.

Reactions: donebyforty
half shaft noise is in the front, milling noise is in the back.. and they are both distinctive and different.
The milling noise does not portend an impending failure, it is just a very annoying sound.
check the battery label on your vehicle (inside passenger fender well on the battery)... you may have a replaced battery, you never know... that would change your perspective of possible future expenses.
considering the thread started over 3 months ago, what did you do OP?