Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real Usable Battery Capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a chart that shows the battery level at each charge level on the car battery marks?

Full charge is 100% = 70kwh
The first notch is 90% so that = x amount of charge
etc...

I've found a pretty real world estimate would be 75.9*Percentage will give you a pretty precise quantification of how many Kwh are left in the "usable" part of the 85Kwh battery.

ie : 75.9*.9= 68.31Kwh

1NB722AgWWCdCSiSGS6DTy6Ea8-5Rft02ItVwNg.png

Hm, I thought I had posted it to this thread, but maybe it was another similar one. Here's one of my most extreme examples of driving ;)

1557244_470278563105941_301007228_o.jpg

This was on 5.8.4 firmware so there seems to be some reserve left still and it looks like the 81.1kWh from 100% to bricking protection is fairly accurate. However these days with 5.9 I've not been able to get anywhere close to that amount of kWh before I hit 0% so it's hard to say. Haven't been able to push it either and haven't had the opportunity in a safe environment to test.

The latest close to 0% encounter was when I drove over 420km and in the middle recharged for 1h at 3x13A adding 40km. That should be 7.6-8kWh. I then reached my destination and the car showed Charge Now just as I pulled in. Here's the pic:
10293729_532521343548329_5577696415741583093_o.jpg

Now if you do the math and remove the 7.6kWh from it, then you end up with 74.1kWh for 100% -> 0% and this is on 5.9 where as I understood most of the hidden reserve was brought back to above 0. Now it could be that I've lost that much range, but it's unlikely as my car charged a week ago to 505km range and at the same time my used average 190Wh/km is below the rated range of 200Wh/km so I'm a bit puzzled recently.

Hi Kalud,

Do you have this data for 60 kWh model S? I was told by Tesla that you would normally have 56 kWh to use out of 60. I saw on the fueleconomy.gov website the car gets 350 watt-hours/mile fuel economy (35 kWh to go 100 miles). SO if this is the case then the best the Model S can do on range is 56/.35 or 160 miles. this is no the 208 miles offered as the range. My friend has only been able to get 160 miles max on the highway. Anyone else here able to get 208 or higher and if so under what conditions.

I'm not an expert on the model S, and I don't have exactly what you asked for. The EPA 350Wh/mile number is from the wall, though. All EVs have substantial charging losses which are included in that number - on the Volt it is usually around 20% or so. I don't have a number handy for the model S, but I suspect it is in the same neighborhood. Since you're using power from the battery in your math, you should be using efficiency from the battery too - which should put you a lot closer to 200 miles.

(This loss is a mix of electricity lost to heat in changing AC to DC and raising the voltage plus both sides of the electrical-chemical-electrical round trip in the battery. On an advanced car like the Volt or Model S, it also includes electricity to run the battery thermal management system during the charge.)
Walter

I drive mostly highway 75-80mph. I take off about 10-15 miles from what is shown going those speeds and the terrain I drive. The range buffer is nice to have.

In my MS60 on a way back from the SC. I was pulling into a supercharger.

1mile.jpg

Here is a screen shot I found. It shows a hidden screen that only Tesla service can access. The interesting part is the state of charge showing 82.2% and then remaining 'ideal' capacity of 65.5 kWh. If 82.2% = 65.5 kWh, then 100% = 79.68 kWh of ideal range. I think that this will once and for all show that the nice illustration about the battery capacity that is posted over and over is inaccurate. "Ideal miles" is based on 265 Wh/miles which means very gentle driving. But either way, based on Tesla's own in car data the total usable capacity is 79.68 kWh.

totalCapa.JPG

Here is a screen shot I found. It shows a hidden screen that only Tesla service can access. The interesting part is the state of charge showing 82.2% and then remaining 'ideal' capacity of 65.5 kWh. If 82.2% = 65.5 kWh, then 100% = 79.68 kWh of ideal range. I think that this will once and for all show that the nice illustration about the battery capacity that is posted over and over is inaccurate. "Ideal miles" is based on 265 Wh/miles which means very gentle driving. But either way, based on Tesla's own in car data the total usable capacity is 79.68 kWh.

View attachment 69840

Good Job

View attachment 69840

It's seen speculated[1] that even at 100% the batteries are charged to ~4.15V (rather than 4.20) in order to maximize longevity. I wonder if all numbers in those screens reference 4.15 as the max charge.

I'll also note that the car seems to be able to measure current flow on the 12v battery and there's only a ~10W draw on the car at the moment while in park, but obviously on.

[1] In part due to knowledge of the Roadster systems

It's seen speculated[1] that even at 100% the batteries are charged to ~4.15V (rather than 4.20) in order to maximize longevity. I wonder if all numbers in those screens reference 4.15 as the max charge.
[1] In part due to knowledge of the Roadster systems

To me the word 'remaining' means how much is left in the battery. I don't think Tesla ever charges the battery to 4.2 Volt (or whatever the real 'full' status would be on their cells. That's just asking to kill the cells. But at the same time, remaining doesn't say if that's how much until the battery shuts down to protect itself or if that is the total amount until absolute zero.

Last edited:
To me the word 'remaining' means how much is left in the battery. I don't think Tesla ever charges the battery to 4.2 Volt (or whatever the real 'full' status would be on their cells. That's just asking to kill the cells. But at the same time, remaining doesn't say if that's how much until the battery shits down to protect itself or if that is the total amount until absolute zero.

Yeah, but it would be interesting to know what 100% SOC corresponds too, and/or if the 85kW capacity includes the 0.05V that is out of reach...

i think the 85kWh number is a nominal capacity rating that would require charging at 4.2 volts to reach. This is based upon how Panasonic refers to the energy rating of their cells found in various papers and presentations. Not sure that Tesla's "100% SOC" means using the 4.2V for charging or not--haven't reversed it yet, but i suspect that David's 79.7 kWh equals Tesla's 100%.

For example a 3.3 Ah cell would have nominal energy (at the nominal 3.6V) of 11.96 Wh; 7104 cells x 11.96 = nominal 85 kWh pack rating.
Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 3.54.20 PM.png

However charging at 4.2V degrades the capacity quicker (i.e. in fewer cycles) than at 4.1V, and likely why Tesla leaves margins at both the top and bottom of the "nominal" cell voltage range:
Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 3.37.45 PM.png

Doesn't Tesla's energy app use 300 Wh/mi to determine rated range? If so, that would point to 79.5 kWh usable capacity from 100% to discharge event (past zero).

For the classic (non D) model S, 300 Wh/mi applies for charging from a Supercharger, but I have found that 290 Wh/mi works best for discharge, and with AC charger inefficiency it takes 333 Wh/mi from the wall for rated miles.