Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REAL Pictures of Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my mind, there are far too many "colorless" cars on the road, i.e. cars along the gray scale. White, gray, silver, black -- last time I was at my Audi dealership, the only spot of color in the parking lot was my shockingly red A3.

Neither red will be available for my Model S (not Sig, but 2012 delivery), so green, blue, and brown are the contenders. I haven't seen a great picture of the green that makes me stand up and salute, but gg_wants_a_tesla and others really liked it in person. Arggg....

Neither red will be available for my Model S (not Sig, but 2012 delivery), so green, blue, and brown are the contenders. I haven't seen a great picture of the green that makes me stand up and salute, but gg_wants_a_tesla and others really liked it in person. Arggg....

I eliminated Brown straight off the bat as we have a brown car already (and consequently, my wife voted it down) but, I'd actually rank Brown ahead of Green and Blue. It's really sexy as AnOutsider put it. It looks as good in person as it does in pics.

The Blue was deeper/darker (as Kipernicus noted) than I imagined (after spotting the painted frame in one of the 'Inside Tesla' blog factory pics). So, it looked more black than blue in the shade for sure and bright sunlight didn't do too much for it.

Trust me on the Green, Robert! Between you and I, given our reservation numbers, we can have a couple of awesome-looking Greens being delivered to both coasts at about the same time!

*EDIT*: on the issue of colors, maybe restating the obvious but, poor computer monitors could partly be at fault in not showing the pics right (assuming the cameras were good in the first place). The pics that I took looked like crap on my 3-year-old, cheapo Asus laptop (and also on my Samsung monitor at work) but, looked true on my new retina-display iPad.

Last edited:
Trust me on the Green, Robert! Between you and I, given our reservation numbers, we can have a couple of awesome-looking Greens being delivered to both coasts at about the same time!

So, is the "final" green (i.e. the green on the test drive car) different to the green on the sample in the stores? I looked at the green sample in the LA store some weeks ago, and it was just barely green in indirect light, and completely gray in direct sunlight.

So, is the "final" green (i.e. the green on the test drive car) different to the green on the sample in the stores? I looked at the green sample in the LA store some weeks ago, and it was just barely green in indirect light, and completely gray in direct sunlight.

Yes, the samples (and they were there in the test drive waiting lounge too) are definitely off on most of the colors, the Green for sure. One of the Tesla reps manning the samples table said as much.

Having paid for a Sig brown, I have this: The word is that "all the colors won't suddenly be available at the end of the Signature run". It will take time to set them up, one at a time. No one knows at present what color will be added or when, and brown, or blue, or green, or grey, will be months after the Sig run. All these cars were done as custom colors, hand painted. They did not go through the robot paint line. The only paints the robots have been programmed for are black, white, silver, and Sig Red, which will go away.

Don't plan on getting any color you want at the head of the P list.

This is not true - only the sunset red was hand-painted, the gray/green/brown/blue were painted through the robot paint line. If the signature run goes into September/October, I bet all colors but Sunset will be available for the P list

Last edited:
This is not true - only the sunset red was hand-painted, the gray/green/brown/blue were painted through the robot paint line. If the signature run goes into September/October, I bet all colors will be available for the P list

I'm happy to hear you know more about it. I wanted brown and was told it would be several months after P started if I chose to jump off the Sig list and wait for brown. I was also told that the robots had to be programmed and I also heard that all the colors except Sig colors were hand painted. This by the guy in charge of painting. So, I guess I was wrong. Glad to hear it.

Last edited:
I'm happy to hear you know more about it. I wanted brown and was told it would be several months after P started if I chose to jump of the Sig list and wait for brown. I was also told that the robots had to be programmed and I also heard that all the colors except Sig colors were hand painted. This by the guy in charge of painting. So, I guess I was wrong. Glad to hear it.

What was the name of "the guy in charge of painting"? He seems to have been misinformed.

I like the brown too, having never owned a brown car...it just does sound cool. sure, I could describe it to my friends as chocolate or coffee (metallic coffee, technically!), but they'd all reply with 'you got a brown car'?? Obviously, when face to face with it they'll see the light, but on paper, a brown car just doesn't sound sexy! The blue would be my second choice, but only from the photos, I'd need to see them both before deciding. Unfortunately/luckily I have plenty of time to wait.

My only experience with brown cars is seeing them on the road after three or four years when they look really dated (of course, they still looked better than MaryKay pink).

What did people think of the Sig Red with performance wheels (if that was there)? I think I'm going to switch back to performance wheels.
Called Bellevue earlier today. Personal opinion offered was that the carbon fiber accents on the Perf work well with the dark wheels.

They have the red with silver today. They won't know for a week or so if the touring vehicles for Amped tour will include red with dark wheels for the Bellevue visit.

From the teslamotors forum, Rod and Barbara (Founders #17 - VIN FF00017) have posted pictures of their car here:

Picasa Web Albums - Rod Womer To my eye, it looks like Tesla has definitely improved the fit and finish on the trunk and frunk areas of their car compared to some of the Get Amped cars.

They have had their Model S since July 27th and have been very helpful with answering questions about many items about the car. Here is a sample of one of their posts on the forum:

'Rod was out of town on July 27, so Barbara accepted delivery of our car last Friday.

Our Model S is equipped as follows: non-performance, signature red exterior, tan and obeche wood gloss interior, pano roof, 19” wheels, rear-facing seats, paint armor and Roadster HPC adaptor.

Our VIN is …FF00017. A senior Tesla representative told us that the Special Signature VINs will start with …FS00001 and count up. When the Signature cars are manufactured the VIN sequence will continue to count up from the last Special Signature car manufactured (i.e. Signature #1 will have a VIN on the order of …FS00250).'

The entire post is here, about half way down the page: Model S Deliveries - latest actual info on dates and vehicles being delivered | Forums | Tesla Motors

They seem like super nice people and are a great resource for anyone who has questions.

895abf3a873411e2b8f122000a1f9345_6.jpg

My wife took this picture of a Model S, from a Model S, while we were on the way to try the Gilroy supercharger.

The car in the mirror is the green Model S seen in the thread Supercharger demand is increasing in Gilroy.

Made in the USA!